Worrying about light

Noobtacular

Well i'm trying to setup a closet grow space, and i've gotten all the things i need, but im horrified about the light. The space isn't big, and i'm not going to be trying to go wild with it maybe one plant since its my first time. For the space though i picked out a 150 watt halogen light, i don't know much about all this stuff, but when i turned the light on i wanted to see if there'd be anything to worry about and at least to me the light was too hot to go along with my plan until i got a little information.
My question is could the light cause a fire in the closet?

I had heard that it could happen depending on how the temperature is kept in the closet, and well its usually hot here since im in thailand.

Will i need to make something for ventilation or will a simple opening the closet once or twice a day do the trick.
Thanks to anyone who can help me out

well first off...you don't have the right type of light. Halogens are great for lighting up the back yard but have the wrong spectrum for growing. High pressure sodium, metal halide or floros are what works. For veg some LED's even produce the right spectrum but they don't flower very well yet. Halogens convert way too much energy into heat as well and yes...a light could start a fire if left too close to a combustable source. Floros burn cooler and are a lot less of a fire danger but it takes a lot of them to equal what a mh or hps provides.
You need to read this...
How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

I wish you luck, but I think that like myself, you are starting prematurely. If you don't even know you can't use a halogen, you have a LOT to learn. I mean that with all due respect. I would recommend you study these forums for a few months and read all you can before you really try. Also, make sure you have the money in it to do it right. If you can't afford all the things you think you'll need, you should not try yet. It will save you the risk of having several years of problems like I did. An incomplete grow will then require more money and time to finish setting up, and if you're already growing then it can become a real nightmare which usually results in dead plants.

Back
Top Bottom