Closet Grow Ventilation Q

ThisBuds4U

I have an extra bedroom and closet not in use... The total area of the closet is about 22.5 sq ft. (5.5 by 4). Useable growing space i calculated to be about 9 or ten sq feet. Leaving me about a foot around in work space if needed. I was originally planning on doing a cfl grow, but was wondering if I could get away with using simple desk fans and maybe leaving the closet door cracked, or open for a 250 or 400 mh/hps setup. The bedroom has central ac, and the house stays between 70 and 80 degrees.
Can this be done or will it get too hot? I already put up the mylar in the closet, and the removable shelves will work great to suspend lights from. The bedroom can be light sealed. Would a 3 sided grow closet reflect light properly?

Re: Closet Grow Ventilation Q.

Without active exhaust, you can not put any gas discharge lamps (HPS, MH, etc...) in an enclosed space.

Those lamps are frighteningly hot, and will drive up the ambient temps in no time.

I would go with CFLs or LEDs if you are unable to establish a solid intake/exhaust system -- IE, a grow tent or sealed grow room that has a fan venting the hot air from the lamp and/or from the area itself.

Also, gas discharge lamps are old school technology, require huge, inefficient ballasts to run, and put out most of their light in a spectral range that is useless to plants.

It seems like you want to use the air in the room to cool the closet, so I would go with the lowest heat-generating lamps you can, or the temps in the closet will get very high very quickly.

:goodluck:

Re: Closet Grow Ventilation Q.

yeah i was pretty much going to try to use the cool air in the room as my main cooling source, with fans to circulate air. Is it just not gonna work out that way? should I just stick with the cfl's and close the closet door? or will leaving it open be a better idea?

Hid lights are old school and i have a digital ballist that is new technology. It is scientificly proven that hid works better and produces more yeild than anyother light. I use a air cooled hood with intake/exhaust and my 1000 watt light can be on top of my canopy and my temp. stays. If you are going to grow do it right. T-5s are good if using clfs or T-8s i would'nt use anything else. I don't have a problem with people who use T-5s or T-8s ,but the post by decob is not accurate or right. Even if you use clfs you need a intake and exhuast to keep good air flow in the room so you don't have stagnet air and good humitity. For a good grow do it right. Find what way is best for you and profect it. There is alot of exp. on this site and us old dogs do keep up with the latest and greatest technology in the world. Just cause we old don't mean we don't. Good Luck

well i'm not trying to do a whole room grow, so I wasnt going to try a huge light, I just figured with the space, about 9 or 10 sq feet, i could get away with the central air cooling the main room, with fans to circulate air in and out of the closet. I was hoping to dodge cutting for ventilation if any way possible. Anybody have any experience with my situatuion. I know people doing cfl grows in limited space, but I think a 250... MAYBE a 400 should be sufficient. I do have some cfl for side lighting, just wanted a good "main light source".

well i'm not trying to do a whole room grow, so I wasnt going to try a huge light, I just figured with the space, about 9 or 10 sq feet, i could get away with the central air cooling the main room, with fans to circulate air in and out of the closet. I was hoping to dodge cutting for ventilation if any way possible. Anybody have any experience with my situatuion. I know people doing cfl grows in limited space, but I think a 250... MAYBE a 400 should be sufficient. I do have some cfl for side lighting, just wanted a good "main light source".

I have to agree with tizz...I'm building a small grow cab right now with a 250w HID setup and I tested it yesterday in a couple of different configurations. I need more ventilation and higher cfm computer fans..the temps got way out of control quickly with what I had.

That will be changing. I'm adding 12" to the vertical height of the box and adding an additional fan for exhaust perhaps a low intake cfm fan for air intake.

It's critical to have good airflow and it's worth every consideration. Just my .02

I have a growbox similar in size ( your SF) mines a 2' x 2', I did some research and the CFL vs HPS in my size was cheaper, less heat generated, and control spectrum s a bit, but youll take a hit in pk,ant penetrating, the HPS will penetrate the plant much more. But with a good CFL layout with correct Watt/ SF and Lumens/ SF and right color temps, you can grow decent yields with CFLs. Also it can be easily ventilated with a right configuration of fans. Just for smaller personal grows CFL seems like a "safer" route to go. Safer as in less heat, etc.

Just my opinion though! I'm still learning! Hope this helps a little.

:goodluck:

I have a 2x2 space as well and went with a 250w HPS system (I use a CMH though). My advice is to get the biggest you can afford to ventilate. CFL's are nice as shown by several members of this forum, but they still can't quite compare to a HID IMO.

:peacetwo:

Marley

I've been studying this and other sites for the last 2 months nonstop. Hands down, HID is the way to go for just about any grow space for the maximum benefit.

T5's can work, CFL's can work as can LED's. When it comes to best yeilds and quality, HID is king according to everything I've studied.

The challenge is dispelling heat and the trade off is cost to operate. How well your individual grow goes is dependent on so many factors all having to do with plant environment; soil, hydro, temps, nutes, lighting...they are all important and given that all things are equal, I'm sure awesome budz can be grown with just about any light listed above.

I'm going with HID..I might change later but for now, I'm going with what's been proven to work for the majority.

Again, just what I've read and studied and my opinion.

:thanks:

Well I use CFL's and they work just fine for me. My space is about 2x3x5 and these lights work quite well for my situation. Details about the lights used are indepth in my journal, but U got {4} 42 watt {3} 13 watt and a 32 watt bulb. It takes a few minutes for my eyes to ajust to how bright the lights are when I open the door. Even with these few cfl's I had heat and proper air flow issues. It took me some time but I figured it out and now my girls are growing good.

I just wanted to add that..

Best of luck with whatever you do..

Well I use CFL's and they work just fine for me. My space is about 2x3x5 and these lights work quite well for my situation. Details about the lights used are indepth in my journal, but U got {4} 42 watt {3} 13 watt and a 32 watt bulb. It takes a few minutes for my eyes to ajust to how bright the lights are when I open the door. Even with these few cfl's I had heat and proper air flow issues. It took me some time but I figured it out and now my girls are growing good.

I just wanted to add that..

Best of luck with whatever you do..

I've heard and seen so many examples of CFL's working so well..they are a great option and I was shocked when I first began studying this stuff at how well they work.

Cannabis is such a hearty plant...the grow "systems" I've seen, cardboard boxes, random dirt...LOL it's amazing what an incredible plant it is and so many uses..

I'm happy to be part of such a great board..

Back
Top Bottom