Procedural Question

marillion

So I had an interview and had to drop a urine on the spot which I was not prepared for. Have been clean approximately 25-30 days so there is a possibility it could come back dirty I guess. I just thought that after a couple weeks I would be clear, should have read more before I started interviewing.

The test was not done at a testing facility. It was done in an assisted living place (were the job is) in an office and administered by a secretary who sat a desk, had me fill a background paper work sheet and sign on two spots on a form she then handed me a cup and told me to go in the bathroom pee in it and leave it on the back of the sink. Never labeled the sample in front of me. I peed left the cup in the bathroom and walked out. Let me add at least twice while I was trying to get some flow going, people came to use the bathroom.

My question is this, lets say by chance the test came back dirty for THC, could I challenge the veracity of it since I did not see the sample labeled? Chain of custody? I really want the job but my biggest concern is not so much the job, there are other ones but if the state were made aware of the failed test it could be problematic from a career standpoint.

So I had an interview and had to drop a urine on the spot which I was not prepared for. Have been clean approximately 25-30 days so there is a possibility it could come back dirty I guess. I just thought that after a couple weeks I would be clear, should have read more before I started interviewing.

The test was not done at a testing facility. It was done in an assisted living place (were the job is) in an office and administered by a secretary who sat a desk, had me fill a background paper work sheet and sign on two spots on a form she then handed me a cup and told me to go in the bathroom pee in it and leave it on the back of the sink. Never labeled the sample in front of me. I peed left the cup in the bathroom and walked out. Let me add at least twice while I was trying to get some flow going, people came to use the bathroom.

My question is this, lets say by chance the test came back dirty for THC, could I challenge the veracity of it since I did not see the sample labeled? Chain of custody? I really want the job but my biggest concern is not so much the job, there are other ones but if the state were made aware of the failed test it could be problematic from a career standpoint.

About 20 years ago or so I talked to my doctor and told him I just quit and needed to pass the DOT pee test.
Asked how long did I have to wait..and he said to be perfectly sure....30 days.
You should be good...Unless you lost a lot of weight in the last few days.

Oh and in 30 days I did pass the test.

You certainly can complain that the protocols were not followed and that there was a great possibility that the test and the area it was done was contaminated. The biggest flaw is that no one washed their hands before handling anything, thats a must do. But a business can hire and fire you for whatever reasons they want. But if you tell them it was cross contamination they might cut you some slack and retest. Be prepared to retest immediately or you could request to go to a regular lab and be tested and maybe even offer to pay for it. Just depends on how much you want the job. You might be able to pass with just dilution but I would recommend either synthetic urine or someone elses clean urine.

You certainly can complain that the protocols were not followed and that there was a great possibility that the test and the area it was done was contaminated. The biggest flaw is that no one washed their hands before handling anything, thats a must do. But a business can hire and fire you for whatever reasons they want. But if you tell them it was cross contamination they might cut you some slack and retest. Be prepared to retest immediately or you could request to go to a regular lab and be tested and maybe even offer to pay for it. Just depends on how much you want the job. You might be able to pass with just dilution but I would recommend either synthetic urine or someone elses clean urine.

Not so much worried about the job, I am in a field were I can get equivalent offers elsewhere. Just do not want a dirty test reported to state who controls licensing in my field. I would be happy if I pass but if not just do not want it dogging me from getting other opportunities that exist

The thought actually crossed my mind that the sample was not even being sent for testing lol and that the on spot urine test was a test in and of its self. Kinda like seeing if you make up an excuse to not do it etc. It just seemed bizarre, did not put anything in the toliet, the water facet was dripping away and the whole leave it on the sink thing was strange also. Not to mention the fact that the person collecting it was basically business secretary...weird.

If I did fail would not fight it to much so long as they have no intention of reporting it and causing issues for me, I will deny any knowledge of how it could have been dirty of course and point out the bizarre circumstances more so to ensure that it does not follow me than have a second chance at getting the job, I already have several interviews for next week and will be prepared for the on-the-spot testing in the future.

Well what about when you visited relatives in Colorado a few week(s) back, they were all smoking it, and you couldn't just leave, so you were
stuck breathing that crap in.

Just saying.

Oh and in 30 days I did pass the test.

Hopefully if they sent it I passed. I had been clean about a week, smoked a gram or two or schwag over two days and some resin, then had the 25-30 days or so of being completely clean. I am a bigger guy though and my metabolism is normal but not quick so it seems kinda 50-50. I do drink lots of water, coffee and walk at least a mile or two a day getting up a nice sweat so hopefully my odds are improved some in spite of my size. I also do not eat much fast food or fatty stuff either.

Took the test Tuesday have not heard from the lab yet either way which could be a decent sign I guess.

Not so much worried about the job, I am in a field were I can get equivalent offers elsewhere. Just do not want a dirty test reported to state who controls licensing in my field. I would be happy if I pass but if not just do not want it dogging me from getting other opportunities that exist

The thought actually crossed my mind that the sample was not even being sent for testing lol and that the on spot urine test was a test in and of its self. Kinda like seeing if you make up an excuse to not do it etc. It just seemed bizarre, did not put anything in the toliet, the water facet was dripping away and the whole leave it on the sink thing was strange also. Not to mention the fact that the person collecting it was basically business secretary...weird.

If I did fail would not fight it to much so long as they have no intention of reporting it and causing issues for me, I will deny any knowledge of how it could have been dirty of course and point out the bizarre circumstances more so to ensure that it does not follow me than have a second chance at getting the job, I already have several interviews for next week and will be prepared for the on-the-spot testing in the future.
If you fail I would go ahead and file a complaint against whoever was doing the test just to have it on paper. You could file it with your states Dept of Labor.
There is no reporting of positive drug tests unless you are under court supervision or if you want to list the company that you failed a drug test on a job application. And you weren't working there, just applying so no one else will ever know if you tested positive on a drug test. They don't even have a database for truck drivers that pop positive. The only record is kept at the company where you worked and popped positive.

Back
Top Bottom