Without a doubt, 1st time this problem has happened to anyone in the world, Help

HipSkip

Hey folks, with all due respect I'd like to weed out anyone inexperienced or "guessing" that might choose to reply to this thread. IMO, This is an expert only topic plz, although I'd never be rude to anyone that is kind enough to reply.

Let me begin by catching you up with some history of this grow. Strain is a custom bred Turbo Diesel, approx 8 wk photo period .... this is the 2nd grow..... 2 identical rooms w/switchbox on 12-12...

About 4 wks into the 12/12 a chemical spill almost killed the entire grow. Accidentally, some bleach was mixed with some Advanced Nutes PH-Down.......not a lot.... less than a few ounces of each, accidentally...but this caused a crazy reaction that caused a unavoidable evacuation of the rooms. It took 45 minutes to be able to ventilate the adjoining area enough to even get to the doorway to the first room and begin flushing (garden hose on full blast spraying the contamination area to dilute) the chemicals. Total time the plants were subjected to this reaction was between 2-3 hours. This killed all the fan leaves and bleached white most of the sugar leaves on the smaller plants, the larger plants were the least affected only losing a small portion on the lowest fan leaves. It seemed the plants more in the "airflow" zones (middle of room) were hit a bit harder while plants closer to the walls avoided a bit more of the chemicals. This chemical "burn" resembled a nutrient burn..best way i can describe it. I can post some pics upon request of the current state if it will help an experienced grower assess the damage.
So, I was left with a choice. Wipe out everything and start fresh(no clones ready) or wait to see what they would do. I decided it best to not waste all the nutes,time,$ spent already and let these go to see what survived. To my surprise only the 2 smallest plants did not recover. I did a few different things to the surviving plants to see what made them react the best...I removed burned leaves, I trimmed burned sugar leaves even....It seemed like the plants I did the most trimming on, recovered the fastest. Some have made a complete recovery, some have just puttered along. Some buds are huge, dense,,,,,some barely got any thicker than they were at the time of the chemical burn.
But, the time has come...8 weeks.....and what I see..and what I've seen them go through....I no longer can tell when to harvest. I used to go by a few things... I'd wait for the hairs to curl back into the buds, also look for around a 75%milky-25%amber trics....but this time shits all crazy!! The plants went into a shock stage, some longer than others.... this strain does not usually foxtail...but when some plants recovered from the shock they did foxtail...So....this is what I'm looking at as far as bud development.....The part of the buds that were already formed before the chem-spill have pistil browned and curled in & showing my preferred tric ratio....but right along side the curled in pistils are NEW white pistils...and then add in the new growth and the foxtails that are now showing largly milky trics and fresh white pistils..all in the same bud. And these are just the furthest along maturity buds....I have a complete rainbow spectrum from these types of buds...all the way down to the smaller plants that have only barely thickened (buds) but not shown any new growth since the spill.
A week asfter the spill, every pistil on every plant had curled in orange, giving the appearance of a very early finishing.....but I let them go hoping for recovery....which has happened in the larger picture....

What I am here asking for is help harvesting this grow. Opinions from anyone who feels they truly have enough experience to offer sound advice on this harvest. I'm going to post this topic without any pictures now so I can hopefully begin getting the attention of the experienced growers. I will go take some pictures of these plants and return to share them so you can see all the things I have been describing, and the multiple stages these plants are at @ the 8wk mark (standard harvest time). Anyone surfing and seeing this thread that is interested in working with me please follow me, I'll be back with current pics of everything soon, not more than a couple hours.

Thank you for your help. I told you this has to be the first time in the history of growing this has happened, and trust me, it's my luck it would happen to me....I'm hoping the similarities of this chemical burn to a nutrient burn will make it easier for those trying to offer their experiences and advice and hopefully easier for me to get through this harvest in the best possible way.

Manual edit to include signature:
I am in Colorado, and everything I say is complete fantasy. This is only for entertainment purposes because I am very bored and like to role play fictional growing just like everyone else here. Any pictures I share were downloaded from the internet and used as total fantasy. Due to my prescribed medications, it's highly likely I won't even remember what I wrote or that I am a member of this forum.

If anyone can tell me how to activate my signature it would be appreciated( I have this saved as my siggy, but it's not yet attaching to my post, might be because I am new and need approval? too long? any advice is welcome)

Hi HipSkip.

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here. :welcome:

Really sorry to here of the incident but happy to have you join us. I don't believe I've got the experience to offer any suggestions, but I'd like to follow along as others add there thoughts. I've got a couple plants foxtailing again (their clones of the last ones to do this) and I understand your dilemma. I believe I harvested my too early last time and want other's thoughts on how to be comfortable in judging the upcoming one.

Pictures will definitely help (especially any close-ups or trichome pics) so I'll check back in a bit.

Be well, happy growing and again - welcome to 420 Magazine.

Ps. To edit your signature and add the fine print, hove on User CP in the upper left and select "settings" from the drop down. Once that opens look on the left side of screen for My Settings and select "edit signature". You can then past the text (or insert pictures) into the box that opens and it will automatically add it to every post.

I am no expert but find this interesting, So, I read the whole thing....including the sig.

My question....is this a real senario or one that morfed up from to much bongwater and hash?

If it's real...the plant basically went into dead mode/protection mode and began trying to flower/finish as mother nature intended....

But, you saved them and they rewarded you with NEW growth and now you have what you have.

This toxicity they received was it air distributed or you actually gave it to them as food?

This toxicity they received was it air distributed or you actually gave it to them as food?
This concerns me too when I read the problem. Cannabis plants can be used to clean up toxic waste sites as they absorb toxins from the soil etc.
I think I'd be a little worried about smoking them- period.

Cleaning up toxic waste sites... wow... first time i heard that. Well, I'm sure that the combination of the ph-down and bleach is NOT good... but do remember this,,,,these chemicals never physically came in contact with the plant in any form other than the smell in the air... and it was obvious where it hit the plants. The bleach/PH reaction was not even in the same room as the plants, ...but in the room next to it... In my ipinion, I would not bother to save any of the leaves that showed any damage like some sugar leaves that showed signs of burning, but the dense buds also naturally restrict airflow minimizing any contact with contaminated air. Also, this was a month ago minimum.. maybe even closer to bwtween 5-6 weeks.... And I did several washes immediately following the accident ( to make sure i minimized any damage and stopped any frther damage. I washed 3 times.... then sprayed with vitamins several more times., and at this stage in plant growth there wasnt much budding yet. Without harvesting, and preforming tests on cured finished product, it's imposible to say any residules from the spill are still present, or gone... Fortunately, I do believe I have access to the facilities to preform such tests. I have a good friend thats a chemist, with access to a half million dollar lab. And, considering most of the growth has happened after this contamination....I doubt that the final product has been afected more than using tap water to grow with (bleach is in there to, among other things) I use RO water at all other times....so i'm thinking if anything is left behind, its less than someone using tap water,

So... here you can see some of the white burn and dead leaves ( under 1000w HPS now, so yellow pics) also, notice that on most of the plants i believe are the closest to maturity have already began to let the fan leave turn yellow which has only happened the last week, another signalling that they are ready to harvest. Only posting 9 per reply...total of 35 pics...

also shown are the stunted plants that did not "grow" much after the incident, but the buds did fill in a bit, got thicker...

IMG_20140218_124037_869.jpg
IMG_20140218_124027_404.jpg
IMG_20140218_124016_059.jpg
IMG_20140218_124013_975.jpg
IMG_20140218_124004_183.jpg
IMG_20140218_123959_739.jpg
IMG_20140218_123953_974.jpg
IMG_20140218_123938_151.jpg
IMG_20140218_123936_265.jpg

Next 9 pics
IMG_20140218_123929_742.jpg
IMG_20140218_123913_544.jpg
IMG_20140218_123132_493.jpg
IMG_20140218_123113_944.jpg
IMG_20140218_123106_548.jpg
IMG_20140218_123059_539.jpg
IMG_20140218_123029_392.jpg
IMG_20140218_123013_272.jpg
IMG_20140218_123005_912.jpg

Next 9 pics
IMG_20140218_122950_178.jpg
IMG_20140218_122944_512.jpg
IMG_20140218_122938_930.jpg
IMG_20140218_122928_594.jpg
IMG_20140218_122917_891.jpg
IMG_20140218_122910_717.jpg
IMG_20140218_122904_510.jpg
IMG_20140218_122848_010.jpg
IMG_20140218_122839_057.jpg

Final page of pics, please MODs. if i am breaking any double posting rules, please forgive me... I'm just not sure how many full sized pics I can post, and just learned how to upload pics, and all this stuff... Thank you.

IMG_20140218_122835_967.jpg
IMG_20140218_122822_889.jpg
IMG_20140218_122806_843.jpg
IMG_20140218_122803_303.jpg
IMG_20140218_122751_535.jpg
IMG_20140218_122745_293.jpg
IMG_20140218_122732_894.jpg
IMG_20140218_122726_560.jpg

So, after examining these pics, can any experienced grower on here give me a guidline on exactly how to jusdge which ones I should begin to harvest now, or rather.....If you were in my shoes...LMAO.... how would you go about deciding when to harvest considering the shock, new growth, ect... That info would be priceless to me.

As of now, I plan to just use all the different signs together.

First I plan to look to the plants that have already began letting the fan leaves yellow...

2nd, I will look at the individual buds on that plant for the ratio of pistils that have curled back in and browned as a signal

3rd I will look for my favorite 75% milky - 25% amber....

But heres the pisser... I'm sure I will find many mixed signals,

I will find some white new pistils.. I will find Maybe the majority milky, but also some clear and amber
This is what I'm asking other experienced growers opinions on....How they would personally attack this harvest...what they would look for....and which conbinations would they consider it time to chop? HA!~... This also could be simplified to "How to harvest a crop that has undergone a major stress"...it seems simalar to a stress as simple as leaving the lights on 24/hrs on accident for a couple days, then trying to recover.

Thank you everyone who offers help.

Wow HipSkip, Based on your description of the plants I'm surprised to see them looking as good as they do. Congrats to you on nursing them back to a somewhat healthy state.

I think your pretty comfortable that the buds shouldn't have any serious resi dual on them from the exposure, but if you have doubts you could always wash them before drying and curing. Here is a thread on it if your interested - Bud Washing

I am no expert but find this interesting, So, I read the whole thing....including the sig.

My question....is this a real senario or one that morfed up from to much bongwater and hash?

If it's real...the plant basically went into dead mode/protection mode and began trying to flower/finish as mother nature intended....

But, you saved them and they rewarded you with NEW growth and now you have what you have.

I answered most of those quaestions in a reply before the pics... Do you have any further questions I can answer? this statement is where I am " saved them and they rewarded you with NEW growth and now you have what you have." Yes... and your assessment is exactly correct.

Wow HipSkip, Based on your description of the plants I'm surprised to see them looking as good as they do. Congrats to you on nursing them back to a somewhat healthy state.

I think your pretty comfortable that the buds shouldn't have any serious resi dual on them from the exposure, but if you have doubts you could always wash them before drying and curing. Here is a thread on it if your interested - Bud Washing

Thank you Tan, I did do 3 intense washings immediately upon being able to enter the rooms... garden hose style... I can flood the floor, theres a drain... so, these babies got WWAASSHHEEDD... and fast... I just could not stop what already happened... Also,,, I believe had I flipped my HID circuit breakers and shut off the lights, I would have seen less than 10% of the damage.... bt my inexperience left the lights on, I just pulled way back on the nutes and slowlwy came back to full strenfght..

Heady... you still with me here? I'm with you... They went into HOLY EF ME MODE.... shut down... trying to figure uot what happened..and thought, "Woah, I had better finish quick".... then they realized... Im survivng that shit!!! yay!! lets get back to growing!!"

I can't PM you Heady.... noob status... Check reply #5 for the details you have asked about. And thaaaaaank you bruddah,
Here's another one for you... I stated this is crop #2 of this strain so I have some exp with it... the first crop came out a super-creeper.. I mean it took 30 minutes for the full effects.... this was not popular with my patients.... can you offer any advice on harvesting to minimize the creeper effect? in mmy special circomstances? MUah hahahah....? I realize quantum physics could barely descipher the best time to chop im my current state, but, thats why I'm asking "what would you do in my shoes to get the best finished product?"

Acid + bleach = chlorine gas ......

Here is a link From the University Of Georgia Forestry Dept. It is on Chlorine gas and trees. Best i could do, nothing out there on chlorine gas and cannabis.

Kinda late for you but it says that darkness for a few days would have minimized the damage. All the dead parts of the plant was the pant trying to get rid of the chlorine. Reason the leaves die is because the chlorinegas mixes with the water in the leaves and lowers the PH to 1.8 , basicly the PH of battery acid. Now if it was me i would cut all the dead off and smoke that shit. But I am pretty damn old So if my lungs started bleeding and i died , it really doesnt matter since my bucket list is done. Well except for the foursome with the big busted triplets that live down the road. If the weed doesnt kill me that damn sure would.

But on the more serious side this PDF tells me that the parts of the plant still living do not have toxic levels of chlorine. It also states that chlorine is naturally found in the earths soil and is required by trees. Also states that trees can get chlorine deficiency. Not sure how this crosses over into the plant world but i would guess plants need chlorine to some degree also.

Acid + bleach = chlorine gas ......

Here is a link From the University Of Georgia Forestry Dept. It is on Chlorine gas and trees. Best i could do, nothing out there on chlorine gas and cannabis.

Kinda late for you but it says that darkness for a few days would have minimized the damage. All the dead parts of the plant was the pant trying to get rid of the chlorine. Reason the leaves die is because the chlorinegas mixes with the water in the leaves and lowers the PH to 1.8 , basicly the PH of battery acid. Now if it was me i would cut all the dead off and smoke that shit. But I am pretty damn old So if my lungs started bleeding and i died , it really doesnt matter since my bucket list is done. Well except for the foursome with the big busted triplets that live down the road. If the weed doesnt kill me that damn sure would.

But on the more serious side this PDF tells me that the parts of the plant still living do not have toxic levels of chlorine. It also states that chlorine is naturally found in the earths soil and is required by trees. Also states that trees can get chlorine deficiency. Not sure how this crosses over into the plant world but i would guess plants need chlorine to some degree also.

Awesome Java, thank you, very insightful advice to check into that. And of course I will. This harvest will happen one way or another. It's got to come down. It might go in the trash, or maybe not, but pretending its not... or saying that i'm stuck with this harvest till the bitter/sweet end and either way i have to try my very best to save it until the fat lady sings....

HAHA, i'm with you man... I know chlorine is found and even added to water or whatever...it's not that bad for plants at normal levels, this just got out of hand, and it was just air... not applied to the plants in liquid form... What you posted seems like exactly what has happened.... and yes,,,, I am SURE that me leaving the lights on made it waaaay worse... live-learn..... Thank you for you investigation mate... reinforcing my eye-whittness observations to be more>less true... It's not ruined as far as being contaminated now,,, it just took some heavy damage...

I have taken some tric pics of tiny clippings from various flowers on the same plant, and from diferent locations on same flower.... Posting soon as i can upload.

Here is pics of the trics on the same plant.... This plant is 9 weeks in a on a standard 8wk photoperiod, yes, a week over-done. All the fan leaves are light yellow now, they have been yellow for over a week and kept getting lighter as time passed. I only started flushing nutes today, so until now its been between 1000-1400 PPMs nutes... not lacking at all... its dying because it's finished it's life cycle...IMO

bellow the pics are grouped together and will say where from on plant

These are from deep in the top bud...

2top_old_deep_in_growth.jpg
1top_old_deep_in_growth.jpg

What a story, sorry to hear the bad news. I'm glad no one got dead. I would just let them finish as normal and toss the worst of the damage. I hate bleach for so many reasons. The only thing I say about the creeper is a longer cure may be needed.

These are from lower but outer parts of the flower

5oldgrowth.jpg
4oldgrowth.jpg
3oldgrowth.jpg
2oldgrowth.jpg
1oldgrowth.jpg

And these are from the tops of the buds, the new growth-foxtails to be exact

1newgrowth1.jpg
2newgrowth.jpg

Back
Top Bottom