LED set-up that equals HID?

Gushers

Hey guys i have a quick question. I'm trying to light a 10x20x14 room and im stilling deciding between HIDS or LEDS. The room is adjustable, +-1 or 2 feet ill be building it anyways. If I went HID I would probably get 10 1000 watt hids. thats a big electricty bill tho so i would rather go LED. I have no clue where to begin to get the same output as 10,000 watt of hid for LED. Any help is much appreciated.

From what I've heard try to think of it per Sq. Ft. and the general rule of thumb seems to lie someplace between 30 to 50 W per SQ FT. The other thing I've been reading is kind of a 2/3 type of figuring so you would need about 6,600 true at the output watts. Those are the 2 strings of thought I have read about. My thoughts on this is more simple, wall to wall for LED's. They are pretty much a straight down light, not much good on the sides. I have looked at the PlatinumLED's but only pictures, and I'm not endorcing anything anybody, but I do like the lenses on the LED's. I do believe in lenses very much.

From what I've heard try to think of it per Sq. Ft. and the general rule of thumb seems to lie someplace between 30 to 50 W per SQ FT. The other thing I've been reading is kind of a 2/3 type of figuring so you would need about 6,600 true at the output watts. Those are the 2 strings of thought I have read about. My thoughts on this is more simple, wall to wall for LED's. They are pretty much a straight down light, not much good on the sides. I have looked at the PlatinumLED's but only pictures, and I'm not endorcing anything anybody, but I do like the lenses on the LED's. I do believe in lenses very much.

Can anyone substantiate the argument that LED's lack in "side" coverage? I think this is a misconception caused by the shape of the lights, but cannot find anything, in either direction, supporting or disclaiming the argument. Any thoughts?

You don't have to look far to see what I mean by wall to wall LED's. Just look up some of there web sights, and look at the footprint of coverage, and remember they will make it a little wider than most people find really does work, but then when side by side there will be some crossover. If they have secondary optics they get really narrow, but I would not buy a light without secondary lenses. I don't really have a favorite, but I do like what I've seen from Platnum.

The narrower the angle the less the coverage, but the deeper the penetration.
I think the 90/60 mix by pled works pretty well.

You don't have to look far to see what I mean by wall to wall LED's. Just look up some of there web sights, and look at the footprint of coverage, and remember they will make it a little wider than most people find really does work, but then when side by side there will be some crossover. If they have secondary optics they get really narrow, but I would not buy a light without secondary lenses. I don't really have a favorite, but I do like what I've seen from Platnum.

Thanks for the follow up. I need to research those lenses and how they distribute light. I'm running 5 plants on two P300's in a 4x4 tent. Have a P600 on the way. Will run all three until I buy a smaller 2x4 flower tent and another P600. I will then run both P600's in the veg/auto tent on a 18/6 and run both P300's in the flower tent. Trying to establish some kind of perpetual grow.

Back
Top Bottom