HID lamps vs LED

LED merchants and their fan boys***

And fan girls too- let’s be fair now...

The LED lighting industry has always been
hyper-competitive and that attitude seems to have trickled down to some of its consumers. In reality there aren’t nearly the huge differences in efficiency or quality between the lighting types as some like to proclaim.

The louder the proclamation- the larger the exaggeration involved. Plenty of new growers have been suckered with such proclamations, and ‘2000 watt’ LEDs...:(

From CFLs to QBs they all grow dope. They are all tools for the grower. Use the tool that fits best at the time

People like to talk like HID is obsolete. They’ve actually been talking that way since the first super expensive blurples came out and were clearly growing third rate bud. Someday it will be true, but it is definitely not now. HID continues to grow top notch bud for a low price and should be an easy choice for anyone starting out on a budget. Not so good if you live somewhere hot, but last I checked there’s nobody like that around where I live.

Not saying HID is obsolete or that it does not grow top notch bud, but check youtube for Remo who grows with LED's. His harvests are huge and frosty. And he is a commercial grower best I can figure. Someday is today Weaselcracker, at least imho.

Sorry, did you not read your post when you made it? Or read my quote of your post?

Meaning you said "Someday it will be true, but it is definitely not now."

I am replying that yes today they are better then HID, not that HID doesn't have their place in the industry.

People like to talk like HID is obsolete.... Someday it will be true, but it is definitely not now

Not saying HID is obsolete

Someday is today
Yeah I read your post. It says two opposing things so that’s why I asked what you meant. But whatever....

The QBs I have in my grow room are a couple months old and use the latest top of the line diodes. They are not obsolete- they’re the pinnacle of LED wondefulness.

The HPS bulbs in my grow room continue to grow amazing bud and are not one bit obsolete either. They fit my grow far better as they keep it warm as well as growing great bud. They’re also far cheaper. Honestly I’m not seeing that the bud is ‘better’ under the LEDs. The LEDs use a little less wattage to achieve the same thing. A little denser, less stretch, a little smaller.

I would absolutely ditch the QBs first given a choice between the two. Not even a real choice as LEDs alone wouldn’t be possible for me. That’s just my situation.

That whole ignorant ‘LED is best/HID is best’ argument is what is obsolete IMO. I thought it was anyway.... most certainly should be.

You only need to read my posts to see that I’m not making an argument for one or the other. No point working to create one where it doesn’t exist hey....

How hot does the hood get and what is optimised height in flower
Usually without the air flow system, the whole room can get around 5 C degrees, with the air flow system, temperature will be only a little over than the normal temperature. :yummy: And the suggested hanging height for flowering is around 12~16inches above canopy. :D

Led vs hid def is dependent on what your requirements are. I would say hid does benefit with some led strip supplementation.
To customize it like qbs.
I like my QB for less heat, no IR so the the less hot room is even cooler to the plant. With hid the 78 degree room is 82-84 leaf temp due to IR. I like not having it. Just my preference. No uv either unless I add it. Grows very hard nugs is my favorite part. Also I scrog and I like how even the light is.
All that being said it really a preference thing. Apples and oranges.
It’s a different grow room and technique for each. Ie balancing vpd with ac heater etc is different. With 8ft ceilings and like to veg for 8-10weeks. I can’t utilize a 1000watt hps as well as QBs .

LED is better in every metric but initial cost.
Hell even my new LEDs beat the crap out of my 4 year old LEDs and my old LEDs were a little better watt for watt than an HPS.

5 years ago a case could barely be made that HPS was as good as LED but today not even close.

This test was done 4+ years ago, today the LED would beat the HPS soundly watt for watt.
I think the watts on that old Spydr 1200 was 650w vs the 1000w DE HPS

hello, i was wondering, which lights are better for growing, especally for flowring. HID or standard house LEDS (in my case best i could get is 20w=150w)

what are the pros and cons?

i saw that the HID are super cheap compared to professional growing leds, and even cheap compared to normal household leds.

what would yield me more, i currently have 8 20w=150w leds. would buying a hid lamp be better? if so, what specs should i get.

no one ever recommands them as far as i saw on the forum. but from what i've read they seem way better than clf/led (i'm talking about normal leds not growing ones)

also which hid is best for growing? i know there is 3 types
Man ALOT to consider heat,cost bulb replacement size of area. Research my friend alot of good pod casts on YouTube about that that is what I say myself I use a led Veg 8 With gavita uv strips for clone veg and hid and LEC on a mover for veg transition to flower

IMG_20230210_080203.jpg

IMG_20230210_080212.jpg

IMG_20230210_075343.jpg

Interesting to read this thread, in the 3+ years since this thread originated, a lot has changed. Most growers are using LED’s now, as they’ve come a long way in the past few years. Wattage is up, there are much better spectrums for both vegging and flowering, longevity is up, prices are down. Not that there’s anything wrong with HID’s, in certain applications they are great, but it seems they’re being replaced by LED’s.

With the price of power these days its a question that has one answer.
Gram Per watt LED what you gain in weight (maybe) your defo lose now in power.
Unless you stealing your power i guess.

Back
Top Bottom