LED grams per watt

uk grower1

Hi all!

I'm interested in LED lights and have a few questions before I buy. I'v been a grower now for nearly 10 years and have always used MH/HPS. I'm now thinking about changing over to LED because I'm sick of having my pants pulled down and arse smacked by the electric company's in the uk!

I use 3 600w hps lights and I get around 1g per watt of light. Iv been reading a lot on the Internet and a lot of people that use LED lights get about the same, 1g per watt of light.

I'v been looking at the lush dominator 2x 425w LED lights but I'm just a little confused because the 435w led light says it will out perform a 1000w hps, but if I was to use 1 600w hps i'd get round about 600g from 4 plants and 1 of the 435w would do roughly 435g (1g per watt). So how can a 435w LED compare to a 1000w hps apart from less electricity?

I know that 435w LED will use less electricity than a 600w hps but if I wanted to get the same results as a hps I would need the same amounts of watt's from a LED so I'd still be using the same amount of electricity, is this correct?

It is hard to say if the results will be the same. You can get some information from the supplier, but if you really want the actual scoop on a product you have to go to people who are using the product. Go on youtube and see what they are saying about the light or read some of the grow journals here from people who are using the same light. As far as performance goes you have to verify what the supplier is claiming. You cant take their word alone.
They look like very high quality lights, but since I have never used one I really don’t have a opinion. Other than to say I don’t think their are very many LED lights that pull 450 watts that will compare with a 1000 watt HPS in every way.

Thanks for the reply! I was going to go for the spectrum king led series 400 with the 90 degree angle... but went to my local grow shop today and spoke with the guy in there, this guy knows his stuff! Asked him if he's heard about the spectrum king led? He told me not to waste my time and money!

This guy goes to a lot of cannabis shows, he's off to Spannabis in the next few days. He told me the last show he went to he was on a stand with Philips and asked them about LED's, they turn round to him and said they are not interested in LED's and there will never be the right science behind (or something along them lines) LED's for them to ever be any good, or as good as what we use now (a lot more was said as well but i cant remember what was said now)

So basically i said the reason i was looking at LED's was to bring my electric bill down. He then showed me the Philips D-Papillon 315w and 630w the 630w will perform as well as about 800 of hps (think that's what he said) and the 315w is not far off as good as a 600 hps! They do look very good lights, and run very cool. bulbs last up to 2 years, and the lights have a 3 year warranty. Overall I'm very impressed with them!

I'm now thinking about replacing my 3 600hps with 4 of the 315w, he told me to run the 2 different bulbs that you get for these lights at the same time. So if i replaced my 3 lights with 4 of the d-papillon i will be saving about 600w of electric, getting a lot more light on my plants and having a cooler room, happy days! But it will cost about £1800 for the 4 so might have to buy 2 and 2 a few months later :(

Before leds I did a HPS 600 grow, now I have 600 of leds and I can't get close to what the HPS did... I will go back k to HPS in winter and use leds in hot days.

Most people find that after they get past the learning curve with LEDs (how far to have them from plants, added cal/mag etc) they get similar results with less wattage. The quality of the buds tends to be harder and denser so as was said earlier, quality over quantity.

Feel free to look over some of my grows. I am getting between 3-4 oz per plant average with my Mars 900. :peace:

I running Platinum P 300's and get denser more resinous buds with less watts and heat. I am using one light per plant, so I am striving for quality over quantity since I am simply growing personal smoke.

Back
Top Bottom