Old Style Mars Hydro 600 watt LED with 3 watt Chips

aphrodisia

Hi all. I have been scouring the internet for any and all grows featuring the old style Mars Hydro 600 watt Leds using the 3 watt chips and have come up with a big fat zero.
Does anybody know of any grows on this forum using this particular Led ? They are now discontinued by Mars Hydro as they have all been replaced by Leds using 5 watt chips and I know the new style old Mars 600w are getting good reviews but I would still like to see an actual example of a grow using the original 600w with the 3 watt chips.

And while still on the subject of lighting I would like to ask the many experienced growers on here which lighting or combination of lighting works best for them. For example I personally like to grow with a mix of Leds and Hps lighting as I find this gives me the best results and I normally run a Vipar V300 Led alongside a 400w Hps but lately I have been thinking of experimenting a bit and seeing if I couldn't improve on the results. For instance how would running a MH alongside an Led work out ?
What gives you guys the most yield ? Hps ? MH ? Leds ? or any combination of those mentioned ?

Navigate to the Completed Journals section, click on the search button (I think it's supposed to look like a magnifying glass, if that helps), type Mars 600 into the box that appears, select "This forum" instead of "Everywhere," and hit the button to initiate the search. I suppose you can increase your chances by concentrating on the search results that have the oldest dates. The very first result I saw was this one:
600 Watt Old Model Mars Hydro - Autoflower - Grow

I'm not sure if that is the specific light you are asking about, though.

The 3w chip blurples generally have poor penetration, but works all right for trained plants and SoG, and of course vegging.

Whenever you add more light (up to a certain point), whatever the source, you get better growth and bigger/better flowers.

If yield is your primary objective you have to grow SoG, and then pick lights that are good for that method; high end Middle Power Diode LEDs or fluorescent tubes, and then it's a choice between upfront cost and long term cost :)
This way you can have a multi layered grow space and optimize your surface area, can't be done properly with HID.

But personally I would always go with Middle Power Diodes whatever the grow style, because it's the best and most worthwhile way of having a lot of light in a small space and the best and easiest in practical operation.

540w Middle Power Diodes gave me ~50% increased yield over 614w blurple (5w chips) in the same.

Hey TorturedSoul many thanks ! I have been looking everywhere for these, will do that now :)

The 3w chip blurples generally have poor penetration, but works all right for trained plants and SoG, and of course vegging.

Whenever you add more light (up to a certain point), whatever the source, you get better growth and bigger/better flowers.

If yield is your primary objective you have to grow SoG, and then pick lights that are good for that method; high end Middle Power Diode LEDs or fluorescent tubes, and then it's a choice between upfront cost and long term cost :)
This way you can have a multi layered grow space and optimize your surface area, can't be done properly with HID.

But personally I would always go with Middle Power Diodes whatever the grow style, because it's the best and most worthwhile way of having a lot of light in a small space and the best and easiest in practical operation.

540w Middle Power Diodes gave me ~50% increased yield over 614w blurple (5w chips) in the same.

Hi PurpleGunRack thanks for the reply. When you say middle power diodes what exactly do you mean ? Do you mean for example picking 3w chips over 5w chips or something else ? I know quite a few people say using Leds with 3w chips is better than Leds with 5w chips as you still get 5 feet of penetration below the canopy with 3w chips anyway and most growers usually don't need more than that.

you still get 5 feet of penetration below the canopy

Must be a thin canopy, lol. A good SCROG or SOG grow will leave you without enough light underneath to read the newspaper. Or at least that's the goal.

Hi PurpleGunRack thanks for the reply. When you say middle power diodes what exactly do you mean ? Do you mean for example picking 3w chips over 5w chips or something else ? I know quite a few people say using Leds with 3w chips is better than Leds with 5w chips as you still get 5 feet of penetration below the canopy with 3w chips anyway and most growers usually don't need more than that.

Middle Power Diodes is another type of LED where a high efficiency blue diode is coated with phosphor to achieve the desired color temperature, same technology as with most COBs.
The most common Middle Power Diodes used in growlights are Samsung's LM561c and LM301b.

The 1w, 3w, 5w etc. diodes you know from blurples are called mono diodes, it's the gap in the semiconductor that decides the color of the light.
It is old and inefficient technology, and you end up with the same light to heat ratio as HID (35% light / 65% heat)

5 feet away from a light with 5w diodes there will barely be enough light to grow cabbage, and the 3w chips 5 feet away is just pointless :)
I think these people you've seen talk about this, have very little understanding of light and how much output you lose whenever you move the source an inch away from the canopy.
Penetration is not something we can judge by the naked eye or by the flowers we see, it can only be measured with a quantum sensor so we can see the PPFD from different heights.

A light that give +1000 micromoles 5 feet away from the source will probably be too bright/hot for the tops if the plants are more than 3 feet tall, and it would be insanely cost inefficient.
No blurple light is powerful enough to do this, only HID, plasma and huge COBs have this kind of penetration.

Both 3w and 5w chips are crappy and I would advice against investing in lights using those, and either go with high efficiency COBs or Middle Power Diodes or go with HID if on a budget :)

Semi-random (and off-topic ;) ) comment: I wish sulfur plasma grow lamp technology had taken off. I thought it would be cool to have a grow light that was powered by a magnetron (yes, like a microwave oven, lol). Plus... tiny little "bulb" producing a great deal of light, with apparently pretty significant penetrative ability and adjustable power output.

Old led tech are less wattage and less efficient, then ppl are tending to like the higher wattage ones, so that so called 5w, 10w even 20w chips are now favored by many new growers on ebay and amazon;
But efficiency is the way to go, so actually the LED tech future is tent to less wattage but higher output.
Now our SP series is kind this one, we have hundreds led chips on the light, each of them is only 0.3~0.5w. But together, they are putting more lights out, and give more efficient lights with less wattage lost. :Namaste:

Middle Power Diodes is another type of LED where a high efficiency blue diode is coated with phosphor to achieve the desired color temperature, same technology as with most COBs.
The most common Middle Power Diodes used in growlights are Samsung's LM561c and LM301b.

The 1w, 3w, 5w etc. diodes you know from blurples are called mono diodes, it's the gap in the semiconductor that decides the color of the light.
It is old and inefficient technology, and you end up with the same light to heat ratio as HID (35% light / 65% heat)

5 feet away from a light with 5w diodes there will barely be enough light to grow cabbage, and the 3w chips 5 feet away is just pointless :)
I think these people you've seen talk about this, have very little understanding of light and how much output you lose whenever you move the source an inch away from the canopy.
Penetration is not something we can judge by the naked eye or by the flowers we see, it can only be measured with a quantum sensor so we can see the PPFD from different heights.

A light that give +1000 micromoles 5 feet away from the source will probably be too bright/hot for the tops if the plants are more than 3 feet tall, and it would be insanely cost inefficient.
No blurple light is powerful enough to do this, only HID, plasma and huge COBs have this kind of penetration.

Both 3w and 5w chips are crappy and I would advice against investing in lights using those, and either go with high efficiency COBs or Middle Power Diodes or go with HID if on a budget :)

Do you mean something like this perhaps?:

Roleadro LED Grow Light, 600W

These chips are also phosphor coated to produce a near daylight light.

Not sure if you were asking for grows using a mars 600 cause you want to buy one or happen to own one but this was I think my first grow some time ago.... in Mexico... or somewhere I don't know.
I was using 2 mars 600s (280w draw? each)the old white case purple light ones in a mars not quite 4x4 tent. I got 1/2 lbs dry of popcorn nug and a few colas. I had no clue what I was doing. Half the time I was either burning my plants or starving them of nutes! That bag lasted forever.......... lol

Also grew some autos. And starved or burnt those as well. Still managed to get a few nugs.

Hope this helps? Either way its 230am and can't sleep as usual and this killed 15 mins and kept me no so bored!
:nomo:

EDIT: I still use one of those mars 600's for starting my seedlings and clones. I find the younger plants thrive under purple maybe just me or the strains I use who knows! -cheers

Not sure if you were asking for grows using a mars 600 cause you want to buy one or happen to own one but this was I think my first grow some time ago.... in Mexico... or somewhere I don't know.
I was using 2 mars 600s (280w draw? each)the old white case purple light ones in a mars not quite 4x4 tent. I got 1/2 lbs dry of popcorn nug and a few colas. I had no clue what I was doing. Half the time I was either burning my plants or starving them of nutes! That bag lasted forever.......... lol

Also grew some autos. And starved or burnt those as well. Still managed to get a few nugs.

Hope this helps? Either way its 230am and can't sleep as usual and this killed 15 mins and kept me no so bored!
:nomo:

EDIT: I still use one of those mars 600's for starting my seedlings and clones. I find the younger plants thrive under purple maybe just me or the strains I use who knows! -cheers

Nice bag that, and nice pics too :thumb:. I was just curious about the 600 watt old models with the 3w diodes because I own one but I have never used it for a full grow yet and was just wondering how good they are that's all. You said you got a half pound of nugs plus some colas, from how many plants did you have under those lights ?

Uhm the bag came from 4 photo period plants of unknown origin (bag seed from a friend that sat in a cupboard for years). I Vegged under one light thinking oh man 600w.... then found out actually 280. So ordered a 2nd one for flower time.

Honestly, if your going to just use one of those lights I would do 1 or 2 small plants and use a scrog net and in a small tent or a highly reflective area. Spread it or them out. The penetration of the light isn't good. Its old tech. But you do you!
Also careful of the height cause up close will actually bleach a plant. And too far away just doesn't have the horsepower to do much. Again, old tech. Would also make a good supplemental light between two others to fill a light gap or change the overall spectrum a bit or as I do for seedlings. Still worth keeping for various uses.

Uhm the bag came from 4 photo period plants of unknown origin (bag seed from a friend that sat in a cupboard for years). I Vegged under one light thinking oh man 600w.... then found out actually 280. So ordered a 2nd one for flower time.

Honestly, if your going to just use one of those lights I would do 1 or 2 small plants and use a scrog net and in a small tent or a highly reflective area. Spread it or them out. The penetration of the light isn't good. Its old tech. But you do you!
Also careful of the height cause up close will actually bleach a plant. And too far away just doesn't have the horsepower to do much. Again, old tech. Would also make a good supplemental light between two others to fill a light gap or change the overall spectrum a bit or as I do for seedlings. Still worth keeping for various uses.

Thats what I thought. I normally mix Hps with Leds for my grows and was just wondering if it was worth using the 600 alongside my Hps. Think I will stick to the mars II 700.

Hi all. I have been scouring the internet for any and all grows featuring the old style Mars Hydro 600 watt Leds using the 3 watt chips and have come up with a big fat zero.
Does anybody know of any grows on this forum using this particular Led ? They are now discontinued by Mars Hydro as they have all been replaced by Leds using 5 watt chips and I know the new style old Mars 600w are getting good reviews but I would still like to see an actual example of a grow using the original 600w with the 3 watt chips.

And while still on the subject of lighting I would like to ask the many experienced growers on here which lighting or combination of lighting works best for them. For example I personally like to grow with a mix of Leds and Hps lighting as I find this gives me the best results and I normally run a Vipar V300 Led alongside a 400w Hps but lately I have been thinking of experimenting a bit and seeing if I couldn't improve on the results. For instance how would running a MH alongside an Led work out ?
What gives you guys the most yield ? Hps ? MH ? Leds ? or any combination of those mentioned ?
at 6 weeks in bloom cali dream PURE WATER NOTHING ELSE , LIGHT WATER AIR ALL YOU NEED AND you will taste the pure weed taste

here you are they work well but you should add more red during bloom, but what you see is just mars hydro old style , this time I am adding a 100 watt cfl at bloom 3700

Attachments

• 20190124_151808.jpg
    20190124_151808.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 154
here you are they work well but you should add more red during bloom, but what you see is just mars hydro old style , this time I am adding a 100 watt cfl at bloom 3700

Very nice. How many plants have you got under it ?, and is it just the one 600 watt old style mars you are using ?

i only grow 2 plants with 600 if you try to grow anymore you will lose yield, during bloom i put the light 16 in from top, and when you get to bloom you need just to slow down because all your hard work could be lost if you try to hurry, and i do not use any fox farm, bat shit monkey piss i only use water the same way it grows out wild, only give it food if it needs it just like you your not sick you take nothing right, watch the farmers who grow corn it grows the same way just be patient and you will do great its easy

Attachments

• 20190124_151808.jpg
    20190124_151808.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 32207512_1429183090560348_7770371994888962048_n.jpg
    32207512_1429183090560348_7770371994888962048_n.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom