Did you buy real 1000W LED grow lights?

Mars Hydro

420 Sponsor
Many suppliers sell 1000w led grow lights recently. It shows many growers are asking for 1000W led. But when you buy 1000W led, did you consider if your plants really need the leds with that high power? Is it real 1000w LED from the wall? If not, how can we judge how many watt lights is suitable for your plants and how to judge the truth of so called 1000W led on Ebay, Amazon...?

Firstly, let’ talk why many growers look for 1000W led?
Growers tended to buy 600W, 1000W HPS when HPS was dominant in the market. As leds becomes more and more popular, these HPS growers changed their lights to leds. They thought 1000W leds can replace 1000W HPS, that’ the main reason why they are looking for 1000W leds.
Many suppliers want to attract customers and sell mores lights, so they name their leds “1000W’’ led and told their customers they used 10W chips. In fact, the draw power of these lights is very low, 10W chips is not true. Usually when we change to LED, we need watt for watt replacement. That means we need 1000w LED (real power) to replace 1000w HPS in order to get the same yield. So it is not possible to let a 150W draw power led to replace 1000w HPS. The so called saving energy (around saving 75% energy) is not true, led tech hasn't been that advanced yet.

For example:
Some growers complained the low efficiency and bad quality of leds of growing result, they said they bought 1000W BXXXVA and KxxxPxxx led on Amazon and used them in the tent 4x4. But the plants grows very very slowly even for veg, so they have to use their old 1000W HPS again. We asked them to check the draw power, the lights is only about 150~180W. It only can work for 2’x2’---2.5’x2.5’. And they even could not find the PAR test pictures, so it is really difficult to say the lights efficiency.
If you want to use led grow lights, the most important thing is to find a suitable and right lights.
Do you really need 1000W leds for your plants?
Usually when we use traditional led grow lights: 30--35W/SF (draw power) will be needed for veg. 35--50W/SF (draw power) will be needed for flowering if you want to get good harvest, so when you choose led grow light, you can calculate how many watt led you need.
What’s more, PAR is also very important, 300--350umol/s will be needed for growth, 700--800umol/s will be needed for flowering. It can help you judge your light coverage and light efficiency.
Conclusion: when we buy led grow lights, we can not only see the name of product, we also need to read specification “draw power” and PAR, coverage of lights.Hope everyone can find the suitable lightsfor their growing. :)
1000w led grow lights.png

That means we need 1000w LED (real power) to replace 1000w HPS in order to get the same yield.
This is Not true either. Some LED's are far more efficient than others. You do not need the same wattage (1000w led) as a (1000w) hps to get the same yield with good quality LED's and the right coverage. Quality is the key. Homemade LED's have grown 2 grams per watt when built and placed and ran correctly. With commercially made LED's you may have a point and may need close to a watt to watt light to get the same yield. Not the case with many of us and our homemade setups though.
Also...
we also need to read specification “draw power” and PAR, coverage of lights
True par coverage advertising from almost every grow light company there is is almost as falsely advertised as the wattage. Not only is the par in coverage over exaggerated but those par tests are not done with plants in the room either where the branches in the center create shadows and dark spots that really put a hamper on par levels at the edges of the grow area. True Par coverage is usually about two-thirds of what is advertised at the very most. I test every light I get my hands on. Straight up, I see lights made that are 10 inches wide and 30 inches long, so how can advertised par coverage be 2 feet by 4 feet for example? When the light itself is 3 times longer than it is wide how can that math work out? It cant and it dont.

MARS is no different in this regard. If they were they would advertise True wattage and TRUE par in a real world scenario but they dont. They market big numbers just like every other company. If only one of these led companies were smart enough to advertise actual true numbers they would be amazed at how many people would buy their product just for being truthful and not trying to Market with big numbers.

This is Not true either. Some LED's are far more efficient than others. You do not need the same wattage (1000w led) as a (1000w) hps to get the same yield with good quality LED's and the right coverage. Quality is the key. Homemade LED's have grown 2 grams per watt when built and placed and ran correctly. With commercially made LED's you may have a point and may need close to a watt to watt light to get the same yield. Not the case with many of us and our homemade setups though.
Hi fanleaf, thanks for reading! And your true!
When we wrote this article, we mean the traditional blurple lights, now in the market, we have very good tech lights, like HLG, our SP series, and some other brand lights, they can save around 30%~50% energy compare to HPS now. But not that much like to use 150w to replace 1000w, currently the online "1000w" lights are advertised like can saving "75%" energy, this is not true. :peace:
The future is to have more energy saving led grow lights, so that growers can save more energy while have the same good output though. :Namaste:

When we wrote this article, we mean the traditional blurple lights, now in the market, we have very good tech lights, like HLG, our SP series, and some other brand lights, they can save around 30%~50% energy compare to HPS now. But not that much like to use 150w to replace 1000w, currently the online "1000w" lights are advertised like can saving "75%" energy, this is not true. :peace:
The future is to have more energy saving led grow lights, so that growers can save more energy while have the same good output though. :Namaste:
That is very true. There's no one going to outperform a 1000w HPS with a 150 watt LED. I fully agree and get the point you're trying to make.

...the availability of cob or strip light kits in Canada is either dismal and/or costly...they can be sourced thru' the US, but exchange puts a big hit to the purchase...from what I've been seeing, these new SP lights may offer the consumer a great compromise between high end white lights, DIY or otherwise, and traditional blurples...at an affordable price...seems MH has an ear to the ground in respect to consumer needs/wants...cheerz...h00k...:rollit::passitleft:...

...the availability of cob or strip light kits in Canada is either dismal and/or costly...they can be sourced thru' the US, but exchange puts a big hit to the purchase...from what I've been seeing, these new SP lights may offer the consumer a great compromise between high end white lights, DIY or otherwise, and traditional blurples...at an affordable price...seems MH has an ear to the ground in respect to consumer needs/wants...cheerz...h00k...:rollit::passitleft:...
You are right. While I can't relate to the availability issues because I'm not in Canada I fully agree that Mars Hydro has an ear to the ground to what consumers are after and that is fantastic. That's why even though my response to the thread may have seemed kind of brash it comes from a place of well-meaning. Just straight to the point I guess. I really believe a company could do great by breaking away from the typical LED marketing strategy and getting their name out there as a company that is not advertising crazy numbers but honesty. Once that word starts to spread it would go like wildfire in my opinion.

You are right. While I can't relate to the availability issues because I'm not in Canada I fully agree that Mars Hydro has an ear to the ground to what consumers are after and that is fantastic. That's why even though my response to the thread may have seemed kind of brash it comes from a place of well-meaning. Just straight to the point I guess. I really believe a company could do great by breaking away from the typical LED marketing strategy and getting their name out there as a company that is not advertising crazy numbers but honesty. Once that word starts to spread it would go like wildfire in my opinion.

...Totally agree!...and I remember following Yer' build with admiration ...and jealousy...;):rofl:...cheerz...h00k...:rollit::passitleft:....

is there any high wattage LED like in the 400W range that are worth buying atm?

compromise being the key word here
it's hard being all things to all people
high end white lights are expensive, relative to other light options
most people don't have resources to acquire them
MH bills itself as good lights at a reasonable price, not the best lights in the market

...again...agreed...:thumb:...and MH is very lucky to have Sara here as a rep!...for nearly 6 years, she has been nothing but great for the company...both in promotion and absorbing criticism...sometimes warranted...often not!...if I ever make it to China(prolly not the best idea right now...;):eek:) I'll buy her a beer/saki...:high-five:...cheerz...h00k...:rollit::passitleft:...

is there any high wattage LED like in the 400W range that are worth buying atm?
Sure, many. Just understand the difference between advertised wattage and actual wattage used. Also if you want to grow and get larger yields do not count on over exaggerated advertised coverage areas.

Also...

True par coverage advertising from almost every grow light company there is is almost as falsely advertised as the wattage. Not only is the par in coverage over exaggerated but those par tests are not done with plants in the room either where the branches in the center create shadows and dark spots that really put a hamper on par levels at the edges of the grow area. True Par coverage is usually about two-thirds of what is advertised at the very most. I test every light I get my hands on. Straight up, I see lights made that are 10 inches wide and 30 inches long, so how can advertised par coverage be 2 feet by 4 feet for example? When the light itself is 3 times longer than it is wide how can that math work out? It cant and it dont.

MARS is no different in this regard. If they were they would advertise True wattage and TRUE par in a real world scenario but they dont. They market big numbers just like every other company. If only one of these led companies were smart enough to advertise actual true numbers they would be amazed at how many people would buy their product just for being truthful and not trying to Market with big numbers.

:thanks:

Apex tech and proper physical coverage, winning combo :)

...the availability of cob or strip light kits in Canada is either dismal and/or costly...they can be sourced thru' the US, but exchange puts a big hit to the purchase...

I don't understand, do you have to pay for the exchange from USD to CAD ?

I'm in the EU and when I order from the US I have to pay 25% VAT, and it's definitely worth it with optoelectronics :)

Really!?!?!

With the prices on Samsung strips and Luminus COBs in the US, why? :)

I'm gonna get some 730nm and 660nm strips from Australia though :)
Because the 5000k DB Bin cxb3590 is 210lm/w at decent drive levels. Still unbeatable in my book. I know the Samsung boards are all the he rage right now and they are indeed fantastic lights but they are just not there quite yet in my opinion. Very close but not yet. Luminous is a few steps back as far as I'm concerned. I have a few of the Luminous chips and after testing I put them to use on a few non related jobs. Dont get me wrong, the Luminous chips are good and will smoke blurple LEDs all day long. The Samsungs are even better. But it's still hard to beat 210lm/w that the Crees can do. I am slowly upping the blue in my spreads too. I'm seeing flowering is just as good but more efficient lights using less power. Still use 3000k and 3500k with them but not quite as much.

That is very true. There's no one going to outperform a 1000w HPS with a 150 watt LED. I fully agree and get the point you're trying to make.
Thank you ! Glad I explain right, :) no misunderstanding :Namaste:

Hi dr.h00k, thanks for stopping by! After the legalization in Canada, more and more sales raises, and ppl are tend to buy lights, the local competition will be more intense which will bring the price down for sure. :) But another problem raises as well, ppl tend to buy lights from amazon and ebay which is very cheap compare to local market and then bought the so called 1000w, 1500w 2000w LEDs. that is why we wrote this article, to help more customers buying the right lights. :green_heart:

Thank you for the words. We are aim to do long term business, so we hope to do it right. :) Mars Hydro is not only my job, but also my career. I don't want my company just make easy short money, and then I have no work. :peace:

compromise being the key word here
it's hard being all things to all people
high end white lights are expensive, relative to other light options
most people don't have resources to acquire them
MH bills itself as good lights at a reasonable price, not the best lights in the market
Your right! The high end lights such as fluence, we tried to make lights with the same chips, the osram chips, but the cost is insame, not to mention the retail, the same wattage for example 250w might go to more than 400USD. Luckily find the solutions, to make the same chips with Epistar, the output is almost the same, but the cost drops a lot. Which makes our customer can enjoy the new tech with less money. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom