Anybody need help with the electrical end of their growing? Electrician here!!

Hi there.
I'm new here and this post is just what I need (I hope :thumb:)

I am very new to the matter of planting and breeding. And when I say new, I mean like super new.

I did some research about this topic and I am quite sure that I have a rough idea what I need to grow at home.

I have a really good site where I can find looooads of amazing seeds (which is one of the main reasons I want to start growing now) and I planed to have my plants in a 4x4 tent.

But now it comes to the tricky part. The lights.
I read and read about lights but I just can't get a proper idea what is the right thing for me to do.
First of all there are sooooo many different brands ... what is the difference? It's already hard to understand which kind of light I should choose and how much wattage I might choose. But does it really matter about the brands? And how far should the lights be over my plants?

I hope you can help me!

Thank you very much

- May the 4th be with you

Hi there.
I'm new here and this post is just what I need (I hope :thumb:)

I am very new to the matter of planting and breeding. And when I say new, I mean like super new.

I did some research about this topic and I am quite sure that I have a rough idea what I need to grow at home.

I have a really good site where I can find looooads of amazing seeds (which is one of the main reasons I want to start growing now) and I planed to have my plants in a 4x4 tent.

But now it comes to the tricky part. The lights.
I read and read about lights but I just can't get a proper idea what is the right thing for me to do.
First of all there are sooooo many different brands ... what is the difference? It's already hard to understand which kind of light I should choose and how much wattage I might choose. But does it really matter about the brands? And how far should the lights be over my plants?

I hope you can help me!

Thank you very much

- May the 4th be with you

I was there too brudda... I researched for quite a while, following journals.. My MAIN concern was electricity cost.. So I researched T5's CFL's HID's HPS's and LED's.. With respect to running cost's, bulb replacement.. My intention was to grow quality medicine and never have to spend another dollar on med's as I have severe epilepsy..

So with extremely limited funds, I sold off everything I could, and purchased the best LED I could afford, that left me with TOP LED or Mars Hydro as they are known today..

I started with a Secret Jardin tent a 3x5 for flowering, but have upgraded to a 4x4 GG Tent with the 1ft height extension and will NEVER look back.. In that 4x4 I have 2x Mars 700's and everything is looking great..

If I had the money I would love to try another manufacturer, but for bang for the buck I must say I love my Mar's Panels and have had excellent results..

I also took into account how much fans pull in electricity per CFM, and ended up with a S Series Vortex 6" for intake and a 8" Hyperfan for exhaust.. The 8" Hyperfan Exhaust's both my Veg and Flower Tents at 75 watts at max power compared to a 8" Hurricane Fan at the same CFM that burns 280 watts... My Top LED 144x3 panel I use in my veg tent doesn't even pull that much lol..

I have the fans connected to Titan Controllers, a Zephyr 1 for the Hyperfan and a Mercury 4 for the Vortex as the Hyperfan as far as I know will NOT work on any other speed controller as the Hyperfan has a DC motor and its own speed controller, so its connected to the Zephyr 1..

This keeps my room TDF within 10 degrees and keeps plenty of CO2 pumping in through the tents.. If money is not an issue then I would be looking at LED for sure, as far as med quality and prolonged running costs..

Hey k0ncept,

Cheers for your message.
I'm sorry to hear about your severe epilepsy.
I hope the med will help you with that.

These are some really good tips I can base my plans on now!!!
Apparently the brands are not so important at all. As long as I go with LED I'm already making a good decision, right?

What are the main differences between the different LED brands. Is there any different technology used or is this just about personal preferences?

Your Set-Up sounds really sweet. Looks like you're doing a fine job there my friend.

At this point I actually safed quite a lot of money and I can invest between 3000-3500 into this project.
As I already said a 4x4 tent is what I'm planning to go with.
About the ventilation I thought about the Vortex S-Line as well. They don't produce so much noise and they have a really awesome design .. I love it.

I was thinking of going with the Zephyr 1 for both exhaust and intake, but I need to get some more infos about that for sure before I start.

Thanks already for your post.
Was a good help.

Cheers

Hi Vickp

i have an electric question for you :)

i recently bid for a cheap chinese led panel (i know it was a mistake, and as soos as i read a lot of thread from this amazing site, i decided to by a mars hydro panel, it is on its way for the moment)

so, i bought for 100$ a 900w pannel (supposed to be 150x6watt led). I decided to open it and i was a little confuse. I found 4 drivers (3 for leds and one for fans) but the drivers led were something like 80-120v 600mA constant. So, i was guessing if i could change them in order to get more power ? I know that i will have to improve the cooling part, and i am aware that the life span of the led will be less because of the power but i would like to draw at least 450w of light.
Taking into account that 50 leds are connected in series, i supposed that i juste have to find something around 1.5A (100v?)
Im so bad at electricity !!
if you could help me, it could be awsome.
thank to you in advance
ps: im not english nativ so, i apolodgize for my so bad english.
Ben

Hey k0ncept,

Cheers for your message.
I'm sorry to hear about your severe epilepsy.
I hope the med will help you with that.

These are some really good tips I can base my plans on now!!!
Apparently the brands are not so important at all. As long as I go with LED I'm already making a good decision, right?

What are the main differences between the different LED brands. Is there any different technology used or is this just about personal preferences?

Your Set-Up sounds really sweet. Looks like you're doing a fine job there my friend.

At this point I actually safed quite a lot of money and I can invest between 3000-3500 into this project.
As I already said a 4x4 tent is what I'm planning to go with.
About the ventilation I thought about the Vortex S-Line as well. They don't produce so much noise and they have a really awesome design .. I love it.

I was thinking of going with the Zephyr 1 for both exhaust and intake, but I need to get some more infos about that for sure before I start.

Thanks already for your post.
Was a good help.

Cheers

Anytime Brother, always try to help with what I have tried and know works.. With a 4x4 that will give you tons of options on lighting, you could wait for a Sun Series, or use a couple of 700's or 900's or go with one 1600.. I always guesstimate UNDER what any mfg states as the footprint of a light..

I do know a couple of 700's are kicking butt in my 4x4, but would probably go with a couple of 900's if I started over, or go with a single 1600 as it has a veg and bloom option, where the 1200 and under do not..

I also love that they are upgrading the reflector's to 5w's.. I have a 144x3 now and it kicks the crap out of my GrowLab 80L that is almost 3ft x 5ft.. I was shocked at the performance of that little light lol..

Also the Vortex 8" S series is LOUD!! I cant say that LOUD ENOUGH! I just completed installing a Phresh 8" x 24" Silencer and now you wouldn't even know I had an 8" Intake fan running hehe awesome stuff! I almost felt bad buying it.. But once I installed it I was in bliss mode! I can hear myself think now..

Hello vickp and thank you for your offer of help.
My plants are ready to go into the flowering room, but I have not yet completed the wiring. Stealth purposes prevent me from asking for advice from local electricians and supply shops.

I need help with a few items, please

Allow me to describe my set-up:

220V supply
New circuit breaker to be added in to existing DB

Inside the room:
Digital timer
Contactor

A total of 56 1,5m T5 double fittings
58W Warm white tubes (112 total)
(These are assembled into 8 panels of 7 fittings each, each panel with a switch)

One 8 inch inline extractor fan (two-speed)

Two 10" oscillating fans

One space heater, max power 400W, thermostat controlled

When the timer signals on, I'd like all the lights, the oscillating fans and the extractor fan to come on (at the high speed setting).
The heater to be powered continuously
Timer signal off should turn off all equipment, but power the extractor fan at the low speed setting.

My questions are:
What size and type of contactor should I be using?
How do I wire the contactor to fan?
What size wire do I need for a) DB to contactor (24ft); b) Size of circuit breaker needed in my existing DB to supply this; c) Wire size from contactor to switch on each of the 8 light panels (The panels will be in two adjacent rows of 4 each, with the contactor mounted against the one end wall of the room. The output will thus be split at the contactor, supplying two sets of 4 panels each and one supply to the fan. Maximum distance about 18ft.

Back
Top Bottom