What to tell electrician?

Geodesic

I'm about to buy a single family house. I plan to grow 25 plants at least to start. What specifications do I give the electrician to make sure I have adequate power and no chance of electrical fires from overload, without arousing suspicion?

Best bet, get a close friend and have him become an electrician. LOL

Being an electrician myself comes in really handy for this type of stuff. there isn't much that you could do to tell him/her to stop the suspect.

If I where you I would go to Home Depot and get the book on home wiring, follow it to a T and your set. The biggest thing to remember is not to overload a circuit or make bad connections, cant stress that enough.

Other than that, wiring is easy, but needs to be done without taking any "short" cuts.

Good luck and get the book, its very helpfull and no one will suspect a thing, cheaper to.

Peace

Spec out the electrical requirements of the grow lights and the fans and whatever and give it to the electrician. They don't need an explanation other than you plan on using the area as a workshop. The electrician doesn't really care what you are going to do there. For all you know he smokes too.

Spec out the electrical requirements of the grow lights and the fans and whatever and give it to the electrician. They don't need an explanation other than you plan on using the area as a workshop. The electrician doesn't really care what you are going to do there. For all you know he smokes too.

no doubt....seperate 100a box for a workshop

Umm.. If you plan on running 220.. Just ask him to put another 220 plug for a planned "dryer" in another location of the house on a seperate circuit. Like if it's the basement, or garage, just tell'm you're renting the place and the tenants didn't like the location of the current dryer.

If you feel you owe them an explanation and want a turnkey deal with professionally installed outlets tell your contractor that you are installing a server farm. If you need multiple rooms done, it's a server farm for your adult website and this room is going to be the studio were all of the action is! Gives a reason for telling them to keep it on the d/l as well.

Yes, I would also say you have a rack mount server cluster or a bunch of computers and big screen TVs and all that stuff, and you want to rebuild your wiring system ONCE and RIGHT.

If you have computers around that he can see as he's working, that's even better.

Another computer idea, if the conversation even goes that far - tell him you're working on Stanford Universities' Folding@Home project, and that 2-4 good video cards per PC draw a lot of power.

The advice on the planning of a workshop was right on if you are building a new house. Install single recepticals on 20 amp circuits in several places. This will give the ability to load up on the circuit at different places and cut the load for future expansion. Make sure to use breakers for the proper gauge of wire and don't use cheap extension cord, get the size wire that handles the amps.

DIY is the best way, if you are capable. Home wiring is really pretty easy if you are familiar with simple hand tools.

First figure your amperage/ load requirements for your lights. Go at least 30% over what you figure are your minimum requirements for your lights, fans, pumps, AC etc. so you can plug in xtra stuff (you will find you want to add more stuff later). Make sure your main panel will handle all the xtra load you are adding w/ your lights, etc. If it will not, you will need an electrician to install a higher load main box/ panel.

For example, if your main box/ panel has a max load of 100 amps, and you will be running another 60 amps worth of equipment, you might want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel.

My home already had a 200 amp main panel. My grow room is 8x10x8, so I run two 1000 watt HID's for veg. and flower. The room already had a 15 amp circuit, which I knew would not be enough power for what I wanted to run. Each light only pulls 8 amps, but I wanted a sealed room type set-up so I could run CO2, and grow stinky stuff in a stealth mode. So I would also need to run a 8000 BTU AC (10 amps) and two 435 CFM inline fans for carbon filter and light cooling (1 amp each) and also a 170 cfm fan (another half amp) for periodic atmosphere dump cuz I'm running CO2 and AC. That total around 28 amps. Then a circulating air fan and a humidifier and aero cloner brings it up pretty close to 30 amps.

So I decided to run 2 extra 120 volt 20 amp circuits for the room, giving me a total capacity (max operating load) of 55 amps, well more than enough; but xtra just in case I want to knock the wall down between that room and the next and expand in the future (never know, eh?)

Anyway I ran 12 gauge 3 wire romax cable from the panel through the wall (this is in my basement, the grow room is right next to where the main panel is located under the basement stairs) and wired in one 4 recepticle outlet box for each 20 amp circuit. Had to cut sheet rock in ceiling and walls of room to install cable, later I repaired it and repainted. Shut off main panel, took panel cover off, installed two new 20 amp breakers for the two new circuits, wired the finished circuits to the breakers and voila! Done.

It's a lot easier than it sounds, really. All you need is a book on basic home wiring and basic home repair, some basic hand tool skills and common sense and the ability to read and understand instructions.

It was worth it to me as I saved around $800- $1000 and I didn't have to deal w/ having a stranger come into my house.

Get a book and follow the directions.
Somethings might not make sense, but electricity and electrical installation is pretty straight forward. The reason you avoid shortcuts is that everything in an installation, that the rules say do, is there because of a fire caused by not doing it that way.
In the USA the "bible" is the NEC code book.
Printed by the National Fire Protection Association, lol.

The DIY books adhere to it like a Baptist preacher follows the bible.

Personally, I would run a sub-panel to the room and then branch off it for power needs.
That way you would only need to run one circuit from your main panel to the room, instead of several circuits.

use no.12 wire not the 14 it is heavier and will handle more current limit outlets to no more than 8 per circuit (less than allowed but your going to be drawing more amps than normal) Use good gfi circuit breakers. a bit more expense will increase long term enjoyment fires sux.,

Back
Top Bottom