Gregormendel

Anyone having problems with theese lights increasing room temps? I just set mine up and am getting 10-15 degrees hotter in my room.. Not too bad now but when temps hit 100+ it could be a little scary

Just wondering how people are dealing with not being able to exhaust the heat produced by theese lights

Hi Gregormendel,

Welcome to 420 Magazine and community of members that gathers here.

I think most of the LED users I've seen discussing their lights generally aren't seeing much temperature rise they attribute to the lights. Every now and then I think I've someone mention it, but generally not. Curious why you would not be able to exhaust the heat? Realize LED's don't lend themselves to inline venting like an air cooled HID, but you should still be able to vent if needed?

I thought so too I'm running a 4 inch inline out of the ceiling it's 165 cfm and I have an 8inch passive intake at the floor. I have added a 50cfm fan pulling from a separate vent to the top of the light where the intake fans are to try and get the air coming out of the side of the lights cooler.. It helped about 3-5 degrees but still not enough to combat a 100degree day maybe I'm just overthinking the heat problem but I don't want to get caught in a storm without an umbrella you know what I'm sayin?

It's an empty closet interesting question,,, will filing up with plants reduce airspace in tern making my ventilation more efficient?

Completely understand your desire to address the problem before it's an actual problem. I suspect I'm stating the obvious, but it sounds as though your light is putting out more heat than the 4 inch inline fan can evacuate.

I confess that I can't visualize your description "I have added a 50cfm fan pulling from a separate vent to the top of the light where the intake fans are to try and get the air coming out of the side of the lights cooler." Could the fans be fighting each other? Or is the seperate fan fighting the cooling fans of the LED? Sorry if I'm not understanding something obvious here.

It's a cooler air flow by just like running a fan for intake ducted to the top of the light I'll get pics tonight

Flow by meaning the duct pulls from adjoining room through the small online then pointed at the intake fans on the light so it's not fighting fans it's just making the air the fan pulls from fresher and cooler

It's an empty closet interesting question,,, will filing up with plants reduce airspace in tern making my ventilation more efficient?

You will see a huge difference when you put plants/soil in the tent. With an empty reflective tent the heat and light are just bouncing all over the place. With plants or soil you actually have something there to soak up heat and light. Go get some pots, throw moist soil in there and see what your temps look like. With your exhaust and 300 draw watts of LED I would expect a 7-10 degree (Farenheit) difference.

I actually put some new soil in there last night we will see how it helps! Awsome point. I had never thought about the plants helping out

What do you guys think about this idea?

419583E0-E6DD-4E59-AF37-B03A6933956E_zpsawppxjtv.png

It's a 192x 5watt it says 960watt. actual draw on bloom mode(most power) is about 420watts. lowest I have gotten is 69/77 with the cool air blowing over the fans with no carbon filter and the exhaust hose positioned just below the height of the light if I have my filter attached they can easily hit 85 at 70 degrees ambient all the inside temps are taken with a digital thermo/humidity reader with a wireless sensor placed at what would be canopy height

This is how it was setup when it was getting hot. I have since removed the carbon filter and let the hose dangle beneath the lights so it's drawing most of its air from about an inch below the light I have also ran a separate hose with a small inline fan from the outside of the closet up to the top of the light blowing cool air across the lights intake fan

930BDC13-E443-4B24-B7EB-F04C63D05286_zpsii0ths5v.png

Buy a cheap temp and humidity monitor at wallmart which is indoor outdoor, I have several that I drop the cord to be used outside down to plant height and keep check on temps. It is always up to 10 degrees cooler right at plant level where the light hits. Up by light it is much higher. I use 900 watts of DIY leds in 2 4X4 tents while quite hot up at lights at plant level seldom goes above 90 usually a few lower. I also use a 4 inch inline fan and 6 inch incoming.

Alright thanks for the help guys! I'm stoked to get started got some seeds germinating now

I have been monitoring with wireless indoor outdoor humidity/ thermometer with high/low memory

90 is ok? Seems pretty how what's your ambient temp ?

Is anyone from so cal that has survived a summer run? What did you do to keep temps down when it's a hundred degrees outside? We just put in double pane Windows idk how hot the ambient temps will get

What size is your space?

Do you measure the temperature in the top, middle or bottom of the tent?

I have 2 of the 144x5 reflectors in a 4x4 tent and I too see high temperatures when the ambient temperature is high, but usually in the top of the tent. I can have 30° C in above the lights and 20° C just above the plants.

When it gets hot run the lights at night, maybe get an inline fan and find a way to lower the ambient temperature.

I noticed there is only 2 fans on the 192 panel, where the is 3 on the 144, maybe it's a picture from the old 3w series.?.?

Back
Top Bottom