LED lights

You may want to re familiarize yourself with the HLG product before you make statements like that.
The 550 V2 RSPEC has been using the Samsung LM301H Diodes for quite some time now and it also incorporates 660nm deep red.
Budget LED make fine products but they certainly aren't in a class of their own

I wouldn't say "quite some time", but whatever. Most places I've seen those they are on the V2 RSpec and still list the 301B's. Maybe they have something new coming out soon, or only directly on their site. Either way they still have a higher price tag, and as a direct apple to apple comparison, why pay more for the same thing. Yes, the "RSpec" means they're including the OSRAM diodes as well. Gee, Budget does that too. So really, they are pretty much the same panels, with the exception that Budget also adds in some of the LG UV diodes on top of it.

HLG isn't a bad company, and it's not a bad product. I'm not saying that. What I am saying though, is that the Budget LED lights are a tick better (and more than a tick if HLG isn't on the 301H train yet), and have a better price tag. That still puts HLG out of the race.

You may want to re familiarize yourself with the HLG product before you make statements like that.
The 550 V2 RSPEC has been using the Samsung LM301H Diodes for quite some time now and it also incorporates 660nm deep red.
Budget LED make fine products but they certainly aren't in a class of their own
Made in the USA and vet owned makes Budget a no brainer for me. The price is like icing on a cake.

I think most people are under the impression that LM301B and LM301H are different chips.
They are 100% identical, zero difference between them as far as the chip itself.

The only difference is how they are marketed, the B version is marketed for horticulture and in Umols/j whereas the H is marketed in Lumens. That's the only "difference" if you can call it that.
Has the same anti-sulfurization coating same efficiency, same spectrum, absolutely identical.

You're welcome. The biggest factor is how much you're willing to spend. For a 4x8, I'm sure you've prepared yourself or you wouldn't be here asking.

Here's a general overview comparison of the two lights I'd mentioned. You would need 2 of them, whichever you might select.

@Budget LED: Series 3+ Red Spec 500 Watt Dimmable Grow Light (3500k)

Power Draw: 500w (1000w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each)
Price: $699 (They have a special code in their sponsor thread for forum members, that's worth 5% off)
Total cost: $1400 ($1330 after discount, and free shipping)

ROI-E680 via LED Grow Lights Depot

Power Draw: 680w (1360w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each, some places list 7x7)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each, some places list 5x5)
Price: $999 (They are on sale right now, 10%off. You can also check out the actual youtube page for their YouTube video for a 10% discount code as well. The discounts don't stack, but either way 10% off is $100.)
Total cost: $2000 ($1800 after discount, and free shipping. Add $200 for controller, if desired. I would recommend it though.)

Either of the 2 lights above will rock the shit out of a 4x8. The major difference is going to be a slightly more even spread with the ROI-E680, as they are strip LED's vice boards. However, to be quite honest, the real-world difference isn't much, and most likely someone is not really going to notice a difference.

One excellent selling point of the Budget LED boards is that the series 3 Red Spec now include some UV chips. This is a big deal, and an advantage over the E680.

Another point would be the power difference. You're going to cut your power in half with the Budget LED units, and with the others you'll end up saving about 30%.

Final point, the Budget LED setup will be about $700 less.

In the long run, while I do love the E680 (and they are quite popular, so at times may be on back order), if I were choosing between the two lights today, I'd be running to Budget LED. With UV on the boards now, plus getting the same or better PPFD for 180w less (per light), it's a no brainer. I'm a firm believer that if you can save a watt here and there with the same result, you're better off in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, the E680's are absolutely fantastic lights. I love the shit out of mine. However, in a side by side, unless one is super super super picky about how even their coverage is, to the point were a few % blows their mind, then all the favorable points swing to Budget LED.

Someone had mentioned HLG Quantum Boards as an option, and technically they are. However, side by side comparison against the same setup from Budget LED, HLG is blown out of the water right now.

The HLG panels are $850 each, use Samsung LM301B diodes (Budget LED is using the newer LM301H), and don't have the additional UV chips. They draw similar power. So really, other than having something that says HLG, that's it. Budget LED whips their butt. It isn't even close.
You're welcome. The biggest factor is how much you're willing to spend. For a 4x8, I'm sure you've prepared yourself or you wouldn't be here asking.

Here's a general overview comparison of the two lights I'd mentioned. You would need 2 of them, whichever you might select.

@Budget LED: Series 3+ Red Spec 500 Watt Dimmable Grow Light (3500k)

Power Draw: 500w (1000w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each)
Price: $699 (They have a special code in their sponsor thread for forum members, that's worth 5% off)
Total cost: $1400 ($1330 after discount, and free shipping)

ROI-E680 via LED Grow Lights Depot

Power Draw: 680w (1360w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each, some places list 7x7)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each, some places list 5x5)
Price: $999 (They are on sale right now, 10%off. You can also check out the actual youtube page for their YouTube video for a 10% discount code as well. The discounts don't stack, but either way 10% off is $100.)
Total cost: $2000 ($1800 after discount, and free shipping. Add $200 for controller, if desired. I would recommend it though.)

Either of the 2 lights above will rock the shit out of a 4x8. The major difference is going to be a slightly more even spread with the ROI-E680, as they are strip LED's vice boards. However, to be quite honest, the real-world difference isn't much, and most likely someone is not really going to notice a difference.

One excellent selling point of the Budget LED boards is that the series 3 Red Spec now include some UV chips. This is a big deal, and an advantage over the E680.

Another point would be the power difference. You're going to cut your power in half with the Budget LED units, and with the others you'll end up saving about 30%.

Final point, the Budget LED setup will be about $700 less.

In the long run, while I do love the E680 (and they are quite popular, so at times may be on back order), if I were choosing between the two lights today, I'd be running to Budget LED. With UV on the boards now, plus getting the same or better PPFD for 180w less (per light), it's a no brainer. I'm a firm believer that if you can save a watt here and there with the same result, you're better off in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, the E680's are absolutely fantastic lights. I love the shit out of mine. However, in a side by side, unless one is super super super picky about how even their coverage is, to the point were a few % blows their mind, then all the favorable points swing to Budget LED.

Someone had mentioned HLG Quantum Boards as an option, and technically they are. However, side by side comparison against the same setup from Budget LED, HLG is blown out of the water right now.

The HLG panels are $850 each, use Samsung LM301B diodes (Budget LED is using the newer LM301H), and don't have the additional UV chips. They draw similar power. So really, other than having something that says HLG, that's it. Budget LED whips their butt. It isn't even close.
This is awesome, thanks for taking the time for me..

I think most people are under the impression that LM301B and LM301H are different chips.
They are 100% identical, zero difference between them as far as the chip itself.

The only difference is how they are marketed, the B version is marketed for horticulture and in Umols/j whereas the H is marketed in Lumens. That's the only "difference" if you can call it that.
Has the same anti-sulfurization coating same efficiency, same spectrum, absolutely identical.

this. ^
believe the b's are binned slightly better, as in they fail more out in testing than the h's. the real world difference is not much.

a few yrs ago i bought horticultural citizen cobs. less than a yr later they dropped the designation, and sold the one kind for all applications. again, the only difference was the binning. the difference between the two was so small there was no reason for them to bother.

if doing the diy check pricing on both strips. you can save an extra 10% or more.

I say go with Budget LED, I use one of the 500w series 3+ in my 4x4 tent with great results!
IMG_20200317_161239.jpg
That's some great looking bud there Slick. What strain is it and did u do a journal?

Would you think the 250 red spec would be sufficient for a 4x4x6 grow tent with 6 plants in 3 gallon pots?

You will need two of those for a 4x4. I have a pair in a 4x4 and they’re killer. I went with 2 instead of their 4-panel model simply for better adjustability. I also like that it gives me a gap in the middle for my UVB strip. :D

I may be changing my other 4x4 to another pair of those lights. Haven’t made up my mind yet, but it’s a long-ish story.

Back
Top Bottom