Heat problems with LED grow lighting - All brands discussion

Let me reiterate, a watt is NOT heat, a watt is associated with heat in that converting energy "from one form to another over a particular period of time" will generate heat, and that includes turbines and windmills.

heatmiser, indeed you are sensitive. You've said it yourself. And it's not a "strategy." Read your own posts. I quoted wikipedia and you replied saying I was trying to make you look stupid. Here are a few more of your more recent quotes to look at:

"I have seen blogging like this before. A blogger uses the strategy of ad hominem attacks (your too sensitive), and the age old strategy of the chase my semantics game (I maintain that its related to, and its associated with)."

"its best that if your strategy is to cut and paste your way through an argument, you may wish to choose another likeminded person who also doesn't mind being called out as not knowing what he is talking about "

Edit: And by the way, I never said you were sensitive until you admitted it. In any case, we're making different arguments on different interpretations (semantics). It's not worth pursuing this discussion between you and I.

water going through a hydro damn is energy measured at the turbine's generator as watts
wind is the same

wheres the heat?
The heat is in the watts, now before people get bent on this, just remember this is a simplified answer. When electricity is created it is calculated to how much work it can do. If you generate 1000 watts, you can drive 1000 watts, that's it's work potential, and that's where the heat comes out.

omg - I can't work with this.
No it is not. This makes no sense.
stop the nonsense
We should all be "sensitive" to this.

Science has no room for "semantics" as you use the term here.

I used the hydro turbine example hoping it couldn't get any simpler. Oh well.

VSpin, your too sensitive, its clear from your need to enhance your ego at the expense of clarity for others. Stop obfuscating what watts are, which are not heat, or vice-versa - thats so basic its absurd to go any further.

Someone please close this thread.

heatmiser, I'm not defining watts as heat. Heat is heat. Nothing else is heat but heat. Unless you can chime in with something intelligent that shows otherwise? I'm pointing out the association (your words). Figure it out already!

The only reason we have heat in our universe is from energy converting "from one form to another." If you can't draw the association, please stop talking.

No reason to close the thread. You're the only one being sensitive. Read your posts, then read everyone elses.

Yes,
I see you can't stop even though your oversensitive self claimed it was going to.
And if you read my posts, and everyone elses, its plain that WE are all trying to clarify an issue about heat - not being watts because thats stupid.
All you are doing, Vspin, is acting out your ego needs and confusing others who might have believed you had I not contradicted you
You can't stop, can you? Maybe that works over at I C Mag.

Yes, so by all means, continue...
So I am sensitive, is that all you have? How am I, or sensitivity, related to heat or watts?
You undoubtedly have been making a mess of threads with this trollish ego ranting for sometime. Clearly no one shows up out of the blue with a partially copied definition from wikipedia that makes no sense with the hope of appearing clever unless they do it as a bad habit that needs to be broken
You got called on it and your still whining. Thats too sensitive, clearly.
Hey I C Mag is calling!

If I recall correctly, it was you that pursued the discussion?

"WE are all trying to clarify an issue about heat - not being watts because thats stupid."

Really? This was not a discussion on efficiency, and the watt being the culprit for heat? Rather this was a discussion on the most basic definition of a watt, and nothing more?

I tend to use my carbon filter as a heat exchanger too... It's placed at the top of the grow area to pull out the hotter air and also scrub the air. Can you increase your flow there and do the same? Maybe that's your billion dollar idea Ice... Make clip on heat exchangers for panels :)

I do this to a degree. I have LED's exclusively and have an unused bedroom setup as a hobby room. It's sealed pretty well for both light and air flow. I did not get a solid grip on temps until I cut a vent in the ceiling right above my inline fan/carbon filter, installed a simple back-flow preventer and started expelling into the attic. Right now I have a generic inline fan that is rated at 175cfm on full power. The problem there is, on full power this fan is still quite loud and I am trying continuously to tweak, upgrade and improve my grow environment.

I have a new silent inline fan arriving today that should increase my airflow/exchange rate slightly AND be a good bit quieter. I'll know soon enough.

:cool:

I guess I've been lucky, where my room is I don't have to worry about too much heat, I have to worry about maintaining a minimum temp so any heat the 300W Apollo LED I have puts off only helps me out.. this time of the year (winter) I run a fairly stable 73 degrees with a 5 degree drop at night. In the Summer I run closer to 79-80 degrees.. I also use a small oil heater in one corner to boost the temp, it has a thermostat on it so once I've dialed in the temps it just comes on to maintain, which is freaking handy let me tell you. When I finally get around to setting up my second room I might have to worry about temps more since it will be a much larger room with more lights (8'x10' 7'h vs. 4'x5'x7'h - 400% increase in size :cheer:). But that's still a while away yet...

Im planning on getting more light on my plants, by building a set off custom cob grow lights were im going to place the heatsinks in air cooled cases. If been looking for this for a long time and only found chilled doing this but those lights come at a high price so im going to diy it. And because im micro growing I could get a better size light to fit my grow. And get 200 w of cobs and 150 w hps and all that aircooled.

Wattage is wattage. Wattage is heat produced or work done. With LED's you should get more PAR (light) per watt or you have a bad system. And an LED's light doesn't heat the plant nearly as much as HPS or LEC so the temperatures can get higher.

I'm able to dim down my Cob's to 1/3 power in veg. Then I can crank it up to over 1000 Par without damaging the plants. Before with my LEC 315 I could only get about 800 PAR without damaging the plants.

Plus my system allows for the drivers to be outside the tent reducing heat further.

The reason is down to how energy efficient they are, and in truth they have only just started to overtake HIDs when it comes to energy efficiency HIDS will convert about 25% electric into visible light the majority of current LEDs will convert about 35ish% into visible light the in both cases 75% and 65% waste is heat that is why there will not be much temperature difference between the 2.

Watt for watt a 1000w actual draw led and a 1000w HID will both have the same heat issues as the conversion factor is similar, so its a myth that they are more energy efficient and run at lower temps, but the technology is steadily improving, so it will get there one day just not yet.
hey guys my led light isn't getting hot enough it's running at 20 degrees cel I'm new to this wat have I done wrong

If your light is cranking out light but not getting hot is good thing I think. If the drivers are cool they last alot longer.
yea the problem is the temp wouldn't go higher 19.5 degrees so I've put a 400watt light at the top of the tent just for heat until I sort this problem wat should I do

Back
Top Bottom