2pcs Mars 300 or 2 Mars Reflector 48s - Help! 32"x32"x63"

GhostQueries

Hey everybody.
New to the community, have been following a lot of threads these last few months and have finally decided to put my plans into action! I've decided on a small 32"x32"x63" tentI from Giantex (5.33 square feet), and to purchase LEDs from MarsHydro. The only question I have is if I should go with 2 Reflector series 48s or the older model Mars300s (2 piece set?) that I found on a bidding site (not sure if I can list the site here..) The latter wouldn't be a bid, but purchased outright for $137.99 totaling about 280 actual watts. The 48s would be pulling 200 actual watts - would I possibly need supplemental light if going this route?

If it matters I plan on growing autos, was hoping 2-3 medium sized plants would be sufficient space?! Don't want to miss out on the MarsHydro black friday sale on Sunday for the reflectors so could use any opinions you all could offer.

Thanks for all the knowledge I've soaked up these last few months and any insight that could be provided today!:Namaste:

re: 2pcs Mars 300 or 2 Mars Reflector 48s - Help! 32"x32"x63"

Well I hope I'm not too late...lol....
I use 2 mars -48 in my 3x3. I keep the light a few inches higher than they recommended. I use 1 Mars Epistar 166 in my 4x4. I know there is extra room, but I prefer a little extra, since I only grow for me and my wife.
Good Luck...

re: 2pcs Mars 300 or 2 Mars Reflector 48s - Help! 32"x32"x63"

I run both the lights you're looking at and maybe I can help you make a decision.

The 300's are loud, but cheap and would be a decent choice for that size tent.

The 48x5 reflectors gives you better spectrum and penetration, and they make a lot less noise. However if you run 2 they give you an uneven coverage and you will end up with 2 ''dark'' corners or sides. They only cover ~45cm x 45cm(1.5ft. x 1.5 ft.) each.

The best would be a Mars II 700 giving you plenty penetration, coverage and watt/square ft.

You can do 3 autos(or photos) in 10L-15L pots in that area - 4 might be tight, but certainly possible.

These are the best autos I've grown if you need a little inspiration;)

Girl Scout Cookies - Fast Buds
THC Bomb Auto - Bomb Seeds
Auto Night Queen - Dutch Passion

Happy growing :Namaste:

Well I hope I'm not too late...lol....
I use 2 mars -48 in my 3x3. I keep the light a few inches higher than they recommended. I use 1 Mars Epistar 166 in my 4x4. I know there is extra room, but I prefer a little extra, since I only grow for me and my wife.
Good Luck...

You're not! Making the purchase this weekend. Never thought it would be so overwhelming. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using 420

2pcs Mars 300 or 2 Mars Reflector 48s - Help! 32"x32"x63"

I run both the lights you're looking at and maybe I can help you make a decision.

The 48x5 reflectors gives you better spectrum and penetration, and they make a lot less noise. However if you run 2 they give you an uneven coverage and you will end up with 2 ''dark'' corners or sides. They only cover ~45cm x 45cm(1.5ft. x 1.5 ft.) each.

The best would be a Mars II 700 giving you plenty penetration, coverage and watt/square ft.

You can do 3 autos(or photos) in 10L-15L pots in that area - 4 might be tight, but certainly possible.

This is perfect! What you're saying is even with the 2 reflector 48s covering 1.5x1.5 each I would still come up short in some areas.. Option would be to ride it out or try supplemental lighting. I'm thinking it would be more cost effective to "get it right the first time" opposed to adding more lights which will subsequently raise my electric bill.

I guess when a lights footprint fits the space perfectly the 2 smaller panels being superior to one larger goes out of the window? Multiple panels would be to obtain the best coverage so it's irrelevant in this scenario?

The marsII 700 is a bit more cost wise,but an absolutely perfect fit.

The Mars300 has 2x2 coverage- so two would leave me completely covered? Just dealing with noise and penetration issues. Which brings me back to the idea of supplemental lighting...which would cost me about the difference between getting the mars II (not including the electric bill).

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to keep this as cost efficient as possible while growing my own quality medicine. Thanks again

Edit: Just narrowed it down some on my own- the Mars600 is out as the optimal footprint is only 2.5x2 in veg and 2x1.5 in flower. Now leaning towards the marsII 700.

Thanks for your help:thanks:

1 Reflector is with switches,you can control spectrum settings between Growth / Bloom Mode.
2 Mars 300 uses glass cover ,which will reduce some light. However, Reflector uses reflection board ,which will reflect maximum light back to the plants compared to Mars300
3 The coverage is different.
4 Reflector series with IR diodes,IR promote cell division,helps germination,leaf building and flowering,which Mars 300 not have.
I recommend you go with Reflector series,your plants will like it.:high-five:

1 Reflector is with switches,you can control spectrum settings between Growth / Bloom Mode.
2 Mars 300 uses glass cover ,which will reduce some light. However, Reflector uses reflection board ,which will reflect maximum light back to the plants compared to Mars300
4 Reflector series with IR diodes,IR promote cell division,helps germination,leaf building and flowering,which Mars 300 not have.
I recommend you go with Reflector series,your plants will like it.:high-five:

What about the MarsII vs the 2 Reflector 48s?

I would basically advise not to get the 300's, they're just so much behind the reflector/mars II series in every aspect but price. And they won't cover 2'x2' -it's a rectangular panel and will never cover the same y as x axis, probably more like 25''x15''.

It is generally advised to have several smaller panels opposed to one big, then you still have light if one breaks, can have different hanging distances for plants of different height, get better coverage and it's easier to adapt to new grow spaces.
However, coverage is not a problem in a small tent and several small panels are hard to hang in a small area(get extra poles for the tent if possible)

The 400 would work, but since it covers 2'x2' the buds at the edges will suffer.

If it's not gonna blow your budget, I think you should go with the 700, it just makes the most sense for that space if you want good coverage and proper light saturation.

2x reflector 48 will work, but not optimal in a quadratic space, I recently flowered one big plant in a 3'4''x3'4'' tent under two 48's and one ufo 80w(draw), and it was full of rock hard frosty buds.

3x reflector 48 is certainly enough especially if you only do 3 plants or rotate 4 plants, but then it's cheaper to get the 700 and you get an even coverage. and more w/$.
Also keep in mind that only a bit more money than what you pay for 3x reflector 48 would get you 2x reflector 96.

Whatever you decide I wish you frosty nugs ;)

This is my tent with both the 48's, 300 and ufo - it took 15 easy rolls, but then I can adjust the height and angle on all the panels :)

WP_20161112_23_02_00_Pro.jpg

:goodjob:yeah,multiple lights easier for you to adjust to a better condition.
I would basically advise not to get the 300's, they're just so much behind the reflector/mars II series in every aspect but price. And they won't cover 2'x2' -it's a rectangular panel and will never cover the same y as x axis, probably more like 25''x15''.

It is generally advised to have several smaller panels opposed to one big, then you still have light if one breaks, can have different hanging distances for plants of different height, get better coverage and it's easier to adapt to new grow spaces.
However, coverage is not a problem in a small tent and several small panels are hard to hang in a small area(get extra poles for the tent if possible)

The 400 would work, but since it covers 2'x2' the buds at the edges will suffer.

If it's not gonna blow your budget, I think you should go with the 700, it just makes the most sense for that space if you want good coverage and proper light saturation.

2x reflector 48 will work, but not optimal in a quadratic space, I recently flowered one big plant in a 3'4''x3'4'' tent under two 48's and one ufo 80w(draw), and it was full of rock hard frosty buds.

3x reflector 48 is certainly enough especially if you only do 3 plants or rotate 4 plants, but then it's cheaper to get the 700 and you get an even coverage. and more w/$.
Also keep in mind that only a bit more money than what you pay for 3x reflector 48 would get you 2x reflector 96.

Whatever you decide I wish you frosty nugs ;)

This is my tent with both the 48's, 300 and ufo - it took 15 easy rolls, but then I can adjust the height and angle on all the panels :)

WP_20161112_23_02_00_Pro.jpg

I just went ahead and ordered the Mars II 700. A few extra watts, and coverage is a perfect fit. I think I'll be happy with it. Thanks everybody for the input

Hi GostQueries,sorry,i missed your previous question:
Both lights have their advantages:
1 The design is different:Mars II uses glass cover ,which will reduce some light. However, Reflector uses reflection board ,which will reflect maximum light back to the plants compared to MarsII
2 Intensity is different: The gap is wider on Reflector than MarsII. So Reflector will cover more area but MarsII will have stronger intensity on average area.
I just went ahead and ordered the Mars II 700. A few extra watts, and coverage is a perfect fit. I think I'll be happy with it. Thanks everybody for the input

I'm sure you'll be happy:high-five: the extra intensity over the reflectors is gold in a small area where it's hard to train your plants wider to expose shaded bud sites.

If you feel like it, start a grow jouanal: Grow Journals and share your grow and get help from some of the best growers in the world.

I have the same tent and was using a 400w hps lighting system with fair yields off 2-3 plants at a time. I acquired 2 mars hydro 144 reflectors (Mars II 700) as I wanted to go over 600 actual watts (200 more than in my past grows). I purchased these LEDs after much research. I've not been disappointed to this point. I am currently in a 48 day grow with these and it is my first with LEDs.

I can tell you imho they are decently quiet, both units at once , full bore usage, don't seem to kick out as much heat as the 400w hps (technically impossible i know, but I did say seem). Fits nicely into the tent with room in between the two units for proper air flo fan cooling.

And I know you are anxious to get your LED fixture and I can also let you know mine came rather quickly to central Canada.

Good luck

I couldn't decide between the reflectors and the 2 series- once I get everything set up I'll just go ahead and purchase a Reflector. I wonder if getting one of each would be less beneficial than 2 of the same model. Do you have a picture of your set up? Would love to get an idea of the layout

Back
Top Bottom