Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: How many hours of light do I need for veg growth?

Re: How many hours of light do I need for veg growth?

Its the height of the plant cuz it going be 2 to 3 times taller! The taller it is when you switch to 12/12 the taller its going to be!

Thank You for the time to let me know......there is a ton of info out there butt nothin like askin' someone who is already growin. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weto505 View Post
    This is my first grow and I'm not sure when to switch to 12/12. Is it by height of the plant or it's age, my plants are 8 wks and about 1' tall.
    I'm currently 3 weeks from harvest on my 2nd grow. Both my 1st and 2nd grow I vegged w/a light cycle of 24 hours/day, then after 9 weeks of my 1st grow and after 5 weeks of my 2nd grow I switched to 12/12. After flowering for 5 weeks, switch to 14/10 to finish out the grow. At 14 hours dark, 10 hours of light your plants will produce more trichomes, get real frosty looking, more tris, better quality imo...works for me. I grow aero-hydro and that also really gets me some sticky grade A bud, good luck...

Also you don't start counting the days of flowering until you see pistils btw, not when you switch to 12/12. The plant takes 7-10 days to start to develop pistil hairs. When you see that, that's day 1....
    There are many paths to redemption, not all of them peaceful....

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...bian-gold.html

Faderharley, All the growers I know count from the flip, and I know a lot of growers outside of the internet community. Also be very carfull under 14/10 or extending the day period longer then 12 hours of light and less then 12 hours of dark in flower period. Some Haze and very sativa varieties will actually revert to veg. I've talked to people who flower their haze plants under 11.5/12.5 or even 11/13 because they just wont flower under 12/12. Other strains like G-13 can actually be flowered under 14/10 through the duration of this stage of growth, thats why G-13 is great for northern states.
    Smoke buds with your buds
    -Me

"Its better to have known puff and to have lost it than to have never puffed at all"
    -Buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by Brett2theMax View Post
    Faderharley, All the growers I know count from the flip, and I know a lot of growers outside of the internet community. Also be very carfull under 14/10 or extending the day period longer then 12 hours of light and less then 12 hours of dark in flower period. Some Haze and very sativa varieties will actually revert to veg. I've talked to people who flower their haze plants under 11.5/12.5 or even 11/13 because they just wont flower under 12/12. Other strains like G-13 can actually be flowered under 14/10 through the duration of this stage of growth, thats why G-13 is great for northern states.
    Sorry, perhaps I didnot state that correctly.. I switched to 14 hours w/o lights and 10 hours w/lights, longer dark period, shorter light period. I'm currently getting close to harvest. I start out w/12/12 until I see pistils, which is imho day 1 of flowering. Thats when I put my gals into a longer dark period to enhance grow. I also move all my CFLs each day to further enhance fatter and more potent bud....During vegetation stage I run my CFLs 24/7....

In the book Marijuana grow basics (by Jorge Cervantes) it says that "Seedlings that receive 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness tend to grow more female plants."

I thought that was pretty interesting so I thought I would share it here. I have decided to try this for myself and see how many females I get. I believe I am going to start off with 12 seedlings and see how many become females out of those. I will report my results once they have all been switched to 12/12 (it may be a while as I have yet to complete my grow setup).
    "If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky"

- Siddhartha Gautama

Yeah I was real high when I read that I think faderharley, most people label the diurnals with the light period first / dark period second. So 14/10 confused me. I've heard of people extending the dark period before, I hear it slows down growth to shorten the day. I've been wanting to try a 16/12 light/dark cycle for a grow, I've heard of this being done for flower and since the cannabis plant can photosynthesize for 16 hours with out the rate of photosynthesis diminishing it should produce stronger results in flower. I just gotta buy digital timers.

Leary I've read that book before and its pretty awesome. Although when I read it I noticed he would just say that the optimal conditions produced more females with no real explanation just that it did. Its a great book don't get me wrong, but some of the facts in there I feel could be just to convince people to grow a certain way. The next 10 years are really going to rocket forward in the study's and writings of cannabis since so many people are living in compassionate states now, research can finally be done in a professional scientific environment where lots of data can be collected.
    Smoke buds with your buds
    -Me

"Its better to have known puff and to have lost it than to have never puffed at all"
    -Buttercup

i have 9 plants 1 week old onder a 1000w mh light 18/6 .how long i leve them in vegetative stage . ???

Welcoming Committee - Member of the Month July 11' Captain Kronic's Avatar

Until you feel they are big enough to be put in 12/12... some strains get pretty tall though. My experience is that they are gonna double (pretty much) in size... you need to account for that in your flowering space!

This is of course very strain dependent!

Welcoming Committee - Member of the Month July 11' Captain Kronic's Avatar

I would really like to know how that turns out... I read the same thing but have yet to try any of it out... cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Leary View Post
    In the book Marijuana grow basics (by Jorge Cervantes) it says that "Seedlings that receive 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness tend to grow more female plants."

I thought that was pretty interesting so I thought I would share it here. I have decided to try this for myself and see how many females I get. I believe I am going to start off with 12 seedlings and see how many become females out of those. I will report my results once they have all been switched to 12/12 (it may be a while as I have yet to complete my grow setup).

Quote Originally Posted by puzzu View Post
    i have 9 plants 1 week old onder a 1000w mh light 18/6 .how long i leve them in vegetative stage . ???
    Once again depending on the strain, but my 1st grow I had vegged for 9 weeks.... 2nd and 3rd grow 5 weeks. Once you switch to flowering or 12/12 light scedule, the plant will continue to stretch and grow for a few more weeks or until the colas really start to fatten up..... light schedule I use:

24/7 on vegging
    flowering: 12/12 for 2 weeks or until I see pistil hairs, then I switch to a 10/14 light schedule for 10 days or up to 2 weeks as the flowers start showing.... apparently going dark for 14 hours per day creates more flowers.... then I go back to 12/12 for 3-4 weeks, then 10-14 days before the cut, I switch to 8/16 light schedule, this enhances bud maturity, ripening, additional trichome or resin production.... 2 days b4 the cut I go 48 hours of darkness to increase even more resin, it works for me....

I have a small plant in a cup in my room. Im new to this and dont see it producing any product. But its pretty cool. Id rather grow pot in science class than peas lmao. If anyone has any advice id appreciate it :D

I have been trying the "gas Lantern routine" this grow and have found it really superior to 18/6 or even 24/7.

A good read if you're interested.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/bl...cannabis-1719/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy2na View Post
    I have been trying the "gas Lantern routine" this grow and have found it really superior to 18/6 or even 24/7.

A good read if you're interested.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/bl...cannabis-1719/
    Twelve let me know about GSR. I'm absolutely intrigued, but I'm a scared little girl. How's it working out for you so far, Spicy? Anyone else using GSR?

It's no doubt! Along with the diminishing light schedule, it looks like my girls are in a hurry to make love to my lungs!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast