Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Super-Thrive: Is It Snake Oil?

420 Member

Re: Super-Thrive: Is It Snake Oil?

I use superthrive weekly with all my grows.Never had a problem and always have good results.

Blog Entries

The point is, if you use the products improperly, you can screw up all kinds of shit. It it used for specific applications at specific times and with the specific acid.

Super-Thrive, if used correctly ar Roor pointed out, works great. Use it at the wrong time, and you never know what can happen. These acids are known to do certain things, that's why we use them, but they remain very complex little beings :-)

Oh, lol, I am with you on this one RF :0D

Exactly. There is a proper application for everything.

You wouldn't use pH up or down if your pH is fine, as doing so would mess it all up. Pay attention to what you are doing and use common sense.

On numerous occasions I have used more then just a drop of Super-Thrive with no ill effects. I am not advising that you exceed the recommended dosage, but this does support the notion that it is very difficult to damage a plant with this substance.

In all likelyhood, it was not the Super-Thrive that was the cause of the hermies mentioned. Light leaks or erratic lighting schedules are probably the leading cause of plants turning herm. and it is much more likely this was the cause.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Re: Super-Thrive: Is It Snake Oil?

Hey i wanted to thank everybody for these post, I thought about trying it before i started to hear people talk about it, but i'm going to try it on my seedlings i have in rockwool cubes, they have already germinated but hasnt popped its head out of the cube yet i germinated them before i stuck them in the cubes, but im new to hydroponics and i want to try my new system out but dont have anything with enough roots to stick in the hydroponic system yet, they have been in the cubes since the 5th of november, im so anxious that i have opened some of the cubes to see if they are doing their thing inside, and i see the tap root getting longer, im just used to soil but want to move on to hydroponics, so Long Story short because of what ive read here im going to get some ST tomorrow and try it on my seedlings thank everybody

Glad you joined, but please stop opening up your rooting babies!

Whatever it is, it seems like it works and you know what, it is expensive, but you know what, my pH down and nutes are expensive but they won't last near as long as this stuff will. I dropped $35 for a 480 mL/1 pint bottle. It's also got 8,000 drops in it, that's enough for 8,000 gallons. My nutes and pH down won't last through 800 gallon so really, it's not that expensive....

I read a review on some site that a lady wrote saying her xmas tree was losing it's needles and she happened to have some superthrive, she droped 2 drops in and a week later when they took the xmas tree down it was starting to grow roots.... Now I find that to be amazing..
    When you take from those who will and give to those who won't, a democracy will cease to exist. When half of the people get the idea that they don't have to work b/c the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work b/c somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

420 Member

if you really want to see the difference that it makes try doing a control your self. get 2 cutting and water one with water and onewith ST. i have jut trie this with my last 2 plants and there was a major difference between the 2. now this could just be chance that is turned out lke this but it ws given to me by a mate who swears by it. he told me about once injecting concentrate ST into the stem of a plant. it went all limp and looked like it was going to die. but after 2 weeks the plants shot off and was grew over a foot in a week. one thing i was told was that once your plants start budding dont give them any more ST as the plants dont bud right and them will form tiny buds every few CM and not come to anything. so a plus to the ST from me.

420 Member
    Blog Entries

university agricultural extension offices nation wide have paper and articles on superthrive and IBA and gibberelins and trace mineral supplemwents consistant in all of these is the fact that very tiny amounts one drop ina gallon or one drop in 5 or 10 gallons
    have a big effect

the most frequent problem i see on boards seems to be overuse of nutes and chemical catalysts this upsets the balance of your plant in its media[ soil or hydro] and the cation exchange rates way down at the celluar level

i do poor mans super thrive by taking B vitamins and using the bright color pee from the next 24 hours to make a very dilute
    high N fert with soluble B vitamin in it

all you grossed out folks should go and read the label on your fertilizer bottles that urea nitrogen source is something's pee

you can learn alot about growing better pot by reading up on organic gardening and checking out "mother earth news"
    rodale press out of pennsylvania has lots of good stuff out there

most of those snake oils are extracts of some catalytic thing like a hormone gibberelic acid auxins vitamins trace minerals and so on but it is real easy to use too much of any of these

Talking Re: Super-Thrive: Is It Snake Oil?

For those you have or have not use it, I say to you the following:
    Have used it for more than 20 years and all of my plants have been much healthier and fuller and many of them produced more flowers than before use. Also, with my orchids, it has been a tremendous boost for them. I have some cymbidium orchids, which are regular size plants, that have produced 7 spikes! This is exceptional for plant size. The notation of "1 drop per gallon" simple doesn't do much for the plants. I used a "cap full" per 5 gallon bucket!!! Used it for six months, and you will see the difference.

420 Member

I'm also new here, but have been using ST for over 25 years, also on orchids. No Cyms though, too hot where I come from. Think terete Vandas.

ST is not snake oil and neither is it a miracle worker. It helps, but don't over do it, just like anything.

The hardest thing to learn is how not to kill your plants with kindness.

Too much water, too much nutes, too much touching/playing with the plants.

Add a bit of ST early on, and let them go.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by John D'oh! View Post
    Exactly what is the deal with this stuff? I've seen people swear by it, and I've seen people say it's horticultural snake oil.

The labeling is very vague about what it is and is supposed to do, which makes me dubious of its' claims.

What do you think?
    Absolutely not snake oil. I have grown orchids for many years and once I added SuperThrive to my watering/fertilizing regimen my plants took off. Locally, here on eastern LI, I became sort of a guru for growning finnicky, difficult, high-altitude plants from New Guinea, Samoa, and SE Asia.

I used it for 10 years raising very small orchids when they come out of the bottles where seed was sown... It's also great for transplant shock thus the B12 in it.

I used superthrive on my 9,000 orchids, we use to have 3 greenhouses and a nursery on our property. The difference in the amount of roots doubled from using it.

Nug of the Month Winner and 2nd Place Plant of the Month Winner (Jan 10') Irish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNitro View Post
    It's worked well for me,Don't use It In the flowering cycle It will make your buds leafy,Non compact,Or loose If you prefer.
    I don't know how true that is. I use Super Thrive every time I water and nute, all the way to the end, and it neither makes the buds leafy or loose--nugs here are super dense, and if you threw one and hit someone in the head, it'd probably knock 'em out.... And if you check out my grow journal, you'll see how HUGE my plants get.
    "Your professor was right. At the precipice, we change." --Klaatu

First rule of harvest: "No bud pluckt before its time."

Disinformation Tactics and the 8 Traits of a Disinformationalist

Blog Entries

POTential: yay u agree with someone, u want him to give u a cookie or what??? u people are attention whores lol, i know this stuff works i have compared side by side it grows stocks thicker producing more rapid growth. People deny these claims but its like tellin me its snowing in july in florida. Try the stuff then deny the stuff but dont think u know about something you dont!
    Last edited by 420boogie; 03-31-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: to show whom the statement was addressed to
    I cant believe something so beautiful could be prohibitted, scensored, even slandered by the average middle class citizen, in a society that will cram mcdonald's down their throat. Thats an ugly sight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast