Botanical's Thai Super Skunk/ L.A. Woman From Germination on - 2010

Botanical

This is my 2nd indoor bubble bucket/Deep Water Culture (DWC) hydroponic grow. My 1st grow was a G-13 Labs Thai Super Skunk. It showed signs of PRE-flowering at 7 weeks. It was a GREAT success cut short due to the fact that I am not into dudes and that lady had BALLS one week into the 12hr light/12hr dark schedule. I am now attempting another G-13 Labs Thai Super Skunk (TSS)(Indica/Sativa mostly Sativa F-1 Hybrid) and a U.F.O. #1 DNA Genetics L.A. Woman Feminized (LAW)(Mostly Indica mix of the Original L.A. and Martian Mean Green) strain in a hydroponic in-door DWC grow. Both with bubble buckets (DWC) and I figured I'd keep a journal to be able to look back on my successes and adaptations. I am SURE most of this stuff is going to be boring to you veterans but I notice a lot of little information for the new guy is unspoken rule to the vet and I want to fully describe those little things that made a BIG difference to me. I hope it helps the nubees become successful growers and truly brings them to love the hobby. So, here it goes.........

My Grow Cabinet Setup: My actual closet is 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide so I made a cabinet 7' by 2' by 2'. The internal grow cabinet floor is 6 in. from the closet floor for airflow (however little) around the entire cabinet. The interior is approx. 6'6" tall, 2' wide by 2' deep (that's 26 cubic feet right?). Mounted to the internal ceiling of the cabinet, I have a squirrel cage style exhaust fan that completely replaces all air in the cabinet 3 times per minute when turned on. I cut a hole 1' by 8" rectangle in the door for filtered air intake. This hole is externally covered by an everyday A/C filter (12x24x1) & is held on by supports that keep out light but not air. This hole is also shielded internally by a case of root beer box shaped appropriately to eliminate light & also CONTROL airflow direction to my desire. I covered the entire interior with Mylar (don't remember the thickness) including the walls, floor, and ceiling as well as the buckets (the black bucket lid actually increases cabinet temp. by a few degrees when the light bulb is close to it). I used a lot of double-sided carpet tape to keep the Mylar on the walls and aluminum tape to finish the corners. I also used the one-sided sticky foam strips for sealing the door. This cabinet is going to need to withstand some heat so the aluminum tape does better than duct tape and staples any day. The exhaust fan and ballast are installed on the ceiling giving me a total of approx. 6 feet of growing space. Now, I am using 5 gallon buckets so this really only gives me about 4½-5 feet of real plant space. This means I will have to TOP the plant as early as allowed if I want to avoid heat stress or light bulb burns towards harvest time. I've seen pictures of at least 9 plants in this size area so 2 plants should be noooooo worries. I've got the lumens, the space, the airflow, and the temperature (due to airflow) so I'm set. I plug all things into the power strip fastened to the interior so this means I will have to BLACK OUT THE LIGHTED POWER SWITCH on the power strip and "Timer On" indicator lights if I want 100% darkness during the 12hr light/ 12hr dark schedule. I also have an OZONE generator installed on the exterior of my cabinet for any odors & it also keeps the clothes in my closet smelling fresh. I had to make a hole in the drywall ceiling of my closet to accommodate the exhaust but it will be an easy fix if I ever move. I put a dryer exhaust vent up in the attic to keep the pests out when the fan is off.

My Light Setup: I have 250-watt ballast with a lumen booster switch (I thought that was pretty neat) and a 250-watt Metal Halide bulb for the Vegetation stage and a 250-watt High Pressure Sodium bulb for the flowering stage. I bought the light shield, the socket, and the ballast separately. The ballast was by far the most expensive but it sure is pretty & is mounted to the internal cabinet ceiling. I have two chains hooked into the light shield from hooks in the ceiling for double security and less movement during airflow, which means less fire hazards. Safety first!!! I suppose I could even set the light up to a full vertical position if I move the plants to one side just to get full coverage during heavy vegetation. Might be risky. I also have two timers. Both timers have the 15 minute increments so I can turn the fan on and off to allow some heat to build up and once I get the CO2 mix in the room, timers will give it a chance to sink in not to mention a plant can withstand higher temperatures when exposed to higher CO2 levels so I'm told. The other timer is for a strict 12hr on/ 12 hr off light schedule for when the flowers start to show their faces.
My Bucket Setup: I got two 5 gallon buckets, one from the local hydro shop & the other from the local hardware. It's cool 'cause the hydro bucket lid already has a sturdy net pot built in. For this black bucket I bought a small elbow pipe and threaded piece so I can fasten the two together on either side of the bucket wall through a hole near the bottom. I then clamped a tube onto the exterior elbow so I can check water level and even add more solution without disturbing the roots. This will only help until I have to completely change out the nutrient solution of course. I will buy additional buckets from the local hardware so I can make my plant a cocktail without it having to hang in the open air for too long (this may or may not have an effect). So, I will just make the nutrient mix and adjust the PH in the tub then just go straight to the cabinet and switch buckets. After the plant gets too tall, I will eventually have to do the switch outside of the cabinet to avoid lifting the plant into the light bulb — ouch (been there, the plant didn't like it). I got an air pump that can handle two pots and hooked up air stones to introduce the oxygen to the water/roots (They love that). I got the clay pebbles because they are PH neutral and once wet, can hold the plant, keep out light, and it works until the roots can do it on their own. I have to soak the pebbles to get them ready for the plant and so the water in the clay pebbles is the same in the Rockwool and in the bucket. This keeps shock chances down to a minimum I believe and gives me a chance to keep the clay dust from coating my air stone and bucket once installed. Just keeps it clean ya know...... Don't forget to keep the light out of the bucket with tape or whatever, otherwise green stuff will grow inside the bucket and kill your roots/plant.
THE PROCESS
Day 1 — April 14th
I have tried to germinate seeds in the warm Rockwool or spun stone cubes in different ways and it is more frustrating than helpful. I have had the most success with just taking 3 sheets of paper towel and folding them down to about an index card size, soaking it with boiled (not boiling) water, then squeezing it out real well, then putting the seeds in the middle fold and putting it in a Ziploc bag. I just put it on my T.V. and make sure I turn the T.V. on twice a day to keep it warm and just FORGET ABOUT IT FOR TWO DAYS. There is just something with that combination that never fails me. I have tried the distilled water and root growth hormone and all that junk and all I do is end up checking it every 6 hours to find myself frustrated and wasting seeds after a week or two. I get results this "paper towel" way in two days. At least something, not always ready for transplant but something.

Day 2 —
24 hours after the fact. Seeds have popped open but nothing growing outside the seed shell just yet.
Day 3 — 48 hours after the fact
O.K good growth outside the shell for the TSS. About ¼ inch already but it is growing into the paper towel so I pulled the towel up gently. I DID NOT pull the seed out from the towel. I placed the seedling into a small Tupperware type container with some of those gel beads that absorb water. Pretty cool actually. The seedling root can absorb water just being next to the beads and they are kind of slimy offering zero resistance to root growth. My last TSS grow rooted into a few beads and I stripped the beads off then stuffed the roots into the Rockwool cube quite aggressively. I even broke the root. I am not sure if this may have been the cause of it being male but it survived quite well.
O.K. Good growth for the LAW. Only about 1/8 inch but the seed is popped anyway and there is enough root to put in another bead container. I boiled the water and sterilized the beads prior to putting the seedlings in them but made sure the beads got down to room temperature first. Now I will let the seedlings get settled in for a day before I introduce the CFL light. I am told the HID lights are too much for the seedlings at first so I will leave the CFL light to it until I can count 4 or even 6 leaves (including the first little rounded ones.) After those leaves show, I will transplant to the Rockwool cubes but this time I will cut the cube open on one side like a book so I don't have to STUFF the roots in. The Rockwool will be the final transplant and I will make sure everything is the same temperature.

Day-4 The TSS is showing vigorous growth by opening it's first two rounded leaves in turn attempting to shed the seed shell (I carefully removed the shell with tweezers) as well as exposing the first jagged leaves. It is also showing signs of response to light positioning known as phototropism. When I first put the seedlings in the gel beads, it was put on top of a heating blanket set to low. I now have the seedlings in the gel beads but set up under a single CFL. The TSS is still growing strong, showing green-ness and a little purple on the stem.

The LAW is a little slow to shed the shell so I also carefully removed the shell with tweezers. The internal coating is still on the first two rounded leaves and those have yet to separate and open but there is some purple on the stem. I keep the beads wet with water that has sat for at least three days. Though the seedlings don't really need this because they are actually growing roots deep enough to collect the water at the bottom of the shallow container already. The slow growth of the LAW seedling may be due to the cooler temperature experienced in the beads and if the heat from the CFL does not help enough for me to see growth tomorrow, I will probably place the containers back on the heating pad while under the lamp just to keep it kosher. Pics of the new growth I will post in my photos tomorrow. I am hella busy with an English assignment at the moment. Hope your not bored yet!!!

Day 4 photos. Just so you know, I put the two containers on a heating pat as well as under the CFL bulb. These photos are before I took this action.

100_4405.JPG

Day 5- Last night I put the containers on a heating pad set on low to keep the medium warm. I was hoping to keep the seedlings from being stunted or killed from the cold water. I also very very gently removed the shells on both seedlings yesterday so the leaves could open. It is the end of day 5 and they are showing no signs of shock. Root growth as you can see in my photo gallery is quite vigorous. I got the final grow medium and grow room ready for the final transplant today. I will be using the five gallon bubble buckets I described earlier with the clay pebbles and a Rockwool cube. I have placed the seedlings VERY gently into the cubes by splitting the cubes like a book so I was able to simply close the cube around the roots. I decided to leave the lights off for the night as I am told after a transplant, any change in nutrients or lighting will cause more damage than good because the plant cannot process the goods. I am hopeful to power up the HID Metal Halide light in the morning and keep the ballast on normal lumens vs. switching on the internal lumen booster. Sweet Dreams Neverland!!!

Day 6- Making this entry on day 7 due to the website becoming more Kickass on 4:20 a.m. on the 4/20 date. Lovin it. Anyhow, I have placed the seedlings into the Rockwool cubes like I said in the prior post. I prepared the bubble buckets by adding the nutrients to 4 gallons of water in the 5 gallon buckets. I only added 50% or 1/2 of the full recommended dose. It was 1/4 teaspoon, per gallon, of each nute including Micro, Gro, and Bloom by GenHydro. So that would be 1 full teaspoon of each nute per bucket. So I put in 1/2 teaspoon per nute, per bucket. Easy math right? I will stick with this mix until they start to show some yellowing indicating some lack of something even after a fresh mix.

Day 7- Showing slow but intense growth. By this I mean they are quite green and looking like they enjoy their environment. I am considering introducing the CO2 idea soon. Just taking the live yeast and sugar/bakingsoda idea. I will explain more of this when it takes place.

100_44281.JPG

100_44322.JPG

100_44391.JPG

I just read the nutrients forum. I might be acting prematurely with the nutes and so I hope there is no damage done. I will be following the following nute schedule from now on. :

WEEKLY FEEDING SCHEDULE:
Week 1 (rooted clones or 3 leaf-sets on seedlings) : 2.5 ml EACH Grow, Micro & Bloom
Week 2: 5ml Grow + 2.5ml Micro + 2.5ml Bloom
Week 3: 10ml Grow + 5ml Micro + 3ml Bloom
Week 4 until 12/12 : 12ml Grow + 6ml Micro + 3ml Bloom
Week 1 of 12/12 : 6ml Grow + 6mil Micro+10ml Bloom
Week 2 of 12/12: 3ml Grow + 7ml Miccro + 12ml Bloom
Week 3: 3ml Grow + 8ml Micro + 14ml Bloom
Week 4: 3ml Grow + 8ml Micro + 16ml Bloom
Week 5: 2..5 Grow + 7ml Micro + 18ml Bloom
Week 6: NO GROW + 6ml Micro + 20ml Bloom USE UNTIL FLUSH!
Flush 10-14 days before harvesting

Still Day 8- I turned the lights out, fan off, and bubbles off from about 9 a.m. till about 3 p.m. For about 6 hours. I did this because I have read the roots grow in darkness and if I was going to give the plants a break from the HID and Nutes that it should be while they are young. Upon turning lights back on, I found the TSS had actually further grown two additional leaves (now showing 6 including initial round ones) and thus became top heavy and began to lean to one side. I gave the stem a couple gentle nudges and left it at that. Upon viewing again this evening at approx. 10 p.m. it was still leaning and so I sterilized a piece of wire and made a support for the little lady, gave it a few gentle nudges to keep the stem strong and will leave it at that.

The LAW has shown very little upward growth. The stem is pointing straight up and has only 4 leaves (including 2 initial round ones). From now on in this journal I will call any PAIR of leaves a "Node Region". If it is scientifically called something else and I am mistaken, I will correct myself later. For now it is late and I am bushed. Laterz...

Day 9-
O.K. The TSS is a trooper for sure. I am a tad bit peeved but only because after reading these forums, I know it is my own fault these plants are not growing optimally. I understand the growth is not supposed to be THAT much but still, I know when they grow an millimeter. Anyhow, TSS is a trooper because even though I introduced the HID light and the nutes VERY early for a seedling, the TSS still produces leaves.

The LAW however is not showing any signs of nute burn or heat stress or any problems really but is not showing any upward growth or new leaves.

I decided to dump out a gallon of the nute mixed water out of each of the 5 gallon buckets which were filled with 4 1/2 gallons of water. I then replaced that gallon with a fresh gallon of filtered water that goes through a carbon block, then is exposed to ultraviolet light eliminating any bacteria. The PH of this water is also 7.0. This should not only dilute the nute mix which was at 50%, but also bring the PH up from 5.8. I also turned off the HID bulb and clamped one of my household CFL's close enough to the plants that they will get the light. With the amount of Mylar in the cabinet, I am hoping the plants receive light from all angles and helps the fact there is only one bulb in the cabinet. Low light-Diluted nutes-Reletively PH neutral water-I still have the bubbles going and the air flow set to 15 minutes every hour to keep the CO2 in the atmosphere going. I can't think of anything else that would make it a better environment for these ladies right now besides introducing a higher CO2 level in the cabinet. Anyhow, I will let these chicks chill out for about a week I guess. Seedlings shouldn't be fed or under HID for about 2 weeks I am reading. I think I actually followed that rule by default on my last grow because I hadn't built the cabinet yet.

100_44431.JPG

100_4446.JPG

100_44471.JPG

Day 16-
I have turned on the HID again and made up a bottle of that yeast/sugar/baking soda mix in a 1.5 liter bottle with the modified lid and tube to direct the CO2 to my liking. They looked like they were getting heat stress a little and so I put the fan on for 24/7 and so the CO2 isn't really going to do much now. It's cool though, when they get bigger I will try that CO2 again. For now just gonna sit back and let them grow with the nutes they have until they start to yellow.
The TSS is now growing leaf formations of 6. More pics to come. The LAW is growing quite slowly.

I apologize for the abandoned photos. But just for closure, I only got about 12 inches of L.A. Woman. It was as if it was a dwarf plant. Small but VERY effective. Covered in crystals and had a citrus type aroma. The Thai super Skunk was a handful. I ended up trying the SCROG method and may have not waited long enough for the right signs but she still grew to a full 7 FEET! This was quite difficult to keep from getting burned by the HID. I had to rearrange my cabinet many times and it still burned her. I believe this effected the overall harvest as it was plentiful yet thin. Still a very effective breed. It took me all of a day to harvest her alone and I still had much to do. I don't have any photos unfortunately I was renting at the moment and the next time I will have my own place. Until next time!

Back
Top Bottom