10,000 Pot Smokers.. Eh?

Pinch

Toronto, CA
Sun, May 7, 2006

This grass has weed Advocates of legalizing pot hold eighth annual march

There were no smoke-free zones at Queen's Park yesterday as unidentified puffers filled the air with clouds of marijuana smoke. A uniformed police presence at the rally caused giggles and smirks as officers made their way through the smoking crowd.

Thousands of pot smokers converged on Queen's Park yesterday where they sparked up joints of "skunk weed" with the slogan of Stinking it to the Man.

The day-long eighth annual Toronto Global Marijuana March included goths, hippies and others on the fringe of society as well as university students.

Booths with cookies and assorted baked goods, pizza and hamburgers and hot dogs were on hand.

There was even a corn-on-the-cob vendor.

"The organizers of the event asked me to come. I didn't know people who smoke pot liked corn, but sales are good," said Sam Raffoul from Ontario Corn Roasters.

Among the retailers on hand were some selling pot-smoking paraphernalia.

CALM -- Cannabis As Living Medicine -- was on hand to gather support for the legalization of pot.

"We want to educate the community about standardized issues and taxation of legal marijuana. There are one million people in Canada with fatal, debilitating illnesses who don't have access to medical marijuana," said Alyssa Wartzman, with CALM.

"This is important for those -- such as HIV or MS patients -- who can't use traditional medical treatments."

Nick Tigomenico, came to the rally to show his support for legalizing pot.

"I'm here because of my love of marijuana. Ideally I'd like it to become legal, but I doubt that will happen. I'd be happy with decriminalization. That's not as far fetched," Tigomenico said, confidently smoking a joint at the event.

"I'm not worried. They (police) can't arrest 10,000 people."

There was a uniformed police presence at the rally which caused giggles and smirks as officers made their way through the smoking crowd.

"We are here for event managing," said Toronto police Sgt. Dave Hogan. "We are observing and keeping the peace and hope it will be a pleasant event. We don't want a mass riot."

Source: Toronto Sun
Copyright: Copyright 2006 Toronto Sun
Author: Kevin Connor
Web address: (no title)

Re: !0,000 Pot Smokers.. Eh?

I wonder if police made any arrests at this event

i wish i cold be a canadian!

Edit: fuck, at an event this big i bet the cops were blazed, and probably blazing!

dankcloset said:
Edit: fuck, at an event this big i bet the cops were blazed, and probably blazing!

yeah it seems like they were only there to make sure no riots broke out and with 10,000 people im sure they didnt even bother to go out and harass people....

in the states on the other hand, the cops would of arrested all 10,000 of them and crammed them all into one cell. I hate the U.S

Nope no arrests were made. I drove by and checked it out though could not partake in the festivities as I was in full uniform and thats all I needed was for a pic of me in full uniform blazing a fat spliff in the newspaper. Though it looked like quite an event. Oh well maybe next year.

Back
Top Bottom