1st Beginner Light question

Erk202

OK, 1st im new (HELLO) ;]

2nd, Im going to start from the jump. ATM my seed is still in the paper towel stage. (I did this stage b4, dont worry).

and im going to a indoor growth (1 plant for starters, so i can learn step by step for next growth), in my closet. Due to space limitation. As of right now, im trying to get my light supplys together before my seed comes to life. (18 more hours to go)

Money is also a problem but (NOT FOR LONG).

What i have now to start off with is, 2 18"inch 457mm 15watts Reptile Florescent UVB/UVA 10.0 Bulbs with calcium & Vitamin D3 in them. From when i had my iguana...I miss him :[.

OFF TOPIC (sorry):
From what i learned about reptiles, Flourescent bulbs with uvb/uva helps them eat more and keeps thier skin healthy and it resembles the sun.

But what i wanted to know, can i use those to start off with (if yes, how long?) (if no, would these work below):

046135297861md.jpg

Sylvania at Lowe's: 40-Watt Mini Twist Compact Fluorescents Bulbs (CFL)
link to site^

I dont know what watt and the details about this bulb is, but its a regular CFL. And if this is more recommended what watt should I get for 1 plant ?

Also, when should i start my 18/6 day/night light schedule, after it shows its leaves or while its in the soil ?

Thanks, if i left anything esle out, plz give me tips, Thanks much apreciated.

PS- OFF TOPIC LIGHT QUESTION:
I saw 1 person on here who grew his nice big bushy plant straight from bagedseeds with soil straight from his backyard, could i do the same, cuz soil i dont have, unless i go get some outside. And i can go buy some Nuts later when money comes.

:cool:

I wouls stay away from the reptile light. The cfl light you have pictured will work for veg. You want the cool blue color 6000-6500K in color. The more the better.

You really should try to make some sort of soil mix from 1/3 sphagnum peet moss, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 vermiculite. Using dirt from outside leaves you open to all sorts of nasty parasites that you're not going to want to deal with. You're going to want to get some nutes soon. You should start feeding in 2 weeks.

You can start off with 18/6 now and switch to 12/12 after couple of weeks. This is really your choice. Depends on how big of a plant you can manage.

I would do more than one seed if its not feminized since it may be a male and you could be wasting your time.

ok these k's and stuff are confusing me and cool blue ? so the bulb is gonna be blue ?
what watts? is all i need to know. I already know what to look for in how much light it shoots out which would show more watts on the box itself, but yea i know what to look for but the 1600k's and stuff u through me off there.

I read that, i should go with soft-white or warm-white with atleast 27watts.

another thing, atm im going to have to take a risk for the outdoor soil.

And i guess i will start out with 18/6 and once it starts to show its leaves, ill change to 12/12.

Also last thing, im not looking for my plant to be that tall, cuz of limited space i have in my closet. This other guy on here had a small plant and still had buds on them, with outdoor soil.

with soil straight from his backyard
Like Mcbudz has advised I agree too. Using outdoor soils dug up and inserted into containers that go indoors to grow with can & will create many nasty little ( some so little you can't see 'em) pests, that will cause you to wonder why I did this. Also, start a few more seeds, one is the lonliest number, and we have to have at least one female be successful. Keep us posted please.

ok these k's and stuff are confusing me and cool blue ? so the bulb is gonna be blue ?
what watts? is all i need to know. I already know what to look for in how much light it shoots out which would show more watts on the box itself, but yea i know what to look for but the 1600k's and stuff u through me off there.

I read that, i should go with soft-white or warm-white with atleast 27watts.

another thing, atm im going to have to take a risk for the outdoor soil.

And i guess i will start out with 18/6 and once it starts to show its leaves, ill change to 12/12.

Also last thing, im not looking for my plant to be that tall, cuz of limited space i have in my closet. This other guy on here had a small plant and still had buds on them, with outdoor soil.

K is the temperature scale in Kelvin (color) of the light. 6500K is the optimal spectrum for Vegging it contains the blue spectrum. 3000K is optimal for Budding it is the red/orange spectrum. The bulbs will look like normal cfl bulbs but the light has a slightly different hue to it. Don't get the colored party bulbs. Those are different. The pictures you posted above show those to be 6000K i think and those would be fine for veg.

I would use some of each and the more bulbs / higher watts you can do the better. Say 3 of each at 100 watt equivalent (26 watts I think actual). If height is a concern go 12/12 right from seed. It will start to bud as soon as it is mature enough too.

As far as soil you can bake it in the oven first for 20 minutes to help sterilize it.

K is the temperature scale in Kelvin (color) of the light. 6500K is the optimal spectrum for Vegging it contains the blue spectrum. 3000K is optimal for Budding it is the red/orange spectrum. The bulbs will look like normal cfl bulbs but the light has a slightly different hue to it. Don't get the colored party bulbs. Those are different. The pictures you posted above show those to be 6000K i think and those would be fine for veg.

I would use some of each and the more bulbs / higher watts you can do the better. Say 3 of each at 100 watt equivalent (26 watts I think actual). If height is a concern go 12/12 right from seed. It will start to bud as soon as it is mature enough too.

As far as soil you can bake it in the oven first for 20 minutes to help sterilize it.

WOW THANKS BUDZ, you basically read my mind about the soil thing. I actually talked to a Gardner at a store/flower department, and the lady said that i can do exactly what u said but rather then bakin it in the oven (lol) i can boil the soil in a pot with hot water and drained it really good and let it dry real nice, since heat kills (ALL) bacteria.

And that would be wonderful for my 1st start anyway since i wont be using alot of soil anyway. Before it gets too big, ill be moving it to a bigger pot, but my seed hasn't popped open yet so, ill be placing it in a small enough container to get it started.

As for my setup, only place i can put it in is in my closet with my clothes..lol because im in a apartment and sometimes the apt people comes in to install various things..(only on our request tho). so this little project will be in the corner of my closet. My clothes are gonna be on the opposite side of the plant. I have a fish tank, ima sit the plant in, and ima warp the whole thing around with alumni foil, then sit the plant inside the tank.

For lighting, im going have to get asap since the flourcent tubes i have now wont work (Budz says so). Other then that, i thank you guys for the tips that you had, apreciate it, ill keep you guys updated once my seed has opened and i plant it.

Things ii have to do:

-clean out closet
-get some bulbs
-wait for another 15 hrs for seed to crack open
-and boil my soil

PS-As for 1 plant, Cherma, i might go ahead and germ. the other seed i have. but as i stated b4 im only looking to have a small growth with buds, due to space limitation, and as i seen pics on here, lol 2 plants are HUGE even 1 plant but, who knows maybe ill get lucky with 1 female, if not then i have other seeds to try out. I just wanna get my 1st setup started and i already germ. 1 seed already and i can see now its already cracked on the side a little, and its size is plumped so..... pics soon.

I would wrap your fish tank with christmas paper cause it has the white inside colour. That alum. foil will create hot spots on the little fella that you dont want, just a suggestion. good luck......PEACE.
Lets smoke on it...........................:passitleft:

P.S. thanks for the CFL link buds.

HPS for flowing. HID or cfl's or flour. for veg. will rork fine. Got the GREEN MOJO going for you man.....good luck..I'll be watching. PEACE

Hey hippie happy to see you this morning...lol

well actually im happy cuz my baby is about to sprout.

And thanks for the info, i finally got the light thing down pack now, and what ima use for my growth.

Check me out:
Erk202 - 1st Indoor Grow - Eartha

Back
Top Bottom