250W or 400W HPS?

theirishtide

Hey everyone this is my first post on 420mag but not exactly new to growing! I love this site, out of all the other forums this one is by far the best!
Anyways I had a few questions.. I was thinking of converting my walk in closet hich is about 5ft, 5 1/2ft, 8ft tall into a grow room for a 2 plant scrog(AK-48 seeds on the way)!! Was going to cover the walls with white tarp and mylar for reflectiveness(is that a word?). Unfortunately my closet does not have an AC vent inside it so the door will either remain open most of the time or I will use some ducting to pump cold air into the room.. A window is close by and it is winter also so that may be another method of geting cold fresh air in the room.
What my question is though is would a 400W get too hot for that room? I mean would drastic steps need to taken to keep it cool, even though my places temp is always kept around 65F. If so how about a 250W? Is that even enough to sustain my plants AND get good yeilds? Any information on this is greatly appreciated and I look forward to posting a journal soon! Thanks!

Hi IrishTide :welcome: to :420:

Your space is well big enough for at least a 600w light. Ventilation in your closet is going to be one of the most important things regardless of size lights you choose.

I would suggest looking in to a inline fan for exhaust. You will need one large enough to circulate the room. You will also need to think of a spot where you can cut some passive intake holes near the bottom of the cab. Being able to control some of the heat created by the lights is absolutely critical to a successful grow.

Basically you need a fan exhausting the hot air out the top of the cab and passive fresh air intakes at the bottom of the cab. The intakes prove to be problematic for a lot of people bcz the need to cut holes in the wall. If this is the case you may want to look into an artificial door (perhaps made of poly) or some sort of replacement door that you won't mind drilling into.

Hope some of that made some sense, if not respond back and I will be more then happy to answer any questions I can.

:peace:

Marley

600W seems just a little too much and not to mention a dent in my power bill and even more heat.. Im going to have two circulating fans and my light has a fan on it with some ducting to suck the hot air away from it and ill have the other end outside my door. And yeah cutting holes in the wall or door is not an option.. The door to the closet will mostly stay open but I am lining the floor, walls, and door way with white tarp and mylar so I will still be able to pump air out and will act somewhat as a door? or flap lol. Also just letting you know that I dont have a box or cabinet, its just my closet.. Tell me what you think! Also idk if this will help but im looking into a floralux MH and HPS conversion 400W kit! seem pretty legit.

Also what about a cool tube? Shouldnt that halp keep temps down? dont really understand how they work but I hear good things abut them

air cant get 'pumped out' unless there is somewhere for fresh air to come in.

better to spend $ on climate control instead of a switchable light setup. imo.

Spend on climate control? as in what? I am also still shuffling tent ideas around.. I mean the tent will basically take up my closet so i dont see the point but I can at least install intake and exhaust fans on it.. Another pickle im in is deciding wether or not to get foxfarms ocean forest soil or canna coco mix? Seen good results with coco and also with foxfarm. Let me know your opinions!

Spend on climate control? as in what?
Efficient and complete air exchange is key. controlling the temps and humidity are way more important than having both flowering and veging light spectrums.

Back
Top Bottom