A Victory For Medical Marijuana Users In Tehachapi

Robert Celt

In a move that surprised and pleased advocates of medical marijuana, the Tehachapi City Council decided Monday night to table a proposed ordinance that would prohibit medical marijuana use. Instead, the city council asked staff to look for a way to regulate the drug.

Advocates of medical marijuana turned out and tried to convince the city council to not deny them access to the drug.

Under a new state law this year, local governments are allowed to adopt an ordinance prohibiting marijuana cultivation, processing, delivery, as well as banning medical marijuana dispensaries.

Patients who depend on the drug for relief told the council it's a quality of life issue, but not everyone agreed.

Some who opposed the ordinance say marijuana poses a threat to the community and children.

The City Council was swayed by the first hand accounts of people who said they depend on marijuana for pain relief.

"I would be in favor of regulations first, and I think that we need to go back to the drawing board, and make sure that we have all our T's crossed, and our I's dotted," said Tehachapi City Councilman Ed Grimes.

The council voted unanimously to table the ordinance and instead looked for a way to regulate medical marijuana use.

The Tehachapi City Council plans to work on another ordinance to regulate marijuana in the city.

15456.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: A Victory For Medical Marijuana Users In Tehachapi
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom