City Of Tehachapi Takes First Step To Ban Medical Marijuana, Residents Resist

Robert Celt

Tehachapi is the latest city in Kern County to take action under a new state law that allows local governments to prohibit marijuana cultivation, processing, delivery and medical marijuana dispensaries. However medical marijuana patients have strong objections towards the proposed ordinance under consideration by the city council.

"By shutting off access for people to grow their own and to keep for themselves you're taking away people's medicine," said Dave Gwaylon a medical marijuana advocate.

Several residents spoke out against the proposed ordinance at Monday evening's Tehachapi city council meeting, saying they depend on medical marijuana to relieve a number of conditions and ailments that prescription drugs cannot provide.

The city council voted 5-0 in favor of the proposed ordinance during a first reading. That prompted numerous people to storm out of the city council yelling their displeasure at the action by the city council.

"We're not talking about just pot-headed kids causing trouble," said 63-year-old Tehachapi resident Victoria Kendall. She said she uses medical marijuana to help her sleep. "I'm really upset. I really would like to see them suffer with some of the things, the ailments that some of us people who are using marijuana to help with the pain."

Tehachapi mayor Susan Wiggins said the city is wants to be in line with what other cities are doing in taking an aggressive stance against marijuana dispensaries.

"We want to be able to block them before we have a whole city of them," said Wiggins. Asked if the city couldn't come up with a compromise to meet the needs of legitimate medical marijuana users, Wiggins said she hadn't heard any talk about that coming from her colleagues on the city council.

"(Marijuana) is a gateway drug," said Wiggins. "I'm not saying that these people are anywhere like that, but we want to be able to control these things where our children can get a hold of them."

The ordinance is not yet final. The city council must approve a second reading and will most likely take up the matter at its' next city council meeting. Medical marijuana advocates said they will be there again to state their case."

"I hope there's hope because I believe that prayer and truth overpowers lies and stupidity," said resident Sharon Gorrell.

Sean-Williams-trimming-MMJ-plants.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: City Of Tehachapi Takes First Step To Ban Medical Marijuana, Residents Resist
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom