Africa: Vendor Jailed 10 Years Over Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

THE Kitwe High Court has sentenced a 38-year-old vendor of Kamakonde to 10 years imprisonment with hard labour for drug trafficking.

In this case, Stanley Chishimba, an ex-convict, was charged with trafficking in psychotropic substances.
It was alleged that on July 28, 2014 in Kitwe, Chishimba trafficked in a 17.5 kg of marijuana, a herbal product of cannabis sativa, without lawful authority.

In mitigation, through legal aid counsel Mwendalubi Kapukutula, Chishimba pleaded with the court to exercise leniency.

"My lady, the convict regrets his actions profusely and his incarceration has taught him a lesson that being involved in criminal activities does not pay," Mr Kapukutula said.

Handing down judgment, Justice Makungu observed that the convict was a second offender.

"Having considered what has been said in mitigation, I hereby sentence you to 10 years imprisonment with hard labour, and if you are not happy with my sentence, you can appeal to the Supreme Court within 14 days," she said.

Evidence before the court was that Ben Mubanda, a Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) officer, was on duty on the material day when he received information that Chishimba was dealing in marijuana.

Acting on the tip-off, DEC officers searched Chishimba's house and discovered some marijuana, which was wrapped in banana and maize leaves.

The matter was later reported to the police where the convict was arrested and charged.

14569.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Vendor jailed 10 years over dagga – Zambia Daily Mail
Author: Christine Chihame
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom