After 20 Years, California May Finally Regulate Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

California may have been the first state to legalize medical marijuana, but for twenty years efforts to regulate the industry have mostly gone up in smoke - until now.

The California State Assembly has finally given initial approval this week for comprehensive statewide regulations that would help manage the state's marijuana marketplace. The bill proposes to create an agency known as the Governor's Office of Marijuana Regulation, which would oversee the licensing and regulation of any commercial cannabis activities, according to the L.A. Times. And while the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Control Act still needs to be approved by the state Senate and Governor Jerry Brown, the fact that it has made it this far bodes well for anyone who grows, sells or, um, enjoys the benefits of medical marijuana.

If passed, the bill would bring much more standardized practices in a state industry that has struggled to manage medicinal pot. We would see more standardized products like edibles, those selling weed would have to be trained and certified, and dispensary licenses would be granted from the state to those who have been previously approved by local jurisdictions, says the L.A. Weekly. The bill would also create a Division of Medical Cannabis Cultivation and Division of Medical Cannabis Manufacturing and Testing, which make growing and smoking/ingesting pot sound way more official than we've ever heard. For a more detailed breakdown of the bill, check out SF Weekly.

What makes the bills progress - and hope for approval - even more compelling is the fact that it is a combination of two rival proposals. On one side you have Emerald Growers Association, who lobbies for small cannabis farms, and on the other side the Police Chiefs Association and the League of California Cities. Somehow through some medical marijuana miracle/haze, the two bills were merged into one. According to Assemblyman Rob Bonta who helped introduce the bill, "AB 266 works to fix a system that has been broken for almost two decades."

So, while we may not see L.A.'s medical marijuana farmer's market reopen right away, we may finally see some big changes to the state's marijuana industry very soon.

14782.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: After 20 Years, California May Finally Regulate Medical Marijuana : LAist
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: None Found

One of the biggest complaints I heard for people in the cannabis industry was having an agency under the department of ABC. Looks like it's going to have it's own department and I think that is good. We'll see!

One of the biggest complaints I heard for people in the cannabis industry was having an agency under the department of ABC. Looks like it's going to have it's own department and I think that is good. We'll see!

I would hope that the state doesn't create another non-funded department debacle, California should follow Colorado's example, as they did all of the organization BEFORE legalization. I would not like some Bozo running around looking at what I am growing, how much I'm growing and how I'm growing. I do not harm the environment at all. I have spring water that they want to regulate under the county water department with inspections to see if I am stealing water, silting streams or contaminating the groundwater with nitrates or oil from spills on the ground. There would/will be a HUGE cost for the growers in Sonoma county, if the water regulations are passed for growing marijuana, which will force many out of a livelihood. The county should stop the spread of the vineyards and clearing out of wooded areas for the location of the vines. Having read the draft copy of the regulations, I was shocked and dismayed. The county is trying to regulate the water for MMJ, but still allowing more vineyards... Sad state of affairs for water during a major drought as so many want the water that they are trying to regulate out the small farmer. I grow vegetables for a farmers market for my income and marijuana for my patients who cannot afford to go to a club and pay the prices there. Everything I grow is organic and I was an Environmental Engineer who just wanted out of the day to day grind, but I know all about what to do to avoid any issues damaging the environment. Granted there are growers that are doing things that are bad for the environment but they have been mostly from Mexico growing for the "cartels". Those are the people that the state should be going after...

Back
Top Bottom