Alameda County Pot Clinics Can Now Sell Hashish

Johnny

OAKLAND – Alameda County supervisors agreed this week to tweak the county's medical marijuana ordinance, allowing licensed dispensaries in unincorporated Alameda County to carry hashish while outlawing those dispensaries from carrying food made with marijuana.

The supervisors approved the first reading of the amendments to the ordinance by a 4-1 vote, with Supervisor Gail Steele opposed. Changes to an ordinance require a second reading – which should occur at the board's next scheduled meeting, July 22 – before it's officially passed, but that is usually considered a formality.

County supervisors approved the medical marijuana ordinance in 2005, after seven marijuana clinics opened in Ashland and Cherryland. Some neighbors complained about loitering and crime.

Armed robberies and the killing of a robbery suspect occurred in or near dispensaries in 2005.

The ordinance allowed the county to grant dispensary permits to three clinics in unincorporated territories. In October, one of those three clinics – Compassionate Patients' Cooperative – was shut down by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration on a variety of illegal drug sale and conspiracy charges. Two other clinics, We Are Hemp and the Garden of Eden, remain open.

The changes to the ordinance, approved Tuesday, allow the Board of Supervisors the discretion to open the dispensary permit application process when there are less than three clinics in operation, as is the case now.

The board may also decline to open the permitting process, and keep the status quo.

The main changes to the ordinance, however, involve proposals that came during the ordinance's two-year review.

The one change will allow licensed dispensaries in unincorporated Alameda County to carry hashish, more commonly called hash, a more concentrated and potent form of cannabis. No dispensary, however, can carry more than 1.5 pounds of the product at a given time. Some medical marijuana users prefer hashish due to its potency and variety of ways it may be used.

The other main change outlaws those dispensaries from carrying any food made with marijuana. That proposal, from the county's department of environmental health, was due to the county's concern about knowing the origins of ingredients in the food.

It is not believed any of the dispensaries sell marijuana-laced food.

Newshawk: JohnnyPotSmoker: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Inside Bay Area - Alameda Times-Star
Copyright: 2008 ANG Newspapers
Website: Alameda County pot clinics can now sell hashish - Inside Bay Area

I am glad to see that they have finally let Alameda County sell hash. I thought it was kind of a ridiculous thing anyway.

Now let's see if they let anymore clubs open.

The two that were shut down were crazy busy. There WERE people loitering, and one place basically caused a traffic jam every time I visited. Sorry, but these clubs were out of hand. They created so much attention that it was local merchants that complained.

The two clubs that are still open and have a real laid back atmosphere, which is personally the kind of club I prefer. They cater to patients they consider family, and are always there to help you and advise you with meds would suit you best. It's a shame that it displaced so many MMJ patients who would have to travel farther to get their med's.

I quit going to Alameda county when all the hooplah started there. Not a bad thing that my trips were then made to SF. That was worth the trip every time. Most of my trips these days are made to Santa Cruz. they have a couple great clubs, and one has more variety than anywhere else I have been.

Peace and good hash:rollit:

Back
Top Bottom