Alaska: Marijuana Businesses Clash With Law Enforcement Ahead Of Legalization

Jacob Redmond

Owners of a marijuana delivery company claim that Anchorage police officers are stealing from them, taking their cars and all the cash and pot inside.

Tuesday evening near Lake Otis Parkway and Dowling Road, APD seized another car from Absolutely Chronic Delivery Company.

"I just want them to leave us alone," said Nicole Meyer-Crites, co-owner of ACDC. According to Meyer-Crites this is the third time such a seizure has occurred.

ACDC is a marijuana delivery company; cannabis is donated, but there is a $10 charge for the delivery service.

Meyer-Crites believes the business model is legal since there is no money going directly for marijuana.

"I do feel like I'm completely in my rights to deliver medication to people," said Meyer-Crites.

Since marijuana became legal in February, many pot businesses have started popping up believing what they are doing is legal, but the state says anyone operating without a marijuana business licenses are acting illegally.

Licenses will not be available until next year.

Bruce Schulte with the states Marijuana Control Board did not want to comment on this specific incident Wednesday but said not much has changed since pot became legal in February.

"At this point the criminal statutes that address any marijuana business still applies so what was in effect a year ago is still in effect today," said Schulte.

By the end of November there will be a set of regulations similar to what guides the alcohol industry.

"People will know what it takes to get a license, what the application process is what the requirements are to establish and run a marijuana business," said Schulte. "Basically everything a potential business owner would need to know at the state level will be known by the end of November."

It will be around February 2016 before any marijuana license is issued and then around May 2016 before businesses can legally operate.

Meanwhile, the owners of ACDC said they will continue to operate.

APD would not comment on the impoundment of the car because it is part of an ongoing investigation.

14432.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana businesses clash with law enforcement ahead of legalization | Local News - KTUU.com Anchorage
Author: Caslon Hatch
Photo Credit: Anthony Souffle / Chicago Tribune
Website: KTUU.com - Alaskas News Source - Alaskas Top News, Storm Watch Weather, Politics, Sports, Health and Business Headlines

Back
Top Bottom