State Could Begin Approving Marijuana Business Applications Thursday

Christine Green

Anchorage — On Thursday, the state will meet to begin approving marijuana licenses for cultivation and testing facilities. There are 30 potential businesses up for review, including Arctic Herbery in Anchorage.
Real estate agent Bryant Thorp hopes to open the small boutique grow operation on Arctic Boulevard near 71st Avenue. For many, the dream of opening a marijuana business in Alaska has been years in the making, which is why Thorp made sure to get his application in early.

"I was the first one deemed complete by the state, which was a huge thing," he said. "Everybody's all like, 'When are they going to finish this? When are they going to get it done?' And I was the first one they got there."

Thorp is remodeling an old home that will house three small grow rooms and possibly a retail store in the future.

"As a boutique grow, I want a very high quality of marijuana, but I won't be able to grow much of it," he said. "It's going to be some of the most top-of-the-line stuff in a much smaller volume."

He's checking things off his to-do list before he can actually start growing marijuana: His security system is in, he's got his marijuana handlers permit, and on Thursday, he hopes the state will approve his license.

Thorp said he will still need to get a special use permit from the Municipality of Anchorage in order to operate.

But there's another hurdle.

Not a single business up for review on Thursday has completed the 60—day protest period required by the state, according to Cynthia Franklin, director of the Alaska Alcohol and Marijuana Control Office.

Bruce Schulte, chairman of the Alaska Marijuana Control Board, said applications might still be approved regardless.

"We can review and approve the applications and then if there are other factors, other issues outstanding like the 60-day protest period, we can delegate the final issuance of the licenses to staff and that way they won't have to come back to another board meeting," Schulte explained.

Even after a license is approved, business hopefuls will still need to get set up in the state's marijuana tracking system and pass an inspection before they can open for business, according to Schulte.

Thursday's meeting starts at 9:15 a.m. at the Atwood Building in downtown Anchorage and is open to the public.

The Marijuana Control Board won't start looking at retail and manufacturing applications until September.

111008_calif_marijuana_ap_328.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: State could begin approving marijuana business applications Thursday | KTVA Anchorage CBS 11
Author: Shannon Ballard
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom