Alex Morse Becomes First MA Mayor To Support Marijuana Legalization Ballot Question

Katelyn Baker

Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse came out on Monday in favor of a ballot question to legalize recreational marijuana, becoming the first of Massachusetts' mayors to do so.

"As I considered this question it became increasingly clear that I could no longer tolerate a system that results in disproportionate arrests of African-Americans and other minority groups and, frankly, has failed for decades to limit the availability of marijuana," Morse said in a statement.

The stance puts Morse, a Democrat, in opposition to many of the state's top politicians. Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican, and House Speaker Robert DeLeo, a Democrat from Winthrop, have been leading a ballot committee opposing marijuana legalization. Attorney General Maura Healey and Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, both Democrats, are also strong opponents.

One demographic that has often been more supportive of marijuana legalization, however, is young people. Morse, 27, became Holyoke's youngest mayor when he was elected at age 22. He is now in his third term.

Morse said black people are more likely to be arrested for marijuana offenses than white people, despite similar rates of using the drug. While opponents of legalization cite Massachusetts's existing problems with opioid addiction as a reason why the state should not open the door to a so-called "gateway drug," Morse cited a 2014 study from the Journal of the American Medical Association showing that opioid deaths were in fact lower in states with legalized marijuana.

"I believe that increased access to marijuana through a carefully regulated system would help Holyoke and other cities and towns who are struggling with the opioid scourge," Morse said. "These communities could also benefit from the tax revenues of a regulated system, not to mention the benefits of redirecting law enforcement resources to more serious crimes."

Voters will vote on marijuana legalization in November. It will appear as Question 4 on the ballot.

micaelsgordon.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Holyoke's Alex Morse Becomes 1st Mass. Mayor To Support Marijuana Legalization Ballot Question
Author: Shira Schoenberg
Photo Credit: Michael S. Gordon

Back
Top Bottom