Andrew Cuomo Talks Medical Marijuana: Still Opposes, But "Has An Open Mind"

Truth Seeker

Facing growing momentum from medical marijuana advocates in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo today repeated he is not in favor of legalizing pot but left the door open for negotiation on the issue.

"I'm not in favor of medical marijuana at this time," said Cuomo, a former local prosecutor and New York attorney general. But, he added, "the situation is an evolving one."

Cuomo, a Democrat in his third year in office, has concerns that legalizing marijuana for medical use would open opportunities for more illegal use and distribution of pot.

"You don't want to increase the distribution of drugs by creating another system." Cuomo said this morning on WCNY's "The Capitol Pressroom." "I think it's something that we need to move slowly and we need to move carefully...but I have an open mind."

Cuomo's comments come as Sen. Diane Savino, D-Staten Island, says she has enough support in the New York State Senate to approve medical marijuana. The bill is moving through the New York State Assembly, where similar legislation has passed repeatedly in recent years. The issue has never come up for a vote in the Senate.

The bill would allow doctors, physicians' assistants and nurse practitioners to recommend patients for marijuana use to the state's Department of Health. The department would create a registry of approved patients, who would have a photo identification card to buy up to 2.5 ounces of pot at a time from certified growers or dispensaries. The card would be valid for a year or less, depending on the recommendation from the healthcare provider.

Savino and Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, D-Manhattan, who is carrying the bill in the lower house, are planning a press conference Thursday in New York City on the issue.

Andrew_Cuomo2.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: syracuse.com
Author: Teri Weaver
Contact: Contact Us | Syracuse Media GroupSyracuse Media Group
Website: Andrew Cuomo talks medical marijuana: Still opposes, but "has an open mind" | syracuse.com

Back
Top Bottom