Anyone take for pancreatitis/IBS?

bahnzo

I have what has been diagnosed as chronic pancreatitis as well as symptoms resembling IBS. I'm really curious if cannabis has helped anyone here with these? I've done some searches and have seen some talk of cannabis helping with this, but no real testimonials from patients actually taking marijuana.

One reason I ask is that I'm currently taking lots of codeine now, along with other meds, and I'm really worried about the potential for addiction to the codeine. The main things I need relief from are stomach cramps, diarrhea and some nausea.

The codeine helps with all these, but it really constipates me badly, as well as the addiction.

Also, from what I read, it seems indica might be the best strain for me, as it's a body high rather than mind. Any thoughts/experience on this?

Thanks for any help!

yeah get off that codeine bahnzo.... I now have a script for oxy due to the severity of my backs condition, I'd rather subdue the pain with indica bud as it's less harmful than the other.i must medicate overnight sometimes as mj doesn't last that long & if i don't i have trouble walking in the morning. no addiction issues and no binding.... best of luck w/ you ailments and cures bro.....

I was also diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. For a good year I couldnt drink or eat food with alot of sugar or drink milk. Now I can just fine as long as its not everyday. I wanna say it does as I think its helped me but honestly I could just be eating better and I have heard that smoke makes chronic pancreatitis worse.

Yeah, milk is terrible for me, in fact any foods with a high fat content pretty much makes me horribly sick. But all food, no matter how bland causes me problems. Still not sure if I believe the GI doc's diagnosis myself as I don't have some of the common problems that people with pancreatitis report, such as the pain.

I don't currently smoke, (used to years ago) so I might give it a try, just have to find a source.

after reading this thread, i feel as though this explains the stomach pains and cramping i have just recently been experiencing. occasionally after eating i get cramps that double me over and i did look up IBS. but it don't always suffer from it.

What we eat how often we eat and how much we eat plays a major foctor in our health. What are you eating habbits? I was told I had chronic pancreatitis and that I couldnt drink or smoke anymore ect ect. Well no not really I had just been making my kidneys and liver work so hard they started to give out. Why because of my eating habbits. I was eating milk and cookies all day everyday for almost a month. I almost never drank water only milk. Well when I landed in the ER the doctors looked at me and with my tattoos and figured I had a drinking proboblem. I dont in fact I dont drink often at all. So thinking I would be fine I went home and had some milk and cookies.... ouch.

I started eating better and drinknig more water now I never have those pians. I smoke more then ever I can drink whenever I want and for days at a time as this weekend showd with no problems. I can also drink milk again fine as long as im not drinknig a gallon a day.

Technically, just eating poorly doesn't cause pancreatitis. Alcohol use and Cystic Fybrosis (hope I spelled that right) are the two known reasons for pancreatitis. Not to be your mother spliff, but I'd really stop the alcohol immediatly if you really have pancreatitis, it will only make it worse.

Tinkerbell: If you can, when you have these pains after eating, try to take notes of what you ate and see if there are any correlations between what you eat and what makes you sick. It might not be the same food, but it might be foods that contain either high fats or sugars, or something along those lines. Might help determine what to stay away from to avoid it later.

Thats what I'm saying as usual I was profiled for the way I look I hardly ever drank So I doubt I really had it but it was what they told me I had. My point was this When I ate better I stoped hurting so everyone try eating better and drink more water and see if it helps.

bahnzo said:
Tinkerbell: If you can, when you have these pains after eating, try to take notes of what you ate and see if there are any correlations between what you eat and what makes you sick. It might not be the same food, but it might be foods that contain either high fats or sugars, or something along those lines. Might help determine what to stay away from to avoid it later.

i am aware of this, i have been gathering info, i am drinking water although not as much as recommended but i workout 2-3 times a week, i drink water during my workout and all day at work. i try to maintain the high fats but occasionally relapse(munchies:laughtwo: ) i don't have insurance so i haven't seen a doc.

thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom