Australia: Please, Test Cannabis To Ease My Pain

Jacob Redmond

"NOW'S the time for me to fight."

Maryborough's Reggie Ricketts is no stranger to battling through adversity.

Diagnosed with prostate cancer and leukemia, the 70-year-old has been in constant pain since his illnesses were first detected 20 years ago.

Each day Mr Ricketts, who relies on palliative care, depends on painkillers to numb the agony he feels.

He underwent radiation therapy and described the treatment as "worse than the damn cancer".

Now he wants to be part of the State Government's medicinal marijuana trial, which he believes might help his pain and extend his life.

He also wants to do it for others who might benefit from the treatment in the future.

Mr Ricketts tries to be as independent and positive as possible, but says the pain he feels is unbelievable.

Some of the medications he takes, such as Oxycontin, fogs his head and makes him lose his memory.

Mr Ricketts has been in contact with Member for Maryborough Bruce Saunders' office and says he hopes he will be part of the trial.

He is far from alone.

An 80-year-old man with terminal liver cancer visited the Chronicle's office recently and said using marijuana eased his pain.

The man, whom the Chronicle has agreed not to name, said he used the substance in conjunction with other medications to combat the agony. He vowed he would never stop using marijuana.

Medicinal Marijuana

• Cannabis has been used to reduce nausea in chemotherapy
  • It reduces pain and muscle spasticity
14363.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Please, test cannabis to ease my pain | Fraser Coast Chronicle
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Alistair Brightman
Website: Fraser Coast news, weather, sports and classifieds | Fraser Coast Chronicle

Back
Top Bottom