Ballot Initiative Seeks To Expand Access To Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

A medical marijuana measure qualified for the Montana November election ballot on Wednesday.

The measure, Initiative 182, seeks to expand the availability of medical marijuana in Montana after a recent Supreme Court decision severely restricted it. Supporters of the initiative gathered 26,668 verified signatures statewide, enough to place it on the ballot.

At present, most of Butte’s 775 registered patients could be left without a way to legally purchase the plant as of Aug. 31, when the high court's decision validating the 2011 Montana Marijuana Act is set to go in effect.

The Montana Cannabis Information Association has petitioned the Supreme Court to delay implementation of its ruling until after the November election.

The Supreme Court's ruling means that each medical marijuana dispensary will be limited to assisting only three registered card-holders.

That means the 18 registered providers in Silver Bow could serve a total of only 54 patients, leaving 721 of the county's 775 registered customers without access to medical marijuana.

“Without someone being able to provide" for patients, said Lacee Putra, proprietor of Kolumbia Garden, 1635 Harrison Ave., “Where are they to go? They’re to go to the black market.”

Putra said if the Supreme Court decision stands, she would be limited to two patients, not including herself. She takes medical marijuana for scoliosis, she said.

No matter what, Putra said she will keep her doors open for her patients. She touts the safety of the legitimate dispensary or provider versus on-the-street purchases.

“The patients know exactly where (the marijuana) comes from. They can walk in, choose what they want; they don’t have to go to a ... parking lot," she said. "They’re in a safe zone here.”

Mark Gibbons Jr., who took over Montana Natural Medicine, 201 Continental Drive, in 2010, said the initiative probably will not pass. He calls himself a realist.

“I personally don’t think Montana laws will be changed once this goes into effect until 2020. It’s going to drive it underground - it’s a big issue.”

Gibbons has already selected the three patients he can serve, as requested by the state. Since the Supreme Court's decision, his clientele has dropped from 60 to 40 patients.

“A lot of people have fallen off due to the law change,” said Gibbons, adding that he has taken down all his advertising signs.

If approved, I-182 would:

• Lift the three-patient limit for caregivers;

• Establish licensing fees to pay for administering the program;

• Include post-traumatic stress disorders among the conditions for which medicinal marijuana can be used.

Jim Goetz, Bozeman-based lawyer for the Montana Cannabis Information Association, said he hopes District Judge James Reynolds will grant the extension prior to Aug. 31.

“I think the chances are excellent that (I-182) will pass because it passed solidly in 2004,” added Goetz. “And now the law has been refined to meet some early objections, such as traveling caravans and certification by doctors by telemedicine without actually seeing the patient.”

"I think there are enough people angry by the Legislature's action in 2011 to get it passed,” said Mort Reid, president of lead plaintiff MCIA in February after the Montana Supreme Court ruled to uphold most of the 2011 Montana Marijuana Act.

“If the initiative fails, that’s the law,” said BSB County Attorney Eileen Joyce. “Providers would have a hard time staying in business if they could only have three patients.”

How it plays out remains to be seen.

“We’ll just have to wait and see,” said Joyce.

Added Fran Lyons, owner of Mining City Medical Dispensary, 511 E. Front St.:

“I’m very relieved it made the ballot. The patients in Montana deserve it.”

5761bce958eb7_image.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ballot Initiative Seeks To Expand Access To Medical Marijuana
Author: Renata Birkenbuel
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom