Bangor To Rework Medical Marijuana Regulations

MedicalNeed

BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Bangor city staff members are back to the drawing board after the city council voted unanimously against a proposed amendment regulating where medical marijuana dispensaries can be located.

The city council says it does not want to have dispensaries and cultivation facilities in the same zone. The council also discussed not allowing dispensaries within 200 feet of any place of worship, and 1,000 feet of schools, playgrounds, and other areas where children may gather. Council chairman, Richard Stone, says that last night's meeting took care of a couple of housekeeping issues, but he has faith that the amendment will pass at the council's next meeting.

"The state set the rules. We have to go by the rules," Stone said. "The reason we have our moratorium in place was to make sure we had ample amount of time to get it done right, and we've got it done right. You know, it will pass."

The citywide moratorium expires in mid-October, but both the city staff and the city council are confident that the new ordinance will be properly completed by that date.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Maine News, Weather, Sports Channel 6 NBC Portland | WCSH6.com | Portland, ME
Author: Jackie Ward
Copyright: 2010 Pacific and Southern Company, Inc..
Website:WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | Bangor to rework medical marijuana regulations

Back
Top Bottom