Bay City-Based Tri-City Compassion Club Concerned About Club's Future After Raid

Kim Zimmer, 54, of Saginaw, is president of the Tri-City Compassion Club and said she's concerned for the organization's future.

Several of the club's 240 members are concerned they'll be targeted by law enforcement for associating with the club that advocates medical marijuana after John Roberts, 49, and Stephanie Whisman, 38, of Thomas township had their home raided and marijuana, plants, grow equipment and other marijuana-based medicines confiscated by federal drug agents Tuesday afternoon.

Zimmer said the group plans to meet at 5 p.m. Friday at the club's building located at 316 S. Henry in Bay City to discuss their future and the federal raid.

"They're like Gestapo," Zimmer said. "They act like kids, the way they love to go in there and tear stuff up."

She said the club provides members information for preparing their own medicine and offers networking for those wishing to procure medical marijuana.

"Now I don't know where I'm going to get my medicine that I need," said Zimmer, who said she suffers from chronic pain due to various medical problems that resulted in over 30 surgeries. Zimmer is one of John Roberts and Whisman's patients.

"What John and Stephanie are growing, it works completely on what is bothering me," she said. "And I feel better, I don't feel pressured with having to take pain pills. I know it's messing with my liver and it could be messing with other things inside you."

Roberts said he and Whisman harvested medical marijuana for their 10 patients just prior to the raid.

For an initial setup fee of $500 – which Roberts and Whisman said is used for maintenance, materials, equipment and upkeep – patients receive an indefinite supply of an ounce of marijuana per month, the couple said.

Roberts also prepares butter, brownies and "Rick Simpson hemp oil" – a liquid cannabis extract ingested orally for pain, Roberts said.

He said he has two patients who rely on the scarce oil to manage pain, and now that federal agents shut down his operation, those patients will likely suffer.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: MLive.com
Author: Gus Burns
Copyright: 2010 Michigan Live LLC.
Website: Bay City-based Tri-City Compassion Club concerned about club's future after federal raid in Saginaw County

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom