Beloit Teen Turns In Father Over Marijuana

R

roachclip

BELOIT, Wis. -- For years, parents have realized the importance of keeping kids off drugs. But, the actions of one Beloit teenager prove that sometimes kids have to be parents too.

Michael Hauger, 39, appeared in Rock County court this week for possession with intent to deliver marijuana after his 17-year-old son turned him in.

Three weeks ago, police met up with the teen at school to talk about his truant behavior. According to police reports, the boy said he could not be "normal" because his parents were "messed up." He also said he wanted to "turn his father in" for doing drugs.

Then, the teen led police into his home where they discovered seven marijuana plants.

"This is the first that I've heard of it in the Midwest. I've heard cases in California, this is a first for me," said Town of Beloit Police Chief John Wilson.

Police said the boy's decision to turn in his father could not have been an easy one. But, Wilson said if you're in this situation, it's the right thing to do.

"It's probably best to talk to a minister one-on-one or a guidance counselor to get some kind of direction," said Wilson.

Wilson also recommended talking with a family member for help.

Despite the emotional stress of the father's arrest, his mother told News 3 she supports her grandson's decision.

"Kids have no responsibility for what parents do. So, sometimes they have to go to the authorities. It's a hard thing to do and can create a split in the family, but if it comes to that those relationships probably weren't that good anyway," said Marilyn, Michael Hauger's mother.

Michael Hauger will again appear in court on July 7.

Source: Channel3000.com
Published: 4:39 pm CDT June 24, 2004
Copyright: Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc.
Website: https://www.channel3000.com/news/3454815/detail.html

Back
Top Bottom