Berties-2 x 400W - Bag Seed - Soil - Mess

Bertie

High all, heres a quick run down of what I've done....

2 x 400w hps in cool tubes. Shape of closet dictated that (long and thin).

Air flow/change good. Running through tubes. Osolating fan also.

Temp/humidity good.

I set 5 bag seeds away ages ago, they grew like crazy under fluros.

Potted on, and tied main stems down to adjacent pots to control height. then had to tie branches down as well. My fault, too lazy to set HPS's up etc when the time was right.

Switched to 12/12 almost 4 weeks ago.

1 male chopped.

1 hermaphrodite chopped. Phew!

3 ladies left, all in 10 gallon(ish) pots. I used many bags of seedling soil, with around 30% perlite, and some dolomite lime to help keep PH stable.

1 x hybrid, looks about 50/50 possibly more on the indica side, though leaves are just average size, its overall formation looks on the indica side though. Very strong, loves anything I throw at it. Its adventureous roots are almost as thick as its branches now. :smokin:

1 x sativa dominant, a little tricky, but doing ok. Bud formation on branches makes me think there is haze in there. Dunno!

1 x pig of a thing. As soon as I put the fan on it the leaves turned upside down. Extreme pain to look after and isnt going to yeild much. I've lost all interest in it. Doesnt drink much either.

Lights off at the moment, but will take pics and post them in a day or two. It aint gunna set your pulse racing guys, but might be enjoyable to watch the rest of the flowering phase.

So, I have a nute question for now, and once the pics are up, perhaps a strain indentity quiz might be in order.:)

Heres what I've given them so far (all off the shelf stuff)....

VEGATIVE
NPK 22/4/8

Nitrogen as ammonium = 11.75%
Nitrogen as urea = 10.25%

Phosphorus as water soluble = 4%

Potassium as sulphate = 8%

Sulphur as sulphate - 12.4%
Iron as EDTA chelated - 0.1%
Copper as EDTA chelated - 0.1%
Zinc as EDTA chelated - 0.02%
Manganese as EDTA chelated - 0.03%
Boron as sodium borate - 0.02%
Molybdenum as sodium molybdate - 0.002%

========================================

FLOWER
NPK 14/15/11.5 (african violet food)

Nitrogen as nitrate = 4.0%
Nitrogen as ammonium = 7.8%
Nitrogen as urea = 2.2%

Phosphorus as water soluble = 15%

Potassium as nitrate = 11.5%

Sulphar as sulphates - 1.15%
Magnesium as sulphate - 0.06%
Manganese as suphate - 0.24%
Iron as sulphate - 0.05%
Zinc as sulphate - 0.03%
Copper as sulphate - 0.02%
Boron as sodium borate - 0.02%
Molybdenum as sodium molybdate - 0.0014%
Maximum Biuret 0.4% (no idea what that is?)

=========================================

Not long after going into 12/12, I noticed what I thought was a magnesium deficency on two of the plants, so I gave them some Epsom Salts with their feed, and then did it again, and they seem to have picked up. I was planning on continuing giving them a little bit with each feed for another couple of weeks.

Anyway, I wasnt happy with the nitrogen levels in the African violet food. So today I went out and bought some 'liquid potash plus'.
PK 4/20 (which I thought was apt :))

Phosphorus = 4%
Potassium as carbonate = 20%

I also spotted some stuff called 'GOGO Juice'. Its a pro-biotic liquid so thought I'd give that a go having read up on molasses etc.

=========================================

My question on the nutes is this...

Can I continue to use the African violet food, but say in half strength, then use the liquid potash as well to lower the nitrogen? Is it as easy as using half the African violet amount, and using full strength liquid potash, so I end up with an NPK of..

7/7.5/5.725
+
0.0/4.0/20.0

TOTAL = 7/11.5/25.75

To me that would seem ok, maybe a touch high on the K, but whatever, its gotta be better than what i'm giving them now. The thing I'm not sure about though, and if it works like that, is I'm mixing carbonates with nitrates on the K front.

I've read hundreds of pages on here, and on other forums, but cant seem to find anything that explains that bit in depth, or if I have, I dont know where it is now.

Any ideas?

Will post pics soon, promise. I just want to get these ones over and done with, as I have some White Berry, White rhino, and some Nevilles Haze seeds I want to grow (Nevilles further down the line), so want to get properly set up for a mini SOG, but at the same time, want to get the best smoke I can from whats on the go currently.

I know its a long post, but I thought if I explained in full, then I only have to add pics later. Hopefully someone can answer that nute question. Actually, I have some older pics from a week or so ago. Will post one or two and take it from there. :)

Please dont advise on relective material etc, I have all that ready to go, i just want to get this bag seed done with, then I can move forward, and kit the closet out a lot better. This is just abit of fun for a few more weeks.

Thanks
Bertie.

Re: Berties-2 x 400W-bag seed-soil-mess :)

Ok, heres pics of the area with only the 3 girls remaining. Taken on the 12/11/10 followed by one taken 8 days later. Try not to laugh too hard.:grinjoint:

Also followed by a couple of shots of the same bud on the same dates (12/11/10 & 20/11/10). Yeah yeah, I know, a perfect example of why preparation is important. It'll be interesting to see what happens though.;)

11092.JPG

1a16.JPG

2799.jpg

2a11.jpg

Re: Berties-2 x 400W-bag seed-soil-mess :)

Camera been out of action (too lazy to charge battery:tokin:).

Its getting close to harvest time, real close. I started a flush a little while ago, then realised I'd started too early, so started slipping them some nutes again.

The pig of a thing started to die, so i pulled it. Not a lot there, got half an oz dried, though it tastes quite green. I guess thats due to not being flushed. Hopefully it will mellow with curing.

Of the two thats left, one has been flushed for about a week now, and I'm expecting to pull her in a few days time, 1st/2nd Jan. The other one seems to be around a week or so behind, so will be starting flushing that one soon, maybe tomorrow or the day after.

I'm stuck with the dilema of taking them in stages, or just moving on. Theres a load of small, under developed buds, on the lower part of both plants. So I might try taking the top colas, then dropping the lights.

One other thing, and I've tried to read up on the cat piss smell. Some people are saying its awful weed, some people say they like it. I'm not sure what this is, as it all came from bagseed that I liked, but it really does smell of cat piss, especially just as the lights come on. Up close though (nose in bud), the cat piss smell isnt really there, it just kind of fills the room up with that pong, and more so on the morning.

Anyway, I'll post some current pics later today, or in the morning.

Not much of a journal, I know. i'll get it together next time. If I'm not too ripped from the cat piss.:peacetwo:

Re: Berties-2 x 400W - Bag Seed - Soil - Mess :)

Hi Bertie

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info!

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Hi, apologies for dropping out.

A quick run down of what happened. Ended up with two plants. Got around 11oz of dried from both.

The strongest one was a little harsh (maybe needed longer flush, dunno). The other had slightly bigger colas.

I dried both, then stuck them in big jars (4 jars altogether 2 for each).

I jiggled them about and got my hand in there and turned them over, while leaving the lid off for a while each day.

Anyway, with so much weed, I kind of stopped the burping process after a month or so, and forgot about three of the jars. I've gone back to them since (for a top up), and they've gone moldy. I cant see it, but it smells moldy and when I blow in the jars, the pores come out like a fine dust.

I read something a long time ago (maybe 20 years ago) that all is not lost, and I can kill the mold by vacuuming it in a bag. This is supposed to kill the mold off as it starves it of oxygen. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'll try making some oil with it, or maybe just bin it.

Got some White berry, White Rhino, and some Neville's Haze seeds. Over the next week I'll be setting things up a little better than last time. I'm going to go with the White Berry for a SOG. Will do another journal once all the drilling, hammering, gluing, and other boring stuff is out of the way. I'm going to try something a little innovative for a closet grow. If it works, I think it will be the way to go, as it should improve things a little (for most closet growers).

One other thing..

The weed I got was quite bland in taste. With much experimentation, using Mantra flavoured papers (made in Spain, but are dotted around the planet), I found that a few of the grape papers scrunched up and placed in an airtight with weed, will give it a nice fruity tone. I actually did it with about a 16th and left it for 5 months or so, that was far too overpowering though. Someone even said "whats that you're smoking, grapes"? I'd recommend having a taste after 3 weeks or so, and going from there.

The other flavours dont seem to do it. i dont know why. I tried mango, vanilla, coconut (though i dont know why), chocolate gave a hint, but not much. Cherry might work, I didnt get around to tying it. Grape definitely works though.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case someone is bored with the taste. Try a little, you might like it. ;)

High Bertie,

Thank you for the update! I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom