Bill To Legalize Medical Marijuana Discussed In Albany

Truth Seeker

Although it seems unlikely to happen this year, state lawmakers predict that New York is heading toward legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes. A bill is expected to easily pass the state Assembly, but unlikely to get through the State Senate and to the Governor's desk. NY1's Zack Fink filed the following report.
Supporters of a bill to legalize medical marijuana say it can be done responsibly. critics have pointed to states like california, where prescriptions for pot get doled out fairly liberally, as an example of what not to do.

"California is not a model that we are seeking to replicate," said Sen. Diane Savino of Staten Island. "We want to make sure people understand that very clearly. Our model will be the best, most restricted most regulated in the nation."

New York's bill cleared the Assembly's health committee last week. It would require patients to receive written certifications from physicians in order to receive a limited portion of the drug. The plants that produce the drug would be grown in a state registered dispensary.

Only patients with debilitating and life-threatening illnesses would be eligible for prescriptions, although in some cases, individuals would be permitted to grow their own personal supply.

"A doctor in New York can prescribe you oxycodone or morphine or hundreds of other substances with the law at all limiting what it can be prescribed for," said Assemblyman Richard Gottfried.

Wanda Hernandez is HIV positive. She says the medications she takes make her nauseous. She has been smoking pot for roughly 14 years.

"I've found that the medical marijuana actually enhances my taste for me to be able to eat and actually keep this food down," Hernandez said.

Governor Cuomo says he is open to the idea of legalizing medical marijuana, although not right away.

"It's on the radar, but it's very far out on the radar," the governor said. "And I do not believe it lands this session."

The New York law would limit possession to 2.5 ounces for a patient at any given time. Unlike other states, there would be no limit on the level of THC, psychotropic chemical that gives marijuana its potency.

eouploader_5f347657-0170-45e6-98cd-eadabb56024f_1_data.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: ny1.com
Author: Zack Fink
Website: Bill To Legalize Medical Marijuana Discussed In Albany - NY1.com

Back
Top Bottom