Board Discusses Cannabis, Kearney Recall

Katelyn Baker

Barden Stevenot, a winemaker who helped develop the identity of Murphys, was the first to address the Calaveras County Board of Supervisors Tuesday, as a proponent of a ballot initiative that would regulate commercial and non-commercial cannabis cultivation in the county.

He said he started the initiative because of pressure from distressed neighbors, but also to create jobs, generate tax dollars and fund an enterprise. He added he represents a silent majority that is neither for or against cultivation.

Supervisors voted unanimously to allow voters to decide in November.

Supervisors could have adopted the ordinance without alteration Tuesday or ordered a report for more information, though Rebecca Turner, the Calaveras County clerk-recorder, said at the meeting the latter was not recommended.

The decision came after a presentation period that saw Calaveras County Sheriff Rick DiBasilio express concerns about the proposed ordinance. He said the ordinance would limit law enforcement on background checks and noise complaints by neighbors who have to listen to generators power light for a grow during night hours.

Arthur Hodge, a lawyer from Carlsbad, said the proposed ordinance allows supervisors flexibility to adopt additional measures to rectify something that may be considered an issue down the road.

"The ordinance has the ability for supervisors or their successors to protect the community," said Hodge, who added the initiative would bypass California Environmental Quality Act review, if passed, something a county-prepared ordinance cannot.

Hodge said the ordinance discussed Tuesday has many similarities to measures the board has discussed in previous months.

It provides a regulatory structure that limits the size of all outdoor cultivation sites to 15 percent of a parcel, maxing out at a half acre. Most indoor grows would not be allowed to exceed 15 percent of the entire size of the parcel. Personal growers cannot exceed a cultivation site of 100 square feet, and caregivers cannot exceed up to 200 square feet, with a maximum of two patients.

But it is also different. The ordinance adds a section that regulates cannabis manufacturing, testing, distribution and transportation, all of which DiBasilio said might not be good for the county and should not be allowed.

Under the proposed ordinance, application fees will cost $5,000 for commercial growing, $200 for caregivers and $100 for personal. A $5,000 fee will be required for those wishing to manufacture, test, distribute or transport cannabis. Renewal fees will be half those amounts.

Kearney recall

A few hours later, Calaveras supervisors refused to order a special election in response to a petition to recall District 5 Supervisor Steve Kearney that gathered enough signatures to prompt consolidation with the November election. Kearney recused himself from the discussions.

"I dislike recalls. I don't think it is healthy for the community," Debbie Ponte said. "I am not going to be supporting this recall to go onto the ballot."

Michael Oliveira said, "I share this same position. I think it is an embarrassment to some residents in this county."

Since no measure was made, the responsibility will fall to Turner, who is required to call the election by law. However, she will not be able to do so until 20 days from now. She said the supervisors still have two weeks to act. If they do not, she has five days.

The recall election was said to cost the county an additional $8,500 for the general election. The delay in announcement will increase the price, though official increases were not known as of Tuesday afternoon.

shutterstock_121570756.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Board Discusses Cannabis, Kearney Recall
Author: Jason Cowan
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Back
Top Bottom