Bug problems

Does anyone know what these bugs are and how to get rid

of them?
They resemble fungus gnats. No real size reference there.

Read about them here:

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial | 420 Magazine ®

I recommend getting some BT (mosquito dunks....big box store, china-mart, etc). If you can't find the granules, get the doughnuts, and use a cheese grater (wear a dust mask to be safe) to make small pieces, and sprinkle it on your media. When you water, that will carry the bacteria into the media and stop the larvae from eating your roots. Put up some sticky ribbon or cards, and catch the adults. Once you make the larvae not able to feed, they will die off, but it may take a few weeks.

It's a good preventative even if they are NOT fungus gnats. Mine were very tiny, but I still inoculated the soil for them. Works even if in coco fiber.

Fungus gnats can hurt your plants bad, so don't dismiss any prevention.

Hope this helps.

Hard to tell from that distance. A good solution is to buy neem oil either already mixed or concentrated. If concentrated mix 1 gallon of warm water with 1 teaspoon dishwasher liquid and 1 teaspoon neem oil. Get a good garden sprayer and spray the plant and top of soil with the mixture just before lights out. I've often spray it when the lights are on with no ill effects but all the instructions I have seed say to do it while lights are out to prevent any burning.

You will need to repeat about every 3-4 days for a couple weeks until you see they are gone.

If they are in the soil you could try bonsaiweed's suggestion. I've never tried it. Another option if you are more into organic control you could get some beneficial nematodes. They come refrigerated on a sponge and you just release them in a gallon or two of water then water your plants. The nematodes live on a bunch of different larva in the soil and do a pretty good job supplemented with neem oil. I prefer buying a food grade neem oil.

You can use neem up until harvest with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom