CA: Ban On MMJ Cultivation, Delivery, Dispensaries Wins Fairfield Council OK

Robert Celt

A ban on medical marijuana cultivation, along with dispensaries and commercial delivery of the drug, won City Council approval Tuesday after speakers opposed the measure they said they would make them criminals.

"Your panic is not my emergency," Michael Kimmel told council members.

Medical marijuana users are not hopping fences and committing crimes, he said.

But council members cited problems that included marijuana use by youths.

Councilman Rick Vaccaro, acknowledging the difference between medical and recreational use of the drug, spoke about marijuana's impact on students he works with at juvenile hall.

"What I see every day is what it does to some of the kids," Vaccaro said.

One bright student is high four days out of five and has to be sent home, he said.

Fairfield resident Ned Stanley, 84, one of seven speakers opposed to the ban, said he is a diabetic and drinks marijuana tea.

"I don't buy it," Stanley said of the drug. "I don't sell it."

"I don't want to be forced to be a felon at this age," he told the council.

The measure passed by a 3-0 vote, with Mayor Harry Price noting the role of the imaginary drug soma in a dystopian novel.

A staff report said a new state law requires a city to take action before March 1 to ban or regulate cultivation and delivery of medical marijuana. If Fairfield didn't act, a dispensary granted a license by the state would be able to deliver medical marijuana within the city, the staff said.

Vice Mayor Chuck Timm said, "We have to get this done because the state will come in if we don't."

"We're under the gun," Timm said.

Councilwomen Pam Bertani and Catherine Moy were absent Tuesday.

Fairfield Police Capt. Steve Crane said the department supports the ban.

The city has allowed medical marijuana use under proper regulations for 19 years and continues to do so, Crane said.

marijuana_plants2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: CA: Ban On MMJ Cultivation, Delivery, Dispensaries Wins Fairfield Council OK
Author: Ryan McCarthy
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Back
Top Bottom