CA: Cannabis Chamber Of Commerce Operating In Humboldt County

Katelyn Baker

As the business community's enchantment with marijuana continues the growth in cannabis-entrepreneurs continues to fuel a "green rush."

"It's heating up and the momentum is growing," explained Allison Edrington over a latte at a coffee shop in Fortuna. "Cannabis entrepreneurs need a good accountant, they need a good lawyer, they need business acumen like never before."

Which is why Edrington joined fellow cannabis enthusiasts to start the first ever Humboldt Cannabis Chamber of Commerce. She, of Eris & Edrington Writing Co., is the chamber president.

With last week's announcement that legalizing recreational use of marijuana is now headed to the ballot in November, not to mention the nearly weekly announcements from county and state lawmakers regarding new regulations and taxations to govern the product, it does appear that the "green rush" is reaching a fever pitch.

And it's not just cannabis entrepreneurs who feel it.

"This is a necessary collective," said Southern Humboldt's Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Laura Lasseter. "I've been to both of their mixers so far and each time I am meeting new business owners who I otherwise wouldn't have met."

"Our aim is to build a bridge," Edrington said. "Cannabis growers and entrepreneurs are not the bad guy; we are just as entrepreneurial as someone making necklaces or cider and we benefit from sharing information."

The chamber is new, launching just this year and with only a Facebook page and a few events under its belt.

"Our membership is growing fast," Edrington said. "And the range of cannabis entrepreneurs is inspiring."

Edrington estimated about 40 people showed up for their June meet-and-greet at Persimmons Garden Gallery in Redway. Many of those were first-timers to any sort of business networking event.

"We're an industry who has - in the past - eschewed keeping records or business books of any kind," Edrington explained to help understand the broad strokes that the upstart businesses are going through. "Those used to be evidence, but now record-keeping is essential to inventory, taxes, security, accounting, etc."

It's a brand new world for many cannabis entrepreneurs who want to catch a wave of the "Green Rush."

"They are businesses who are, in some cases already, trying to help drive the local economy," Lasseter added. "I think the more we can help guide them and help keep them here, the better for everyone."

humboldt.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabis Chamber Of Commerce Operating In Humboldt County
Author: Kellie Ann Benz
Photo Credit: Humboldt Cannabis Chamber of Commerce

Back
Top Bottom