CA: Why Upland Is Choosing A Different Route To Ban Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Upland residents will not have to vote on three marijuana-related measures on the ballot in November.

The City Council, which was contemplating a total marijuana ban, has opted for a different route.

Instead, it is working to draft an ordinance that will become effective before the November election.

At Monday night's meeting, the council directed staff to bring back an ordinance for its Aug. 8 meeting.

"We know marijuana in Upland, and in the entire state, is extremely complicated and controversial right now," Councilwoman Carol Timm said.

The city made the switch from a ballot measure to ordinance for one important reason: If the citizens voted on the total ban, any amendments to the measure could not have been changed without a vote by the public.

Given the state of flux on how California will regulate recreational marijuana, Timm said, an ad hoc committee decided to take it off the ballot.

"The ordinance is not ready to go to the vote of the people because the citizens don't have the information they need to make a rational decision," she said.

Both Timm and Mayor Ray Musser were appointed to an ad hoc committee following the July 11 meeting to address discrepancies with the original ballot measure for a total ban.

Timm said the committee received input from advocates and opponents of the ban.

"From the last meeting I felt the ordinance was not clear, the verbiage wasn't clear and I wanted to clarify the language and address the citizens' concerns by comprehensively addressing their questions," Timm explained.

The ad hoc committee spent several days revising the ordinance with an attorney, she said.

"The more we delved into the issue, the more complex the issue got," Timm added.

Despite the latest round of revisions, Councilman Glenn Bozar said he felt it needed to be cleaned up before it headed to the Planning Commission for review, which Timm welcomed.

The city's municipal code currently bans medical marijuana dispensaries and mobile dispensaries. The zoning code does not expressly permit marijuana cultivation, distribution or sale — those are prohibited, as well.

The proposal will ban both medical and recreational marijuana related activities, including: cultivating, dispensing, transporting, distributing, processing, labeling and testing.

christal.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Why Upland Is Choosing A Different Route To Ban Marijuana
Author: Liset Marquez
Photo Credit: None Found

If you are standing at the center of Upland, CA you can walk 20 minutes in any direction and you will no longer be under their jurisdiction.

Soon after I got my medical permit I read that Stanislaus County had banned all same things. It took further study to discover that it did not apply to what one did at home but was just for commercial. - I also found that they seem to not be enforcing it but had made the ordinance in response to some badly written state legislation.
Does this Upland ordinance apply to what one does at home?

Back
Top Bottom