Canada: Ontario City Dispensary Now Serving Patients

Jacob Redmond

A medical marijuana dispensary is taking orders in downtown Orillia.

Doctor-referred patients can purchase the drug in pill form through Paul’s Para Fernalia, a recently opened shop at 35 West St. S. specializing in medical marijuana supplies.

Owner Paul Sieger sells vaporizers, bongs and rolling papers, while pills containing THC are made available through WB Genetics, a Simcoe County-based medical marijuana grower and supplier.

The pills are not displayed or stockpiled on site, Sieger said.

“It’s not going to be like Colorado, it’s not going to be like Amsterdam,” said Sieger, who uses medical marijuana for anxiety.

In order to purchase medical marijuana, an individual must obtain a prescription from a doctor and register with a licensed producer, said Warren Beaule, owner of WB Genetics.

“I strictly deal with referrals through doctors,” he said.

Beaule grows and processes marijuana at a licensed facility in Simcoe County.

“Right now I have people who are cancer patients, I have people who have Parkinson’s, ALS, epilepsy, MS,” he said. “It is very, very effective for those.”*

They do not alleviate pain, Beaule said.

“If you need something for chronic pain, you are basically going to have to smoke it or burn it, or you can use edibles,” he said.

At this point, Beaule does not intend to sell the more common, dried form of marijuana through the store.

“If there is a need I will supply it,” he said. “If not, then I’m not going to. I prefer to deal with people who are diagnosed, they are very sick people and they need medication. I don’t want to be known as somebody who is supplying people who just want to get high.”

Local clients will place an order and arrange for a pickup day and time.

“There will be no stocked quantities left here, and that will be made very clear,” he added.

Beaule stressed that he has no medical credentials.

“I am not a medical practitioner, I don’t profess to be in any way, shape or form,” he said. “I am just offering a viable alternative to pharmaceutical medications.”

Price depends on the strain of marijuana and frequency of use.

A patient with epilepsy, for example, would take one pill every three days, with a package of 42 pills costing $500.

Beaule said he has been using medical marijuana for chronic pain since 1995 after breaking his back.

“Without marijuana, I can’t even walk, I can’t get out of bed, I can’t move,” he added.

Beaule said the majority of area patients with possession licenses obtain marijuana on the street.

“The medication that they get on the street is not safe, it’s not tested, they don’t know what they’re getting,” he said. “Nine times out of 10, people don’t even know what strain they are buying.”

Health Canada on its web site states that “dried marijuana is not an approved drug or medicine in Canada.”

It adds the federal government does not endorse the use of marijuana for medical purposes, “but the courts have required reasonable access to a legal source of marijuana when authorized by a healthcare practitioner.”

15543.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana in downtown Orillia
Author: Frank Matys
Photo Credit: Paul's Para Fernalia

Back
Top Bottom