Canada seems to be the dumping ground for discontinued products

dakotamoon

Canada may have legalized marijuana now, but growers are being shown a disservice - when they try to buy nutrients.

Things change fast in the "NUTES" world, but as I am finding out .. Canada's hydro stores, (amazing people who help me so much) .. carry the products that major nute mfg's no longer sell to the rest of the world.

I found that with Earth Juice organic products, and now with Dutch Nutrient products as well: case in point.. I went to a local grow store to buy some Dutch Nutrient Diamond (their current product) , but I can only buy Dutch Nutrients Gold, and Black .. which have now been replace with "Diamond" - which has both humic acid, and fulvic acid combined.

The major issue is "time", these nutes won't stay viable in a plastic bottle for years. The date on both bottles is 2017, but that is a lifetime in this industry.

I hate to order from Amazon, as they take the Wallmart model to the max, they don't employ any local people - if You think Wallmart killed small town businesses, Amazon is that to the N'th degree!

I just thought other Canadians might appreciate this post.

Yup, speaking of Amazon.. when one searches for nutrients or other marijuana growing "items", the selection is totally different on the Canadian Amazon, vs. the American Amazon. I can see this with soil additives like "RECHARGE"!

I "assumed" that Dutch Nutrients was a world wide company, but from all their info on their site, it's "only" available in Canada? Who knew?

This makes my above post, nonsense. I had no idea that DN was only available in Canada.

Kanuckistan has a lot of nutrients or additives not allowed in their country
Thus, brands only available in your country

In addition, lots of mom and pop stores do not and can't carry everything available, it's just not financially possible. Also many sell what they know is good and don't jump on the NEW fad until proven

Research is very valuable

My local shop are amazing, they fixed me up with a similar product with a great discount.

You're right about research though, for some reason I thought that "Dutch Nutrients" were one of the Big Boys in the hydroponic world, I had no idea they are just a local mom & pop operation from Toronto, that explains a lot. I have no idea how their products rate as compared to the big boys, but I'll find out.

As an experiment, I have four plants in my 3 x 3 grow tent at the moment, one of the plants has been given a foliar spray of fulvic acid (Dutch Nutrients Gold) We'll see if that plant does better than the other 3. Coco Grow - Day 14.JPG The fulvic acid plant is CBD Critical #2 ... in this pix .. back right. So lets see how she does with this foliar spray? When my Afghani Kush's are a bit older .. I plan to spray one of the AFKush plants with humic acid (Dutch Nutrients Black) - so we'll hopefully see how the ladies progress. There is so much data about humic/fulvic .. let's see how they do in the real world. Keep in mind that this is my "first" COCO grow, so I'm learning with every "change" I make. Trying to quantify, and qualify some of these Nute additives is a full time job.

Genetics are such a large part of this hobby, the one Afghani Kush plant that "popped" first - just has so much life force in the seed, that it may be a "special" case, how do I counter that into my experiment? Just not give that one plant "anything" out of the ordinary. This one seed, is amazing .. it took only 18 hours in the dark ..but the seed had a tap root almost 4" long - in 18 hours of dark.. this seed just HAS to grow, it already has the strongest stalk, and it's one week behind the other plants.

I hadn't watched the other seeds, as they were normal propagation - but this one seed, popped up from the Coco - in less than 12 hours, so I knew I had something special!

I found this older post here on 420mag: Buying Nutes is a nightmare - if You don't want to support the Monsanto's (Bayer), of the world, DON"T buy: "Gavita" lighting products, "Botanicare" nutes, or anything from "Sunlight Supply" and mainly "General Hydroponics".. they were all purchased by SCOTT's - through their subsidiary "Hawthorne Garden Company"! Glycophosphate has poisoned our entire bio culture, DON't give these leeches a penny! "THEY" may have purchased more hydro companies, but that will out. If you can avoid sending the BEAST $$ .. please so so. There is a lot of censorship in this forum, but the above post is still there. The original post:
Scotts Miracle Grow Purchases General Hydroponics, Sunlight Supply And Others

Scotts and Hawthorne currently own big-name brands including General Hydroponics, Botanicare, Gavita, Can-Filters, Black Magic, Whitney Farms, Vermicrop Organics, Root Farm and Ecoscraps. We need to vote with our dollars. Apparently Scott's are buying up hydro stores like crazy, of course to sell their General Hydroponics crap.

Look into Megacrop, they ship in Canada now too. I opted for the 18lb bag of fertilizer. Because it's dry & soluble, it's shelf life is much longer if you keep it in good conditions (don't let moisture penetrate). Looking at pennies per gallon of feed vs the bottled liquid nutes.

Look into Megacrop, they ship in Canada now too. I opted for the 18lb bag of fertilizer. Because it's dry & soluble, it's shelf life is much longer if you keep it in good conditions (don't let moisture penetrate). Looking at pennies per gallon of feed vs the bottled liquid nutes.

And they offer a 500g free sample, just have to pay the shipping which was about $8.00. Weird thing is when I ordered mine it was shipped from Amazon. I believe they have a storefront on Amazon and get a discount on shipping or maybe they just used a Amazon envelope.

Scotts and Hawthorne currently own big-name brands including General Hydroponics, Botanicare, Gavita, Can-Filters, Black Magic, Whitney Farms, Vermicrop Organics, Root Farm and Ecoscraps. We need to vote with our dollars. Apparently Scott's are buying up hydro stores like crazy, of course to sell their General Hydroponics crap.
GH is very cheap and very potent and a little goes a long way. Never have ant deficiencies and have grown stupid good weed.
If you discuss them from an ethical standpoint sure. Their a monopoly. And its always better to support small business.
But GH is far from crap, bang for buck and end product i dont think anything else compares.

Back
Top Bottom