Can't find certain materials

Foreverstoked

I was collecting materials for a DWC system(as shown in Tulips Tutorial) and being winter everything seems to be out of season. I can't find hydroton clay rocks or rockwool cubes in my area. Are there any alternative mediums I could use in place of those? Suggestions, personal experience, expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can't find certain materials...

You can use small river rock (gravel large enough to not fall thru nets) if you must but, wash the @#$@$ out of it. If you have a hydro shop or garden center near you they have to have clay rocks... I've never seen one not have them. At least in Colorado.

Good Luck
WillyB

That sucks dude, I know first hand on this one, I probably drove 300 miles a day during the week looking for this stuff, especially the pumps and irrigation fittings, I made a rigged up home depot supply run work for it but I will be getting those pumps and irrigation fittings from SH asap, I spent 3 times the amount of money but I needed something that day, I hated doing it but it was the only option aside from losing my plants.

Search out hydroponic supply shops, or indoor gardening shops etc.... they tend to be open and stocked all year long, I found one that had most everything I needed for growing just not the pumps and irrigation fittings even though it was a long drive it was worth it. I know waiting isnt a real option but within the next 30 days or so I think the garden centers will start stocking up again, every one I've been to had their stores full of xmas stuff but said they would most likely be all stocked up on everything but actual plants by late jan. early feb.

It sucks dude but its out there its just really really hard to find. I found pumps labeled as coy pond/pond pumps but honestly the ones SH sells look better and are half the price of anything I could find on the shelves around here. Good luck...

You can always try jiffy pods and colored marbles. That works good in a pintch.

Back
Top Bottom