Carbon filters, extractor fans, etc. Help!

spliffas

Hello. Help me to decide, like you always do. :)

Viparspectra R300 / 50 x 50 x 100 cm tent / additive LED strip.

Can't decide about ventilation. I was thinking of making my own carbon filter with computer fans, but I am not sure if they will be efficient. HELP!
Fans I am looking at:
1553709013501.png

I was thinking of doing a panel with 3-4 fans with added carbon. The whole thing would cost me about 18 pounds (with carboon, etc), but now I am not sure if it's worth experimenting. Fans specs I like, but do you think it is able to push air through carb filter?

• Air flow(CFM):48
  • Speed:2300rpm ±10%

9 x 9 x 2.5cm

I am ordering two of those as for a wind for my girls. I need it to be as silent as possible, that's why those options! AND CHEAP. And I don't mind doing diy! I love it!

Another option I found is Xpelair Simply Silent series. 16dB of noise levels! But it costs 24 pounds + rhino cheapest 4 inch about 18 pounds. So triple the price.

I don't mind paying extra 20-30-40, but I need to be sure that this will be silent and efficient 150%.

If doing second way I believe fan inside tent and filter out, yeash?

Those computer fans won't move air through a restriction, so they're inappropriate for carbon filter use, IMHO.

EDIT: Good fans aren't real cheap, quiet fans aren't real cheap, and good quiet fans aren't cheap. I went with "it works." In other words, it's not really what I'd consider quiet (and my ability to hear is not what it once was :rolleyes: ), and I bought it knowing that it's not likely to last all that long :( . But I figure it will give me adequate air movement - probably at a reduced speed setting - for a 63 or 64 cubic foot space, even after accounting for filter/duct restrictions. I also got a 4"x12" filter. I like squirrel cage type fans for this application. If building your own filter, try to size it appropriately; perhaps you can get ideas by looking at ones for sale (filter's rated airflow should be at least as great as the fan's).

Those computer fans won't move air through a restriction, so they're inappropriate for carbon filter use, IMHO.

Yeash, but I read some reviews with good results, though with different fans. As I am concerned about extraction only when flowering kicks in, I have about 4 weeks from now to work something about my extraction.
* MUST BE 0 SMELL BECAUSE OF MY GF
*MUST BE 0 SOUND BECAUSE OF MY GF AS WE WILL BE SLEEPING NEAR THOSE GURLS. And she doesn't smoke.

My calcs say you need roughly a fan with 11 CFM to move the air every 3min with 20% additional for carbon filter. As long as the ducting is fairly air tight it would work in theory.

Cougar cfd12hbb 120mm fans are 64CFM 16.6db and 15.50 USD / 11.7 pounds on amazon. What I use in my desktop PC. Quietest fans I've ever owned :)

My calcs say you need roughly a fan with 11 CFM to move the air every 3min with 20% additional for carbon filter. As long as the ducting is fairly air tight it would work in theory.

Cougar cfd12hbb 120mm fans are 64CFM 16.6db and 15.50 USD / 11.7 pounds on amazon. What I use in my desktop PC. Quietest fans I've ever owned :)

So You assume me to try that carb - extractor project and see what happens?

After discussin with my gf and reading more about Xpelair C4S and decided to go with it. It costs 25 pounds and they say it's silent. If I am correct with my numbers it's created for that size of tent. 15l/s or 21l/s. 15 x 60 is 900l per minute, so my tent is 250l, so 900/250 is 4 and that bit for a carb filter. Cheapest carb filter costs 18 on ebay, can go with rhino hobby, but it's too big for my project lol.

There are carbon filter sheets you could look into. Used in tower fans. They can be cut to size. Personally wouldnt put the PC fan right on it, but rather funnel air at it to create slight air pressure and force it through. They're pretty cheap too.

Your project reminds me of smoking using dryer sheets and paper towel tubes for sploofs. Worked great. :goodluck:

Yeash, but I read some reviews with good results, though with different fans. As I am concerned about extraction only when flowering kicks in, I have about 4 weeks from now to work something about my extraction.
*MUST BE 0 SOUND BECAUSE OF MY GF AS WE WILL BE SLEEPING NEAR THOSE GURLS. And she doesn't smoke.
This made me laugh, you're a brave man. Good luck with everything!

[/QUOTE]
Yea thats going to be a rough one. Zero smell and sound can be achieved but at a substancial cost. Keep us posted on your progress. I am running two fans inline with no filter and dumping it up a flue. Sound not an issue for me . Better half still smells it, but then again she has a nose that would put a bloodhound to shame.

Get a good fan and filter, and for the noise... buy your wife an aquarium, lol. They make bubble sounds 24/7/52. It's classed as one of those "good noises" that cover other noises and relax people. Plus, she can do fish stuff while you're tending to your plants ;) .

Back
Top Bottom