Cathedral City Looks At Medical Marijuana Shop Rules

Truth Seeker

Cathedral City is looking at rules to regulate medical marijuana dispensaries, as the California Supreme Court decides whether cities can bans the shops.

Cathedral City currently has a ban against all medical marijuana dispensaries.

But with a California Supreme Court decision coming up within the next 60 days, that ban could go up in smoke.

So, they are preparing with rules for those shops.

The owners of Compassionate Therapeutic Care haven't opened their doors yet, they hope that can change soon.

"We're the one shop that's trying to start this and do it legally, the proper way, and there's a lot of shops that popped up that are not legal, and we didn't want to do that," said Mario Valorani with Compassionate Therapeutic Care.

Multiple medical marijuana dispensaries have been shut down in Cathedral City.

Cathedral City Attorney, Charles Green, says there is still one -- Grasshopper Collective -- operating against a court order.

"We have a hearing coming up in a few days with the court to authorize us to go in and physically shut them down," said Green.

The California Supreme Court will decide whether cities have the right to ban dispensaries.

"I didn't want the city to be in a position where they had no regulations in place against a dispensary because then they could go where they wanted to, be open any hour, situate next to churches and schools and that sort of thing," said Green.

There are many rules to the ordinance.

First of all, only two dispensaries will be given permits.

They could only operate during certain hours, with no cash and not on Palm Canyon Drive.

"We want to make sure that we have regulations put in place, we have time, place and manner in which the business can operate, as well as where they will be located, so this is a great planning opportunity for us for the future in case the court rules against dispensaries," said Mayor Kathleen De Rosa.

We asked Compassionate Therapeutic Care what if the court says city bans are okay.

"I'm totally optimistic but that's a good question and I don't know how to answer that. I wouldn't want to do it any other way but legally," said Valorani.

Cathedral City Council changed the proposed rules in a few ways, including the number of dispensaries will be based on population: one per 20,000 residents.

MMJ_In_Baggies.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kmir6.com
Author: Angela Monroe
Website: Cathedral City Looks at Medical Marijuana Shop Rules - www.kmir6.com

Back
Top Bottom