Charge dropped against man accused of putting marijuana in student's locker

Roachclip

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. (AP) – A marijuana possession charge has been dropped against a former assistant high school principal who was investigated after police said he admitted to planting marijuana in a student's locker.

Former South Haven High School assistant principal Pat Conroy was charged with the misdemeanor, but Van Buren County Prosecutor Juris Kaps told the Kalamazoo Gazette that the charge was dropped because of a technicality.

A document carried the incorrect date for a visit to the school to search for marijuana, The Herald-Paladium of St. Joseph reported.

Kaps said Conroy told police he put marijuana in the locker of a student he suspected was a drug dealer. After police, using a drug dog, searched the school in February 2003, Conroy told them they missed the marijuana.

Conroy resigned shortly after the incident.

"My wife, family and I are relieved ... and look forward with moving on with our lives," Conroy said in a statement. "I made a mistake for which I am truly sorry."

The Ann Arbor News
7/24/2004
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
https://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-17/1090689266160240.xml

Back
Top Bottom