Cheapskate DIY SCROG

stokesy

Iv'e had it in mind to try a scrog... but, I just can't find the right pvc piping, elbows, etc. After a great deal of thought, I've come up with this idea, using a modified cardboard apple box from the supermarket.

I have 4 of these, and will be scrogging Pineapple Express and Super Silver, 2 of each in my tent, 1.2m x 1.2 m, 600 w HPS.

I't really looking for criticism of my cardboard box effort. Can anyone see any future problems with it? These cardboard boxes are pretty sturdy, in their usual form, and cutting the base out does weaken the structure, but I can't see that it will make a whole lot of difference in this situation.

I would, of course, prefer not to use cardboard, given the humidity inside the tent, but, again, i don't think it will be a problem physically. May not be too good if it gets wet, but I'll be using Tropf Blumats which I have a nice handle on now. This will be my third Blumat grow, in coco, using Canna A+B. Only difference this time will be the scrog. The netting is a strong plastic, unwired, and the mesh is 2" x 2".

Try and post a pic of this....
Have been growing 6 at a time, but ideally, it's too much with the strains I've been growing. This has lead to overcrowding, and bud rot, or maybe just mould. Either way, not happy with that, so, the idea of the 4 plant scrog is to cut down on the density of the foliage.

I think I'll turn this into a journal.

All comments appreciated.

Re: Cheapskate DIY SCROG...

are you some sort of FOREIGNER? or perhaps a backwards Ah-Ha fan? Either way...just what do you MEAN?

neat idea! it looks a little light tho-- plants might take the scrog table up w/ it as she grows...? maybe coat/cover the exposed cardboard parts w/ (duct tape?) a little water resistant something or other...

No cardboard or duct tape, both hold water and can create mold issues in the critical flowering stage. I would recommend any non-organic material for the frame, water can spill and get wicked up...also measure the pot size and take into consideration what the plant size will be when you start to train the thing.

You could start to train from the get go but you also have to be able to feed and trim under the screen at times... I would go no lower than 8" from the base of the plant to the screen for that reason..unless you are ready for some serious Limbo dancing...lol. That's my 2 cents. :peace:

Ok. Ciscokid - what you say makes perfect sense. About the mold... I already have a problem with that with overcrowding in the tent, so.. back to the drawing board. Had a hunt for suitable materials again today - nothing..but.. I have an idea....to follow..

The SToke

I'vr given in. Had to ditch the scrog idea. I thought I had a way round the lack of suitable plastic pipe and fittings, but I tried it, and it doesn't work. So..I've gone back to my normal method... LST. I'm a little bit late, but it'll work out fine. Tied them all done last night.

But.. I still want to try a big scrog. Using coco and Coco A+ B. I'll keep hunting till I find something I can use.The clones I'm using are now 10 weeks old - and not too big, as I've been holding them back, fimming and running the temps a bit below normal..so, they're still manageable for LST.

I have another idea... just given the basics a try... I'll post pics in a few days, if I go ahead with it. Completely new idea on the scrog frame..

The Stoke

Hey what you have built is functional and gets you started. I would agree in switching materials when you get the chance. I personally recommend 1/2" PVC Pipe. Personally I build hydroponics systems so I have a PVC cutter. You can have home depot cut the PVC for you. OR you can spend $5 and get a PVC cutter of your own. Then can do custom PVC work on the fly when needed. Plus Sticks of PVC are only $1.35ish in price for 10' sticks of it. So one of those and some PVC fittings, they have an elbow with a 1/2" pointing down from the elbow it makes excellent legs. So $2 in PVC fittings, $1.50-$3 depending on size of screen in PVC sticks, and a PVC Cutter for $5 or have them cut it for you for free..

Then you just build a frame with the PVC and I then use Hemp to tie the screen on, just tie it to the pvc frame! Quick easy and cheap. the PVC lasts forever.

I have a problem getting hold of 1/2" pvc pipe.... :) best I can get is 2".

One other thing I've come to realise...a tent isn't suitable for scrogging. How to get in for the hairdressing, trimming, etc under the mesh? Can't see how it can work, practically in a tent, even with side access like what I have.

Tks anyway. I heartily agree with you.

The SToke

I have a problem getting hold of 1/2" pvc pipe.... :) best I can get is 2".

One other thing I've come to realise...a tent isn't suitable for scrogging. How to get in for the hairdressing, trimming, etc under the mesh? Can't see how it can work, practically in a tent, even with side access like what I have.

Tks anyway. I heartily agree with you.

The SToke

I have to ask... where do you live that you can find 2" PVC and not 1/2"? :yikes:

It's usually the opposite situation. Painted wood would work better than the cardboard. At least the wood will maintain its strength when wet, but you will still have the same problems with mold and mildew with any organic material.

Duh... You're in a tent, right? Why not just tie the screen across the tent using the tent frame? Just zip tie the corners of your screen to the tent frame. You're right this creates the issue of access, but every problem is an opportunity to find a solution.

Post more pics! :popcorn:

Try bamboo..

Hi Stokesy.

I made a screen which will adjust to any height as needed within a grow tent. It costs less than $4 in material. All details are in my journal, but here are some pics..

IMG_47332.JPG

Each perimeter lashing looks like:
WP_20130415_004.jpg

It is held to the grow tent using a slip-knot - the kind roofers use when attaching to a safety line. I used paracord in this example. It allows the screen to be height adjustable.
WP_20130415_003.jpg

Some additional surprises of this approach -
  1. By not lashing the interior intersections, I have adjustability when part of the plant isnt going where I want it.
  2. The round edges of the stalks provide great support but dont chafe or damage the plant.. even when I needed to take one out for maintenance.

Hope that helps!
B.A.

I'vr given in. Had to ditch the scrog idea. I thought I had a way round the lack of suitable plastic pipe and fittings, but I tried it, and it doesn't work. So..I've gone back to my normal method... LST. I'm a little bit late, but it'll work out fine. Tied them all done last night.

But.. I still want to try a big scrog. Using coco and Coco A+ B. I'll keep hunting till I find something I can use.The clones I'm using are now 10 weeks old - and not too big, as I've been holding them back, fimming and running the temps a bit below normal..so, they're still manageable for LST.

Re: Try bamboo..

Hi Stokesy.

I made a screen which will adjust to any height as needed within a grow tent. It costs less than $4 in material. All details are in my journal, but here are some pics..

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_47332.JPG

Each perimeter lashing looks like:
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/WP_20130415_004.jpg

It is held to the grow tent using a slip-knot - the kind roofers use when attaching to a safety line. I used paracord in this example. It allows the screen to be height adjustable.
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/WP_20130415_003.jpg

Some additional surprises of this approach -
  1. By not lashing the interior intersections, I have adjustability when part of the plant isnt going where I want it.
  2. The round edges of the stalks provide great support but dont chafe or damage the plant.. even when I needed to take one out for maintenance.

Hope that helps!
B.A.

That's pretty clever. I like the bamboo as you can take it apart and reassemble mid-grow. +rep
The only downside to this idea is now I'm gonna be obsessed about how to scale this up and make it semi-automated... :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom